Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Larger Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Hopsterguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger Electrics

Gary, I can never get tired of that funtanna video
Old 12-28-2002, 12:53 AM
Rudderman98
My Feedback: (19)

Default Larger Electrics

Is this large enough?
I'm working on one this year. Scratch built from the designers plan. All 1/4 stick and weighs around 10 lbs AUW. Differential thrust for water control.

Uses (4) Kyosho Mag Mayhem motors and MAS gearboxes. Inexpensive to build yet an eyeful at the field. This isn't me holding the plane but the designer, Ivan Pettigrew. My plane will be it's twin, the Philippine Mars. His is the Hawaiian Mars.

Perry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43392_9711.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	26007  
Old 12-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Derek_TX
My Feedback: (1)

Default Larger Electrics

More pics Perry!!
Very nice. How does it fly?
Old 12-28-2002, 01:19 AM
Rudderman98

Default Larger Electrics

Well....okay Derek

A quote form the designer on her flying characteristics. " She flies like a BIG trainer" I haven't had the chance to see her in flight but have witnessed Ivan's other BIG and very light birds and they are truly impressive.

Here are the specs of the Mars.
Wingspan: 120 inches
Length: 72 inches
Wing Area: 1,515 sq. in.
Wing Loading: 15.7 oz./sq. ft.
Weight with 18 RC-1700 Nicads: 10lbs 5 oz.

The Prototype uses (4) Mabuchi 550 motors with Master Airscrew gearboxes with a 3.5:1 ratio driving 10X7 four bladed props. Each prop made from two 10X7 MAS GF Nylon props notched and crossed at the center.

For better reliability and performance, I will use the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem (reverse turn) car motors on my plane.
Here's another picture.

Perry

Name:	43405_9711.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	26008  
Old 12-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Rudderman98

Default My other large electric.

Here is my me and my 80" wingspan Titanic B-29 from Germany.
Sorry to say but this kit is discontinued but if you are interested in a super CAD drawn plan of this plane, I can send you in the right direction of someone who has the plan of this plane here in the U.S. Cost is very reasonable too! Just email me at [email protected].

Here is a thread of my plane on another site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=titanic+b29

Perry

Name:	43407_9711.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	26009  
Old 12-28-2002, 08:08 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger Electrics

Fantastic!

Looks like a candidate for the name"Balsa Goose"

A couple of guys and myself are going to be attempting to design and build something similar, but not quite as big. "Open" Design .

Originally posted by Rudderman98
Is this large enough?
I'm working on one this year. Scratch built from the designers plan. All 1/4 stick and weighs around 10 lbs AUW. Differential thrust for water control.

Uses (4) Kyosho Mag Mayhem motors and MAS gearboxes. Inexpensive to build yet an eyeful at the field. This isn't me holding the plane but the designer, Ivan Pettigrew. My plane will be it's twin, the Philippine Mars. His is the Hawaiian Mars.

Perry
]
Old 01-02-2003, 11:12 AM
talybont

Default Larger Electrics

Hi folks,

is this big enough?

7330 mm wingspan
18 kg weight
32 x RC 2400
Lehner 1940/16
Reisenauer 6:1 Super Chief
Freudentaler 20 x 13 Folding Prop
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Derek_TX
My Feedback: (1)

Default Larger Electrics

talybont:

Where do you sit? Is it comfortable? *chuckles*
Big is an understatement! 24 foot span...sheesh! Very nice!

Are there more pics available?
Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Rudderman98

Default Larger Electrics

YIKES!!

How big is your transportation vehicle??
Perry
Old 01-02-2003, 07:31 PM
a088008

Default Larger Electrics

Is the scale 1:1 (just kidding)?

I guess you can easily fly out of range with that kind of size plane. What kind of location do you fly at? I guess that the field must be quite large for you to land at. The other guys at your club must seceretly despise (envy) you every time you come in for a landing.

Does the plane wistle when it does a fly-by. Oooohh! I'd love to see/hear that!!!

-Q.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:54 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Large Eletric

You cannot be serious about flying out of range. I once had a 1/3 scale glider over 2 1/2 miles downwind and at 900 mtrs. The radio link was absolutely solid.
Not quite the sort of size you are looking for but I'm currently building a 1/7 scale Westland Whirlwind, 78" span designed for 2 x speed 700's direct drive on 22 2000 cells. I have fitted 2 Jeti Phasor 30.3 brushless motors and 20 2400 scr cells arranged as 2 10 cell batteries in parallel. It also has spring air retracts on the mains. It was built from a plan in the Traplet Publications Electric Flight International. I will post some photos when its finished. Just awaiting the sign shop to cut the vinyl for the markings and it will be ready to fly.
You might want to look at the plan for Tony Nijhuis's Avro Lancaster. At 11' span and 23.5 lbs with an "upkeep" bomb I think it might be interesting for you. It is designed for 4 x Speed 600 motors with 3:1 gearboxes and 40 cells.Plans are £35.50 + £5.50 overseas postage. There is also a wood parts kit of formers and ribs etc, and a kit of vac formed canopy and turrets for £109.95 and £19.50 respectively.
e-mail:[email protected]
I have seen the smaller version this guy did last year and it flew very well. I can't wait to see it fly at this years shows and drop the "bouncing bomb".
BR
John McNamara
Old 01-22-2003, 07:49 AM
talybont

Default Larger Electrics

Hi folks,

sorry for the long absence. Of course 7,3 m are big but not unable to transport. I have a Peugeot 406 Break (you say station wagon). The wing goes from the front window to the rear window ( full inner length). And in my parents motorhome it is also no problem.

