Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

great planes christen eagle electirfied

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

great planes christen eagle electirfied

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:55 AM
goliath2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes christen eagle electirfied

I have done a conversion of the christen eagle to electric I replaced the BME 50 cc engine with a axi 5330/18 and a jetti 90 amp 10 cell lipo brush less controller The results were The weight stayed the same The performance was Unbelievable vertical was slightly better then with the gas engine Top speed was rediculous fast Run time with a10 cell 5000 mah pack was 6 minits at full throttle YOU DONT WANT TO DO THAT its to fast Not imposable to control but just to fast very good convertion go for it It is very very impresive Yes I am talking about what great planes refers to as the 1/3 scale christen eagle ( acually 29% scale) Ken from rfcbc canada
Old 11-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Hatty

Default RE: great planes christen eagle electirfied

Whew. I bet the electronics got pretty damn hot. Thats a lot of power! I would love to have something like that. I would have been shaking even after it landed.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:13 AM
goliath2

acualy not at all very cool No over heating not even enough to call warm Batteries got a TINY bit warm but motor is about room temp every flight I give it a good one minut safty On my trans timer. so I land before cut off just to play it safe. christen eagles or pitts dont glid very far To much drag.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Helijack

That is cool to know. What prop? Man that plank is heavy. I have the same motor combo going in a 93" Storch I am scratching. Sounds like I will have plenty of touch and gos. Maybe I can talk my friend into converting his C. Eagle into electric.

Did that have any effect on landings, I hear and see they are touchy to land.
Jack
Old 11-26-2006, 11:53 PM
goliath2

I use a 20x10 qpc E prop landing is abit easier beause here is no problem with egine idel or engine stall they re abit hairy but not to bad Havent done a bad one so far
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
stemur1

Hey this conversion thread is just the thing i'm looking for. I have a C.E. with no motor and i'm looking to get an electric setup for it. I was going to go with the Himax HC6332-230 from maxxprod.com and a 85 amp HV esc. I was going to go with a 10s pack at about 6.5ah. Also I was going to swing a 20x10 prop. I'm not sure of the run time but I was wondering if this should be sufficient. I'm also look for some setup pics if anyone can help me out. Thanks Steve M.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:30 PM
goliath2

Im not familiar with that motor I use a axi 5330/18 out runner Check the specs on it at the pacific modles web sight If they are the same or close to the same then I emagine it would work very well I do know that the axi stays cool I personaly would use a 90 amp esc for a safty marigne I was going to use a poenix hv 85 But the A expert told me it wouldnt be safe HE SELLS BOTH OF THEASE . I used a 90 amp jetti esc Very good esc very very good Simple to use and exellent mouting method mabee your esc would work Dont know Exelent place for advice is to call Richard at pacific modles he gives very honest advice tell him what you are working with and he ll tell you the best matches for it Hes is a airline pilot and dosnt just do this to make a buck he has passion for it so he will not try to tell you B.S. just to make a sale Good luck You will be very impresed with how well this bird flies on a 10 cell system if your motor and electric systm will tiurn a 20x10 prop at 5500 rpm or more without burnning up, then you have a hit. Go for it and tell me the results I am very excited at how well this bird is working
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you're only drawing 60, 75, 80, or even 85 Amps, one is no "safer" than the other, really.

The Himaxx 6332-230 has similar specifications to the AXI 5330-F3A, and the F3A is a little hotter than the 5330/18. On the same Watts, the Himaxx will spin a slightly smaller prop than the AXI 5330/18, but performance should be comparable.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:24 AM
stemur1

Thanks a million for input Matt. Now really what I would like to figure out is what size battery should I go with? I know i'm gonna run with a ten cell lipo or I even might be able to get my hands on a very expensive and NON-COMBUSTABLE lithium pack from work(I would have to put th cells into my own pack), but i'm guessing it'll need to be around 6 amp hours maybe more to get a decent run time out of it. Any ideas?
Goaliath, what is the average run time for your bird at a decent throttle setting through out the flight? I really don't want to have short 6 min flights with a battery pack that'll take some time to charge. And the probability of me getting two main batts for one plane at the same time that cost a lot of money in one shot is very unlikely.
Also Goaliath, do you have anypicture of your plane with the electric setup? I would be curious to see how your setup is and where battery placement is. Thanks Steve
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM
goliath2

