Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adrenaline (my latest design) - Pictures!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Adrenaline (my latest design) - Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:44 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adrenaline (my latest design) - Pictures!

Thanks for the compliments. I'll be finnished with the covering in a day or two. The compound curve on the wingtips was a nightmare to cover. I'm glad that's over with. So there are more pictures coming.

About the SR-71 pitch control issue. I was thinking today and it hit me. Essentially I wanted to have a lifting body that acted like a canard, but there are no pitch control surfaces up front, as is the case with a canard. So, I thought, what if I put a pitch control surface up front. This would stop the tendancy of the model to pitch up and stay up despite "down" elevon.

I've attached a picture of what I'm proposing. I don't know how pitch sensative this arrangement is going to be since the forward pitch control is really a reverse elevator i.e. the hinge line is at the back of the elevator. It should however provide a way to control the lift produced by the nose.

What do you think?

-Q.

Originally posted by MR Flyer57
It looks like a very clean design, but there is one problem that scratch builders of the SR 71 black bird came across. It seem that if it is built to scale, the plane had a tendency to pitch up. the front nose section had too much lift and would cause the pitch control problem. Your plane looks like it will have a lot of front nose lift also. On you first flight be aware that if you put the nose too high you might have a problem getting it down. Good luck and great job. I will look forward to your progress. also if you want any particulars, I can send the designers comments for the SR 71 that I have. It is just plans and I have not built it yet. And by the way,, Great photos!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58115_10389.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	35731  
Old 02-25-2003, 01:27 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

a088008:
...the hinge line is at the back of the elevator. It should however provide a way to control the lift produced by the nose.
Sir, that is a guaranteed crash. Prove it to yourself by holding 4x12 sheet of balsa in your hand, as you drive at 35-40 mph, out the window with the sheet in front of your hand. When you feel how much power it takes to hold it flat into the wind you'll drop the idea.

Now if you put two small booms forward at each side of the nose, and pivot your canard 1/5 to 1/4 of the way back from the leading edge you could use a link to your elevator servo to operate it, or it could be your only elevator.

But never pivot a control surface behind the aerodynamic center, if you want the second flight with the airplane.

Fly twins, they're fine
. To keep you of sound mind.

Bill.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:34 AM
a088008

I must confess that I had a good chuckle when I read your reply. I was waiting for someone to point out this obvious flaw, UNLESS the "reverse" elevator has a suffiently small cord. I was thinking between 1/4" and 1/2" cord. The trick would be to find a cord small enough to create an effect without getting a force keeping it deflected with sufficient power. Ah, scrap the idea.

If I am to place a canard-type control surface at the front I'll do it the conventional way, as you suggested.

-Q.

Originally posted by William Robison
a088008:

Sir, that is a guaranteed crash. Prove it to yourself by holding 4x12 sheet of balsa in your hand, as you drive at 35-40 mph, out the window with the sheet in front of your hand. When you feel how much power it takes to hold it flat into the wind you'll drop the idea.

Now if you put two small booms forward at each side of the nose, and pivot your canard 1/5 to 1/4 of the way back from the leading edge you could use a link to your elevator servo to operate it, or it could be your only elevator.

But never pivot a control surface behind the aerodynamic center, if you want the second flight with the airplane.

Fly twins, they're fine
. To keep you of sound mind.

Bill.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:43 AM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your design has really raised a lot of interest in the group.

I think I would just try it as designed. If it becomes too much to handle you will know during your gliding and CG tests.

Who knows, it may fly like a dream. Start slow and if it gets beyond the control limits hang it in the living room and make another with canards. Or you might add them to yours.

I think the Wright Brothers had a control surface in front, a little like the one your thinking of.
It might work if you don't have too much speed.
Marshall
Old 02-25-2003, 06:41 PM
a088008

Default I'll fly it as-is first

It's nice to see so many people input there ideas into a project. I really like working on new and un-tested stuff, so there will undoubtably be many more designs for you guys to chew the fat over, in the future. I have a VERY contraversial design coming up sometime this year. I have seen mention of something similar to what I've designed, but I've taken it to the next level. All I'll tell you is that it's not a conventional planform and it might shake up the weight-lifting competition world a bit. It's just a pitty that I will not be able to enter the design in a formal contest. Maybe a demo flight, though. Now, I said sometime this year, because my idea is still in the "napkin" phase.

