Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

electrifying the Sig Riser

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
longboard
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrifying the Sig Riser

I have a Sig "Riser"that I'd like to convert to electric .I'm not sure whether to go brushless or not.I don't want to use li-po's probably NI-MH.What type of motor would you reccomend for a brushless?For a brushed I'm thinkingof one of the master airscrew geared systems or a great planes speed 600 direct drive or geared.Suggestions appreciated.Also what is a good formula for determining motor size and battery size for an aircraft.I don't ask for much do I?Thanks much!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
sharpshooter223

Default RE: electrifying the Sig Riser

its a glider so you only need enough power to get it high enough, which is why im guessing you didnt choose to give it a glow engine. i say you should build a motor mount on top of the wing and use a direct drive speed 600 with a triple bladed prop. i wouldnt spend all that money on a brushless system for a glider. maybe you could even add some spoilers onto it with the money that you save by using a brushed motor.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Dsegal

> which is why im guessing you didnt choose to give it a glow engine. <

The great advantage of an electric motor in a glider is that you can turn the power on again to: 1) reclimb to altitude to seek lift and 2) be able to return to the field when the wind is adverse and 3) stay out of the landing pattern until the hot planes are out of the way.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
sharpshooter223

well, that seems rediculous for a glider, i mean, its a glider, thats what it does, GLIIIIIDDDDEEEE. the point is to try and keep it in the air, but if you really wanted that with a glow engine, all you have to do is install an in flight starter for it.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
sharpshooter223

i dont think you should be flying a glider in wind anyway
Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Dsegal

> well, that seems rediculous for a glider, <

For years I have enjoyed putting a folding chair on the flightline and taking up an electric motorglider or Old Timer and sailing around with repeated climbs if the lift in one location runs out. And gliders fly quite nicely in the wind and not having to sweat a deadstick landing with our field lined with tall trees makes things much more pleasant. I don't understand why there is some virtue in having to land and restart a piston engine repeatedly. In 14 years of RC flying I have never encountered anyone actually using an in-flight starter and anyway, I fly such planes with .10 or .15 engines and it would be silly to add a starter, even if one existed.

And just for the heck of it I looked at Northeast Sailplanes and they list 81 different electric gliders they sell and e-gliders are also sold by Tower, Hobby Lobby, Herr, Aerocraft and other firms. Does that sound so "ridiculous"?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Pilon_1

Hi all,
I am in the process of building an electric powered Sig Riser 2m ant am searching all of the motor possibilities too. I flew nitro powered gliders for a long time and was never happy with Hi-Starts. I later built a wench got higher and faster launches but what a pain in the butt to set up and retrieve. My uncle has converted a Dynafite Butterfly (pictured) and Piece-O-Cake to electric and my cousin is converting an Oly 2. I will keep in touch with my progress.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81766.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	920762  
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

What did you want to do, modify the nose to accomodate a built in motor, or use some type of power pod to go above the wing? Either way, I think you couldn't go wrong with one of the Nippy brushless outrunners from Hobby Lobby. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-uberall.htm I'd use the smallest one combined with a Graupner folding prop if I were doing the conversion. Should make a really nice combo. They are extremely efficient, super powerful, and very, VERY, quiet. I'm running the smaller one in a GWS Formosa (yes, I know different application but it would work great in a glider, they even specify what weight glider if you notice) and on a Thunder Power 2100 11.1V it pulls a really nice vertical, does huge loops, etc. I get about 17 minutes of aggressive, power on aerobatic flying so you're glider would get considerably more time since you're only using the motor power to take it up to altitude and hunt for thermals.