I use two 5s2p 5000mah pack in seriies to make 10 sell with 5000 mah They are EVO 20c I use full throttle only when rocketing to the stars Most of the time i am at about 66% throttle When I recharge it puts in a average of about 3800 mah and i keep my flighttime to a conservative 6 minuts if i streached it and crused around the sky probably would get up to 10 minuts No pics yet I will in post for you soon hopefully very tidy set up I mounted the batteries half sticking out of the fire wall and straped to the bottom of the cowl (inside) Need them far forward for balance
Old 12-06-2006, 07:20 AM
stemur1

I was recently looking into battery packs for the plane and have almost 100% decided on the lithiums from a Dewalt 36v battery pack. I have a couple documents on the batteries used, how to dis-assemble them, and so forth. The batteries would be a lot cheaper this way and a tid bit better than if I went with a Lipo setup. The Dewalt cells are a Lithium Ion technology and are virtually indestructible as far as combustibility goes. The only down fall to the cells is that they are 3.2vpc as apposed to the conventional Lipo at 3.7vpc. I am willing to make that small sacrifice after looking at the price difference. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:20 AM
goliath2

Well i am not familiar with what you are talking about I havent heard of that before The only thing that worries me about useing sells with that much less power is THE POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO My eagle has just barely enough power to pull away from a hover If there was any less power Or any more weight . It would not be 3 D capable Right now it dose awsome tork rolls at about 85 % throttle just concider if the less power is acompanied by more weight that would seriously efect performance I would think however the 29% christen eagle is not a lighty airplane
Old 01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
stemur1

After speaking with some R/C guys from work, battery/ power systems designers from work, and the guys posting in the A123 support forum, I'm gonna go with the HiMaxx 6332-230 brushless/ Phoenix 85HV ESC, and i'm gonna try a 19x10E APC prop. A 12s2p LiIon A123 pack made by myself and i'll use one of the rectifiers from my work to charge the packs(1200w 39-56v@25A). I'm hopefully going with two e-station PB6 dual-link balancers to balance the packs. I got a GREAT price on the motor/esc/prop combo so I couldn't pass them up. I should fall in at around 9 min flight times based on some calcs we did and I should be looking at approx 115w per lb. I'm gonna build it and see what happens. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:17 AM
goliath2

sounds to me like a good combo Should have plenty of power Might fly to fast though Easy on the throdle Dont rip it apart 12 sell would typicaly be a higher rpm = more speed If its to fast try a 22 x8 or something like that ( less pitch anyway ) let me know how it turns out
Old 02-13-2007, 05:18 AM
goliath2

check out my new project im very excited about this one the BME 37% ultimate electrified Go search it and follow the progress sould be fun
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

I'M REVIVING THIS THREAD

Because I have just picked up a GP Eagle that has been started a little and I'm hoping some other electric conversions have been done and could guide me a little with mine. How 'bout it, anyone else done this?

Dave
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
goliath2

New teck now adays Eagles electric are a dime a dozen now And newer lighter faster discharge and charge batts are abound The egle has been colecting dust because out of my ten planes ive only replaced the reciever for ONE to spectrum ( a new club rule ) and im flying full scale so that sucks up most of my modling budjet haha My latest and curently flying plane is a 35% yack 54 with a hacker a-150 motor I use 12 cells Its good to 14 but i have huge safety marrgines and still exessive power. Nanotect batts from turnagy have a 6 minut charge rate so no more need for 4 chargers LOL Good luck with your eagles HEY safety note My garage was burnt out from charging my lipos OLD SCHOOL flight power. and I checked on then 5 times before I let it finish its charging. also a friend lost his HOUSE do to fire and its suspected that a set of CRASH DAMAGED batt is to blame chare bats OUTSIDE when posable and keep DAMAGED batts in a fire proof box or out side.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

goliath2

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of just going with the DLE55 and mess with gasoline on this one. I'm about to sell my last two glow planes and hope to never look back. My largest electric now is a Jungmann 55" from texasrcplanes.com very nice bird.

We live at Stuart Island (WA) in the summer and I fly a C180. Drop in sometime
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
goliath2

Ya hats what I did it first I got rid of the glow and stuck with electric and gasoline BUT it was a short time that the clean and trouble free operation of electric spoiled be and i love the just plug in and go hasle free. Although I will admit the bigger youget in electric the more cridical it is to match everything up perfectly to get smooth operation.