I've decided to fly the "Adrenaline" plane as-is and see what happens. If there are problems in glide tests then I'll consider a canard-type control surface under the nose of the plane. This way I can keep the lines clean and keep the control surface safe from those nasty nose-in landings (the front landing gear will protect the nose and canard control surface). I'm know for my landing techniques - or lack thereof. I think it's a depth perception thing, or maybe I'm just blind and nobody has bothered to let me know.

The Wright Bros knew the thing or two about aerodynamics, even in those days. They overdid it on the lift of their machine, much like what I'm expecting from my design, but it flew. I hope I can emulate their success.

-Q.

Originally posted by MR Flyer57
Your design has really raised a lot of interest in the group.

I think I would just try it as designed. If it becomes too much to handle you will know during your gliding and CG tests.

Who knows, it may fly like a dream. Start slow and if it gets beyond the control limits hang it in the living room and make another with canards. Or you might add them to yours.

I think the Wright Brothers had a control surface in front, a little like the one your thinking of.
It might work if you don't have too much speed.
Marshall
Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 PM
a088008

Default Formula for controls throws?

I have a question on control throws:

I'd like to calculate what control throws will acceptable for "Trainer" type pitch flight characteristics based on wing area and and elevator area and possibly including wing cord and CG in the equation. I'm guessing that the equation would calculate the pitch moment at the hinge line of the elevator. Anybody got an idea of how to calculate this?

-Q.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Bish Wheeler

Very interesting design ......but it won't fly, at least not very long. It has got to have conventional canards. I can't get a handle on how big the plane is. Thinking really small, but what is the WS. Love that you are "doing' it.

Bish
Old 03-01-2003, 04:22 AM
a088008

Default 50" wingspan

Hi Bish.

It has a 50" wingspan and the body is 19" (excluding fins). The wing area is 384 sq.in. and the dry weight of the structure (no covering or radio gear/battery/motor) is just less than 6 oz.

Thanks for the support (I think ) I will be testing this weekend and should have some glide and possibly flight test results very soon.

-Q.

Originally posted by Bish Wheeler
Very interesting design ......but it won't fly, at least not very long. It has got to have conventional canards. I can't get a handle on how big the plane is. Thinking really small, but what is the WS. Love that you are "doing' it.

Bish
Old 03-02-2003, 05:23 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daffy Duck was pretty good.........I think the nose is more of a Platypus looking beak. "Air Platypus" is the name I choose.....what do you think?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:05 AM
a088008

Default Good one

I like the name. I just hope the plane does not take it literally and try to swim in the air. It will look like a fish on land. Maybe I can come up with a new aerobatics pattern - "the platypus". LOL.

-Q.

Originally posted by imsofaman
Daffy Duck was pretty good.........I think the nose is more of a Platypus looking beak. "Air Platypus" is the name I choose.....what do you think?
Old 03-02-2003, 03:13 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All joking aside, your design is awesome! Looks like you have a winner. Post your results please.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:27 PM
a088008

Default Will do.

Thanks for the support. I like the design, and the covered plane looks awsome. I used monocote and it's made the whole structure very rigid and strong. I'm very pleased with the result as I was worried about wing warp.

I've covered and stretched the film, but I need to redo a couple of spots due to a !#$%? heat gun. It has uneaven heat distribution (I was not aware of it until I looked - nearly burn my eyebrows in the process - just joking ) which caused certain spots of the film to overheat and burn a hole in one particular case. It's not long now and I'll be doing some glide tests, but before I do I'll post some pictures of the final, covered model. Look again tonight, or tomorrow for some pics.

-Q.

Originally posted by imsofaman
All joking aside, your design is awesome! Looks like you have a winner. Post your results please.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Speedo125

Great design, very nice photo's. I'm thinking that a EDF version would be really special. Please keep us posted. You DID save the plans/patterns when you built her, right??
Old 03-03-2003, 04:27 AM
a088008

Default Gliding was "interesting"

Well. I can give you an update. I did some glide tests today without any gear in. It was VERY pitch sensative. I did have the CG a little back and this made things quite interesting. The plane was gliding well and then all of a sudden pitched up at a 30 degree angle and then 45 degrees down. This all happened in about 0.2 seconds. Yip, lightning fast. I could not believe it. A tiny gust of wind had taken the nose up and then pushed it down. The nose just amplified the reaction. I'm going to be putting a lot more weight up front to help control this, but I'm afraid that the plane might be too unstable to fly. I'm still going to try, though.

