Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumb Lipo Questions from Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Dumb Lipo Questions from Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM
pllm2708

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Lipo Questions from Beginner

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have been flying nitro heli (TT Raptor) for 4 months now and have just started into elec heli. I know these are dumb questions but I'm at a total loss with these elec jargons (re Lipo packs).

OK, the question is firstly, what does it mean and secondly what's the difference between say a pack of 3S1P and a 3S2P - do they both produce same voltage of 11.1 V??? Same amp? Can I use both the packs on the same heli? I wanted to buy the Hurrican 550 where they connect 2 packs of 3s with a "y" connector - I'm a bit puzzled - I read somewhere that the ESC will read/take the packs as 6s but its still 11.1v and not 22.2 v......I'm really confused and I'm sure a lot of other beginners are just as confused as I am.

Can one of you wise guys out there enlighthen us dumb beginners on these Lipo jargons and the implication of the different ways of connecting/putting the packs.

Thanking you all in advance.

Sincerely

Philip
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
borna

Default RE: Dumb Lipo Questions from Beginner

3s1p = 3 cells in a series, 1p = parallel..so 3s1p is one pack of 3 lipo cells, soldered in series = 12.6 volts
3s2p = two 3cell lipo packs in parallel. This will double the Ah, but keep same voltage as the above example.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Sound it out:

S = Cells in Series (an "ess" sound)
P = Packs in Parallel (a "pea" sound)

3S2P = 3 cells in series per pack, two packs in parallel.

Basic electronics, when you connect cells in series, you add voltage, and when you connect packs in parallel, you add capacity.

Knowing this, you can tell that the statement about the ESC detecting a 3S2P pack as 6S is wrong. The ESC senses voltage, not the number of cells, and makes an assumption about the number of cells. There are six physical cells, but they are connected such that they only produce a voltage equal to a 3S pack.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I had to laugh when I saw this from the main Electric Aircraft Universe forum page.

RE: Dumb Lipo Questions from ..
4/17/2007 7:54:23 PM
Matt Kirsch

Obviously, I had to investigate.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
jzrf6c

Just remember there are no DUMB questions. It's dumb to not ask!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
p40blues

when you overchage it and it 's smoldering on your bench do not throw it in the sink and turn the water on you will die and burn down your house