@Derek_TX:
I live in Germany, near Bonn and Cologne. And some more pics are no problem.

Name:	49238_17166.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	26011  
Old 01-22-2003, 07:51 AM
talybont

Default Larger Electrics

...and another one...

Name:	49239_17166.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	26012  
Old 01-23-2003, 02:35 PM
rcflyerdave

Default Endo. motor

Where can one purchase the endoplasma motor,gear,and gearbox? How about the price? Dave
Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 PM
dirtstripper

Default Larger Electrics

Hello! i could use some advice! im building a kadet senior 78'' wing span about 7lbs. i want to fly electric and beinmg new to rc and electricsbeing kinda confusing] i could use some help as to what engine geared or not geared and what size battery pack to use etc. any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! ED
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
dirtstripper

Default Larger Electrics

WOW! that was some flying gwright! im new to rc and electrics! im building a kadet senior to learn on and want to fly dry! the plane has a 78'' wing spam and weighs about 7 lbs! could i impose on your experttise and ask you what size engine to use and weather to use geared or non gearded and what else i would need to get it to the flying stage! i bought a futaba 6 chnl radio a 7 chl receiver and 4 futaba ball bearing servos1 as far as the engine and battery pack to use i have no idea as to what to use! its really confusing to a beginner! anyway any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks for your time and patience! BEST REGARDS! ED
Old 01-25-2003, 05:02 PM
flyboss

Default big electric

I just finnished converting to scale warbirds: H9 P-51 66" with retracts set-up Hacker b50 11xl and F4U Corsair 55" with Phasor 45. Both are a big hit at the flying field it kills the hard core gassers to see this type of scale fly.

Two guys that know there stuff about electric conversion is Zb at www.espritmodel.com and Helmut at www.rc-dymond.com

Isay go big
Old 01-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Saberjock

Default Senior on E-Power

I'm sure there are many options, but the one I know works is as follows:
Astro 40 with SuperBox/24xCP2400/Astro 204 controller/Zinger18x10 prop.

This combo will give great performance and last for a very long time with virtually no maintenance.

A more expensive tack would be a brushless, such as MaxCim.

Why are you asking on this forum, go to Ezonemag.com and peruse the discussion and FAQ areas. Tex.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:19 PM
BoomZilla

Default Larger Electrics

How does a +100" twin electric (with large cheap motors) sound to you?
Sounds good to me. Here is a 72" ZagNutz on twin direct drive speed 400s. Flies great with a construction cost of about $1.50 US.

Name:	50492_16963.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	26013  
Old 01-26-2003, 11:21 PM
bpannier

Default Larger Electrics

I am waiting for spring to fly my Predator electric 899 sq in 65 inch span. Hacker B 50 11 XI w 5.2:i reducer, Battery pack 24 cells 2000 nicads, prop 17 / 10 APC electric. Check out Esprit Models they have a bunch. Cost about same as a pettern ship. These were flown at last years TOC in Vegas. Plane is an ARF well done and very light. Sure wish spring would get here the package was my wifes Christmas present for me.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:45 AM
Ralph Morris

Default Re: "Model" Large

Originally posted by a088008
...I'd like to build the "Caribou" and the Wellington with a 10 foot wingspan at some stage.

-Q.
Wow, a08's, you mean really big airplanes!

My electric-powered models are big, compared to slow-fliers. One has a 54-inch wingspan and the newest 41 inches (300 sq. in.)

These are roughly "40-size" and "25-size" if they were glow-powered, but they are much different than the glow-powered planes I've flown in the past (and still do, but I have to drive a few miles further).

The "40-size" plane weighs only 52 ounces (3-1/4 lbs) and the "25-size" plane weighs only 29 ounces (1.8 lb). These are "dry" weights, with everything aboard except the power pack. Total flying weight of the larger plane is 77 ounces (4.8 lb) and the smaller one 42 ounces (2.6 lb).

You will find that almost all ARFs (and kits) that were designed for glow power will be too heavy to fly well when you to convert it to electric power and add the batteries . I know fliers who have completely uncovered an ARF in order to cut out a lot of wood and re-cover it with light-weight film. I don't recommend that, because the airframe must be designed to be light- weight, and yet strong enough to stay in one piece during "normal" landings.

Recently, there are some new, larger ARFs on the market that were designed especially for electric power, and they are light, light, light.

