Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Confused on hooking up the ESC and Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Confused on hooking up the ESC and Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM
devizzle7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on hooking up the ESC and Battery

Okay heres the situation, does the esc only connect to the receiver, and does it get its power that way?, or do you have to connect the battery to the esc and the receiver. This is something thats been mind boggling to me since I noticed that the there are to wires coming of my esc and they are stated as being positive and negative connections for a battery. This is something I am not for sure about. I was thinking that esc got its power from the receiver along with everything else thats connected to the receiver. I'm Lost Help!!! The battery it self has a jack to connect to the receiver then another connection for something else. Don't know whats its for. HELP!!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Kiiski

Default RE: Confused on hooking up the ESC and Battery

Actually,
the receiver gets it's power from the esc, provided the esc has a bec (battery eliminator circuit). So the battery connects to the esc, the esc connects to the motor, and a seperate set of wires, with a servo type connector goes to the receiver. If your esc doesn't have a bec, then you would need to connect a seperate battery to the receiver to power it. It sounds like the battery you have is a receiver pack battery, not a motor battery. Is your battery pack a plastic holder that hold four AA's, or is it a shrink wrapped Nicad or nihm, or a LiPo? Also, what brand and size of esc are you using?
Kiiski
Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM
devizzle7

Hi Kiliski, in response to your question on what my setup is I have a a Blue Arrow 20 amp ESC and a Common Sense 11.1 volt - 800 mAh lipo pack.[8D]The battery has a female connector with 4 holes.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 PM
jdetray

The 4-pin female connector on your lipo is only used for balancing and charging the battery pack (assuming you have a balancer or a balancing charger).

In addition to the 4-pin balancing connector, your battery has another set of two wires, probably one red and one black. It is these two wires that connect to the red and black wires on ESC. You will have to purchase a connector for the ESC that mates with the connector on your battery pack.

The ESC contains a circuit called the Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC). The BEC is a voltage regulator that reduces the 11.1 volts of your lipo down to either 5 or 6 volts, a voltage that is safe for your receiver and servos. This allows you to use just one battery to power both the ESC/motor and the receiver/servos.

The 3-conductor control cable from the ESC plugs into the throttle channel of your receiver, usually channel 3 in the USA. One wire in this cable carries power from the ESC to the receiver. Another wire in the cable carries control signals from the receiver to the ESC. The third wire in the cable is the common or ground.

Check the hookup diagram below.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65233.gif
Views:	25
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	689146  
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 AM
CitaFly

Here's a guide that can help:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=31]Basic RC Electronics[/link]

Pics explain it all.