Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

3 Channel NEXTSTAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Team Fine Design

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Channel NEXTSTAR

I have noticed that the Hoboco Nextstar has alot of diehedral.Can this plane be flown with out ailerons ?? Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 PM
jzrf6c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 Channel NEXTSTAR

Any plane can be flown without ailerons if you're good enough! I use to fly my Nextstart with Aileron after taking off just to get the feel of flying with rudder. Actually, as I recal it was my instructors idea not mine. I believe I learned a lot from the experience.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 3 Channel NEXTSTAR

I agree. You can fly any airplane that has enough dihedral with just the rudder. The rudder/dihedral coupling would bank the plane just as it does on a R/E parkflyer or glider.

Of course, the next question is would you want to, and I would say, no. While it will work, and of course people flew glow planes for years on rudder alone, with today's inexpensive radio systems, the cost of the 4th channel, for ailerons, is very small. The increased control you gain with ailerons is very significant and well worth the cost.

If you were going to fly it on 3 channels, I would recommend aileron/elevator/throttle.

So why are so many small electrics flown on R/E alone? In my opinion it is that these planes are so light that they can be responsive and easily managed with limited controls. In addition their generally slow flight lends itself to this type of flying. Finally, R/E high dihedral designs are more self leveling and self correcting and harder to over control than and aileron plane, in my opinion. This combination of light weight, slow flight and high stability creates a situation where pilots can self train and actually have a chance of learning to fly before they destroy the plane or cause any serious damage.

I would not want a 5-6 pound plane that can do 60 mph being flown on R/E alone. Others may disagree but I think, for that type of weight and speed, I would want more positive controls. And, while the NextStar has a flight assitance system, it still assumes that the pilot will be receiving training from an instructor.

I hope this adds some value to the discussion.