Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Li Poly batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Mobile Phone Li Poly batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
colbourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Phone Li Poly batteries

These are now available very cheaply e.g. 750mAh for AU$5 (Australian dollers approx.US$4) .

What amps can you get from these ?
Can I just charge these in my phone and then use them in my park flyer as is ? (2 Li Po replacing old 7.2V NiCd pack)
Do they have electronics built in to protect the batteries in use ?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: Mobile Phone Li Poly batteries

colbourne:
Most cell phone lipos are only good for a 2c discharge rate or in your case around 3 amps tops and then it is pretty hard on them. About the only thing that uses that few amps are small brushed indoor geared motors like the IPS and LPS type motors and some of the pager motors guys adapt to small models. I am using lap-top batteries that are 3c discharge rate and are 2300ma on GWS 300 & 350 geared motors with good success so far many have 60 cycles on them so far without a failure and they were used when I scrounged them up (daughter is a computer tech). If your motor is a low amp draw jobbie give it a try and see!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Bob
Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
flyingace451

Default RE: Mobile Phone Li Poly batteries

They will not be able to handle the load being pulled by most planes, with few exceptions. If you found some electronic device that uses more electrical power to run and uses lipo battery packs, then you might be in business. If you had a small, slow indoor plane that pulled little to almost no amps, then those batteries would be perfect.