Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

CA verses Wood Glue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Low&Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA verses Wood Glue

I just received my Great Planes ElectriCub from Tower yesterday. Going through the instruction manual there is a 'advisory' about keeping the model light and using just the right amount of glue. My plan was to use Wood glue instead of CA but now I'm wondering if I will be adding any unwanted wait to the model. I've read in another thread about using wood glue for building, and I'm under the impression that it's a pretty common practice. Can anyone advise me if my original plan to use wood glue will be ok, or should I use CA in the places where the manual advises.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-09-2003, 12:35 AM
jchuston

Mike-

I am not sure about the weight issue, but I know from my experience that it is a lot nicer to have the CA bond and hold in about 15-30 seconds where wood glue takes forever to dry...

Just my $0.02

-John
Old 03-14-2003, 08:39 PM
bkyser
My Feedback: (1)

Go with your first instinct!

I purchased a sig 4* 40 from a friend who is getting out of the hobby...... new wife....... I would have kept the hobby and gotten rid of.... never mind.

Anyway he had built one wing half using CA. I am allergic to CA, so I used Elmer's Pro Bond II (exterior grade) Now, let me explain. I am not what you would consider a "dainty" builder. I always use too much glue, here's the moral of the story.... my half, glue runs and all, came out so much lighter, that I had to add 1.5oz of lead to the outmost rib on my side, just to make the wing balance. ( AND I HATE TO ADD WEIGHT!)

Pro bond doesn't set in 30 seconds, but with some strategicly placed weights, or rubber bands, you can keep going. I bulit the whole airplane ( minus the wing half he did) starting after work on Wednesday, then worked on it after work Thurs and Fri nights, had it covered and was flying it on Saturday. I wouldn't call that taking forever.

The way it was explained to me is that CA uses moisture to cure, and actually "gains weight" Wood glue works by the liquids evaporating, so it loses weight as it cures. And the old "the wood will break before the bond" saying comes into place. CA is actually Brittle, that's why they say not to use it in critical places. That's good enough for me.

Sorry about the long response, I was almost killed by CA, and I am pretty passionate.

Bob
Old 03-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Low&Slow

Thanks for the advise. Truthfully, I started building last night, and I did stick to my original plan of using wood glue. So far so good.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been building since the 1950's and noadays I use wood glue ,CA, Fabric glue and Sigment. CA for tight fit balsa joints that I glue after putting together, wood glue for most joints and always for any hardwood or plywood and Sigment for any area that I may need to sand afterwards. I use fabric glue to glue on canopies and to glue wing servos in place. Sigment in thin layers, dries in about 1/2 hour most of the time.