Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Imax lipo charger help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
RedGN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imax lipo charger help.

I recently aquired a imax b6 lipo charger. Actually it's suppose do charger many types of batteries.

It did not come with a power supply but i had a 16vdc 1 amp handy.

Here is the Problem. When i plug in the power supply to the 1max unit, the unit starts beeping and the message :' INPUT VOL ERR ' displays on the screen.

I looked up the message in the manual and it means that the battery is not the correct voltage that i am trying to charge. However ther is no battery plugged inot the charger.

The manual says to go to the menu and change battery types, however i can't go into the menu. The unit keeps beeping and the 'INPUT VOL ERR' keeps getting displayed on the screen.

Is there something i am missing ( i have read the manual ) or is the unit defective?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Imax lipo charger help.

I think that is a input voltage error. try connecting to as source 12 volt battery. I think your 1 amp supply is to small.

ORIGINAL: RedGN

I recently aquired a imax b6 lipo charger. Actually it's suppose do charger many types of batteries.

It did not come with a power supply but i had a 16vdc 1 amp handy.

Here is the Problem. When i plug in the power supply to the 1max unit, the unit starts beeping and the message :' INPUT VOL ERR ' displays on the screen.

I looked up the message in the manual and it means that the battery is not the correct voltage that i am trying to charge. However ther is no battery plugged inot the charger.

The manual says to go to the menu and change battery types, however i can't go into the menu. The unit keeps beeping and the 'INPUT VOL ERR' keeps getting displayed on the screen.

Is there something i am missing ( i have read the manual ) or is the unit defective?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
jdetray

A 1 Amp power supply is not enough. You'll want a power supply in the 5 Amp range, at least.

Also, be sure to use a regulated power supply. A 16V 1A supply sounds like it might be a "wall wart" type power supply, which is probably unregulated, in addition to being too small.

- Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 PM
RedGN

Yes the power supply is a wall wart, but that's all i had handy. Do you think that is the problem? I really can't see that because i was not charging or discharging any batteries.

Does the unit need more current than one amp just to get the menu? Wow that's sure is one power sucker.

I'll try it on a 12v regulated poer supply

Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM
jdetray

You would not think the charger alone would draw more than an Amp, but I'll bet it works fine with a more robust power supply. It might be the lack of regulation; perhaps the charger is detecting voltage fluctuations.

- Jeff