Good luck with your "really big" models, and be sure to post some pictures. There are photos of my planes in "The Gallery."
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 AM
a088008

Default Re: Re: "Model" Large

I like your M2-E. The covering looks good and the plane is a looker. I surprised to learn that your wing loading is 20oz/sp.ft. She must be need some coaxing to come down for a landing (joke )

Thanks for the support. I'm certainly going to take on a few projects to build large electrics for kitting or ARF. It seems there is a need afterall.

I've flown small electrics and then decided to build my own "bigger" model. It came out at 60" wingspan (see my gallery). It flies great and I could not be happier with being able to fly a larger model. It just seem to be a lot smoother and can certainly take wind well.

I'm participating with some guys is this forum to build a 1:17 scale (60" wingspan) Vickers Wellington. Check it out at "Open" Design

-Q.

Originally posted by Ralph Morris

Wow, a08's, you mean really big airplanes!

My electric-powered models are big, compared to slow-fliers. One has a 54-inch wingspan and the newest 41 inches (300 sq. in.)

These are roughly "40-size" and "25-size" if they were glow-powered, but they are much different than the glow-powered planes I've flown in the past (and still do, but I have to drive a few miles further).

The "40-size" plane weighs only 52 ounces (3-1/4 lbs) and the "25-size" plane weighs only 29 ounces (1.8 lb). These are "dry" weights, with everything aboard except the power pack. Total flying weight of the larger plane is 77 ounces (4.8 lb) and the smaller one 42 ounces (2.6 lb).

You will find that almost all ARFs (and kits) that were designed for glow power will be too heavy to fly well when you to convert it to electric power and add the batteries . I know fliers who have completely uncovered an ARF in order to cut out a lot of wood and re-cover it with light-weight film. I don't recommend that, because the airframe must be designed to be light- weight, and yet strong enough to stay in one piece during "normal" landings.

Recently, there are some new, larger ARFs on the market that were designed especially for electric power, and they are light, light, light.

Good luck with your "really big" models, and be sure to post some pictures. There are photos of my planes in "The Gallery."
]
Old 01-27-2003, 01:46 PM
gwright

Default Larger Electrics

We did fly everything in the TOC demos with Hacker power systems (state of the art in high power electric brushless motors) but we didn't fly a predator as you mention. We had Venus40 arf, two Funtana's (2 meter, 30 cells), 2 acrobats (2 meter F3A, 30 cells), logo 10 and 20 helis, Arianne F5B model, converted hanger 9 Edge 540 with 28 cells (twin hackers on a single "innerdeamon" gearbox), giant scale great planes PT-19, and probably a couple others I've forgotten.

Originally posted by bpannier
I am waiting for spring to fly my Predator electric 899 sq in 65 inch span. Hacker B 50 11 XI w 5.2:i reducer, Battery pack 24 cells 2000 nicads, prop 17 / 10 APC electric. Check out Esprit Models they have a bunch. Cost about same as a pettern ship. These were flown at last years TOC in Vegas. Plane is an ARF well done and very light. Sure wish spring would get here the package was my wifes Christmas present for me.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:08 AM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

Default Larger Electrics

Ed, you might want to check my web page for my electric Senior. http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geraldod/senior.html
What motor you use will depend on how you want it to fly. But you will most certainly need a geared motor setup for best results.
I have flown mine on a wide range of battery types, from a small 8 cell CP1300 pack to 20 cell RC2400 packs. Usually though I use a 16 cell CP2400. In all cases my motor was the same Aveox 1412/4y brushless geared 2:1 and spinning a 16x10 prop.

On 8 cells it will float around at a walking pace, on 20 it goes vertical.

Originally posted by dirtstripper
WOW! that was some flying gwright! im new to rc and electrics! im building a kadet senior to learn on and want to fly dry! the plane has a 78'' wing spam and weighs about 7 lbs! could i impose on your experttise and ask you what size engine to use and weather to use geared or non gearded and what else i would need to get it to the flying stage! i bought a futaba 6 chnl radio a 7 chl receiver and 4 futaba ball bearing servos1 as far as the engine and battery pack to use i have no idea as to what to use! its really confusing to a beginner! anyway any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks for your time and patience! BEST REGARDS! ED
Old 02-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Ralph Morris

Default Re: Re: Re: "Model" Large

Originally posted by a088008
I like your M2-E ...surprised to learn that your wing loading is 20oz/sp.ft. She must be need some coaxing to come down for a landing (joke )

-Q.

Hi Q; Thanks for your kind words about my first design effort for electric power. I thought 20 oz/sq ft was too heavy. My newest design is about 19 oz/sq ft, on only 300 sq in.

Smaller models must necessarily be of lighter construction, because of the scale factor, in order to achieve the same wing loading as a larger model of the same design.

But I've just begun to design and build light airplanes, so I hope to improve. They both fly well, but lighter is better, for flying.

I'm working on plans for my next project; an electric-powered Great Lakes Trainer, of 41-inch span. The GL was a late 1920s biplane, of very advanced design and construction for its time. One held the record for the highest number of consecutive outside loops. For the grand prize, how many loops was it? Extra points if you can name the pilot.

My design goal for the GL is 15 oz/sq ft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.