I have thought about an EDF version. The plane actually has an air intake under the back of the wing. Look at the pictures closely and you'll see it.

Anyway, I'm going to finish the covering tonight and post some pictures.

There has been such an overwhelming response to the design that I'm determined to make her fly. I'm going to make modifications, in the event the current one is unflyable. The second one will definately fly! And, yes, I've got full 3D plans of the ship.

-Q.

Originally posted by Mistral
Great design, very nice photo's. I'm thinking that a EDF version would be really special. Please keep us posted. You DID save the plans/patterns when you built her, right??
Old 03-03-2003, 04:45 AM
William Robison

a088008:

Nose weight and about 1/8" reflex in the elevons. Changed a C/L flying wing from unflyable into fantastic.

Throw all but the wing into the can,
. If you can fly that, you're a hell of a man.

Bill.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:00 AM
a088008

Default Good setup advice.

Thanks for the advice on setup William. I'm intending doing just that, although I'm not sure what flyable is going to mean for his plane. I'm basically going to punch the throttle and hold on for as long as I can. Kind of like riding a bull. I do not pretend to be an expert pilot, but I'm prepared for this plane. I have been having day dreams about flying it for about 2 months now. That, and the fact that I'm going to set the controls very conseratively to begin with. This will make sure that my minor mistakes don't become big ones, although I suspect that this plane will not tolerate even a single mistake.

-Q.

a088008:

Nose weight and about 1/8" reflex in the elevons. Changed a C/L flying wing from unflyable into fantastic.

Throw all but the wing into the can,
. If you can fly that, you're a hell of a man.

Bill.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:15 AM
William Robison

Q:

Find the aerodynamic center, set the C/G a little ahead. Suggest 1/4". That will instantly make the airplane stable. Consider an arrow.

Initial trim on the elevons should be a little up (Reflex).

If you set the C/G too far forward the airplane will be too fast, but with sufficient reflex it will fly. Move the C/G back a little at a time, and you'll reach a point where the speed is good, the glide is good, and it wont be overly sensitive. Unless you set the surfaces to "3D" travel angles.

A flying wing is quick.
. Keeping it level, there's the trick.

Bill.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:43 AM
a088008

Thanks for the advice. I'm definately going to set the balance point a little before the CG. I'm going to start at 10% (the guys in the aerodynamics forum have been a great help in determining this). I'm going to also add reflex, as you suggest.

You've given me hope. I'm quite excited to get it in the air now.

-Q.

Q:

Find the aerodynamic center, set the C/G a little ahead. Suggest 1/4". That will instantly make the airplane stable. Consider an arrow.

Initial trim on the elevons should be a little up (Reflex).

If you set the C/G too far forward the airplane will be too fast, but with sufficient reflex it will fly. Move the C/G back a little at a time, and you'll reach a point where the speed is good, the glide is good, and it wont be overly sensitive. Unless you set the surfaces to "3D" travel angles.

A flying wing is quick.
. Keeping it level, there's the trick.

Bill.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:12 PM
a088008

Default New pictures (covered)

The next 7 posts are the lastest pictures of the plane. I've covered everything and got the control surfaces in place. The last step is to setup the radio gear and CG. Then, it's time to down a glass of the "right stuff" and head on over to the runway.

I hope to have a flight report in a few days.

-Q.

Name:	60530_10389.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	35732  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:13 PM
a088008

picture 18.

Name:	60532_10389.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	35733  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:14 PM
a088008

picture 19.

Name:	60533_10389.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	35734  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:15 PM
a088008

picture 20.

Name:	60534_10389.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35735  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:16 PM
a088008

picture 21.

Name:	60535_10389.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	35736  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:16 PM
a088008

picture 22.

Name:	60536_10389.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35737  
Old 03-05-2003, 07:18 PM
a088008

picture 23.

Name:	60537_10389.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	35738  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.