Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a nice balsa kit. Suggestions needed.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Looking for a nice balsa kit. Suggestions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
MX57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a nice balsa kit. Suggestions needed.

I am looking for a nice balsa kit which will be my third plane. I prefer bigger planes but will consider everything. Price isn't that big of a deal but I really don't want to spend too much for just the kit; if it comes with a motor the price can obviously be higher. I will look at all suggestions and they are all really appreciated. Thanks,
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Looking for a nice balsa kit. Suggestions needed.

There are a lot of good kits out there I think are great. Are you really looking to get a kit, or did you mean an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly)? Because most kits run between $15-$200 and often includes little to no hardware. The box usually contains a plan (manual) and a bunch of balsa wood. Most ARF's come with all required hardware and some even with the motor. Balsa already covered, just needs radio equipment. I can give you some good suggestions if you let me know which one you're after and also the type of plane you want.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Red B.

Removed!

Posted by mistake, sorry!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Fliprob17

In the $100 range take a look at the E-Flite Mini Pulse XT. In the $150 range, and a really nicely built plane, take a look at the 3D hobby shop Yak and Katana.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
MX57

Thanks for the suggestions fliprob, i'll take a look at both. And Technito, I'm lookin for a kit, not an ARF.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 PM
sarakj48

I just built a Sig Kadet 25 as my first electric conversion. I was impressed with the quality of the kit and had a lot of fun building it. In the end you will spend more money than an ARF but have more fun
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Technito20

I'm gonna build a kit version of the Lancair ES this winter. The kit runs from $100 to $150 range, depending on size. I'm building the a .60 size one like the one from Tower hobbies. It comes with a lot of the hardware as well. It'll help pass the time for me this winter

Just a suggestion for you

Here's how it looks ---> http://www.lancair-es.com/index.htm
Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I've been a big fan of SR Batteries kits. www.srbatteries.com They have done a great job designing, lasure cutting and illustating thier manual. you will find building thier planes a joy. The only draw back I have found is that the suggested power supply are a bit out dated. You can do much better with lipo and brushless power.

Check out the X-250. It handles great!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have given us very little to go on, so I will send you to my favoriate kit source, www.mountainmodels.com . These are mostly electric planes but they also have some gliders. I am working on my 4th MM kit now.

I just finished the SmoothE

The Eva Bipe looks interesting.

The hi-rise is an electric sailplane if you would like to try some soaring.

The other I will recommend is www.polecataero.com

Their Guppy Semi scale electric sailplane might be fun.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
MX57

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the X-250 and I really like the Mountain Model kits, but which kit do you think would be good for my third plane (first kit)? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
r/cmark42

I'm not sure of your piloting skillls so that is a tough question to answer. A Kits (especially balsa) is a bit more frgile than some of the foams or even the plywood reinforced models out there. if you are a beginner to intermediate, I would reccomens somethng like the Acro-pro (SR batteries). If you are more intermediate than the X 250 will give you much more pleasure. I'm not familiar enough with the mountain models to offer an opinion on thier kits
Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MX57

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the X-250 and I really like the Mountain Model kits, but which kit do you think would be good for my third plane (first kit)? Thanks.

Don't know what your first two planes have been, but if it's the balsa build experience that you're wanting to get, look at both the Dandy Sport and the Switchback Sport. Both from Mountain Models.

The Dandy is high wing, the Switchback low wing. The Dandy was my 3rd plane and it is a real honey, both as a build and as a flyer.

There are gatting to be more and more options out there, but from experience, you can't go wrong with Mountain Models. Stevens Aero also has some very high quality balsa kits.

Enjoy!

BobbyG

Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
MX57

What do you guys think about the MiniFlash from Mountain Models?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
aeajr

Mini Flash looks great! Do you have any experience applying covering to wings? Is there someone to help you?

If not, you may want to look at the SmoothE. It is a balsa plane with a foam wing that you can cover using colored packing tape.

Either would be fun planes.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM
MX57

I really like the MiniFlash and am leaning towards getting it. I don't have any experience applying covering, but my dad does and he will help me. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:15 PM

I just built a World Models Sky Runner kit. It is a great kit, but it is a smaller plane. It looks great and is very well built, and the QC was amazing. just A SUGGESTION.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:20 PM
davidgeorge212

I would like to get one of the mountain model planes and I know the general concepts of how covering is done but I never have done it myself, are there any tutorial videos on the internet that show professionals showing how to put on monokote? or are there any other places that I could learn how to put on my first covering?

Thanks
David G.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 PM
davidgeorge212

Actually, I know you are a big recomender and I would appreciate it if you could help me find a good kit. I am currently flying a mini pulse xt from e-flite but I would like to do a full build kit. This will be my first plane build, but I do have a little bit of know how experience from watching my dad build and repair a few planes.

What I am looking for in my first build is:
1. electric powered
2. Some what easy to build with clear instructions
3. I would really prefer it to have ailerons
(right now price is not to big of deal because I am pretty much open to anything now)

Are the mountain model planes for a somewhat beginner builder for a first build?

In my perfect world I have a few 3c 2100 mah batteries that I am using in my t-rex 450 and mini pulse and I would like it if I can find a kit build plane that I can use those batteries in. But I am open to buying a new size battery if need be
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
r/cmark42

http://www.srbatteries.com/kits.htm
I've heard a lot of good things about mountain model planes. not having ever built one of thier kits, I have always recomended SR Battery kits for beginners. you won't find a kit with better instructions and parts that practically fall together. if you are are true beginner, you might consider building the "Cutie". This offers you a fixed wing version of the "acro-pro". You can purchase the Acro-Pro wing seperatly once you are ready to move up. If you are already for airleron flight then the Acro-pro or the x-250 are the way to go.
The power systems they offer are a bit dated but easily converted to brushless power if you prefer. good luck and happy flying!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
davidgeorge212

I wonder why the cutie is so expensive compared to the other ones it is like $99 and the acro pro is like $109 and the x250 is only $75.

What all comes with the cutie and acro pro kits, just the balsa wood and hardware?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
r/cmark42

From what I remember, you will have to purchase the radio, power system and the coverings seperatly
Old 07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
davidgeorge212

SR Batteries and Mountan model kits "look the best so far, I wish I knew what the difficulty of mm planes are to build, of couse they say they are like 3d jigsaw puzzles that are laser cut and assemble easy too.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:26 PM
r/cmark42

http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...Fjr6d8XEY288X4

Trying not to confuse you but give you other options, the above is another site of kits I have built. They are a bit less expensive but I found the directions not as clear as well as the parts not the quality of other kits. With some thought and a little more work, the end product should be comperable.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: 187

I just built a World Models Sky Runner kit. It is a great kit, but it is a smaller plane. It looks great and is very well built, and the QC was amazing. just A SUGGESTION.
I also just put a Sky Runner into the sky. Like it a lot.
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...?ProductID=100

Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

SR Batteries and Mountan model kits "look the best so far, I wish I knew what the difficulty of mm planes are to build, of couse they say they are like 3d jigsaw puzzles that are laser cut and assemble easy too.
Mountain Models kits are very easy.

Any of these would be easy to build. Quick and fast and great flyers.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25_29_76

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.