Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Setting up plane for the first time. Which way do ailerons go?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Setting up plane for the first time. Which way do ailerons go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 AM
lacofdfireman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up plane for the first time. Which way do ailerons go?

I know I should already know this but am having a hard time trying to figure this out in my head. When I put my Right controller stick to the Right to make th plane turn Right should the Aileron go up on the right side and down on the Left or is it opposite. How about Rudder and Elevator? I am confused. This is my first build from start to finish by myself with now help. Well kinda since you are gonna answer this for me. I am building an E-Flite Ultimate BiPlane... Thanks, any tips tricks etc, would be appreciated.....
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Setting up plane for the first time. Which way do ailerons go?

Looking from behind the plane...
- when you move the right stick right, the right aileron goes up and left goes down.
- when you pull the right stick back, the elevator goes up.
- when you move the left stick right, the rudder goes right.

An E-Flite Ultimate bipe is not exactly a plane that is suitable for a beginner. If you manage to set it up right, you are still unlikely to do much better than crash it in a few seconds.

You need a trainer.

(I am judging your flying skills by your setup skills... I could be totally wrong about that.)
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Sir Raleigh

Rather than trying to memorize and remember the various stick and control surface movements and their results on the plane, look at it the same way the plane does...

Stand behind the plane as if you were sitting in the cockpit.

Move a control surface (lets assume ailerons, since this was your original question, and you move the stick to the right).
For the time being, let's just consider one aileron.
What happens to the control surface?
The right aileron moves up.
What happens to the plane?
The air over the wing hits the raised aileron forcing that wing down.
If there is enough dihedral the plane will turn to the right.
If there is not any dihedral as in a warbird the plane will roll to the right.
Moving the stick to the left will have the opposite effect and will turn or roll the plane to the left.

Now for the rudder.
You move the rudder stick to the right.
The rudder moves to the right.
The tail of the plane is forced to the left which in turn forces the nose to the right.
If there is enough dihedral the plane will turn to the right.
If there is not any dihedral the plane will slew to the right. (this is how a plane can land in a crosswind, and a plane without any dihedral can turn with the aid of the ailerons).
Moving the stick to the left will have the opposite effect on the plane.

Now for the elevator.
You pull the elevator stick back toward you.
The elevator moves up.
The tail of the plane is forced down which in turn forces the nose up and the plane will climb (although contrary to popular belief is not the main purpose of the elevator, which is used to pitch the nose up which will actually slow the plane down. The motor is used to increase and decrease altitude. As an example, the elevator is used during landing to pitch the nose of the plane up, or flare, just before touchdown to slow the plane to it's stall speed so the plane will slowly descend and land).
BTW, the phrase "Pull Up!" comes from this stick/rudder movement. Although pulling on the stick to make the plane go up is not the main purpose of the elevator, it can have the effect of having the plane gain enough altitude to avoid a crash.

Pushing the stick away from you will make the elevator go down, forcing the tail up and the nose down. The results, again contrary to popular belief, is not to decrease altitude, but to make the plane fly faster by putting it into a dive.

Now for the throttle.
I think I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. Just remember, the main purpose of the throttle is to gain and loose altitude, not speed up and slow down the plane.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Think about how an airplane works and how the control surfaces on the airplane work..

Usually if a control surface "comes up" it will deflect wind "up" so that deflection pushes that part of the plane down..

IE. If the left aileron comes up, the wind is deflected up and the left wing will go down.. This downward movement of the left wing will cause the plane to roll to the left..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

This plane will be too difficult,and will be destroyed in seconds.
Get your Hobby shop to line you up with something more suitable.if you have lots of sim time,you may last a few minutes,but its not a good plane to learn with at all.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM
lacofdfireman

Yes, I have to admit this plane is probably not the right one for me and might not last along time. I do have some experience flying planes, I Started on a Kadet Senior that I had for over a year then I had a UCANDO for about 6months that I flew. I could do fine until I flipped it to Dual Rates then it was to much for me. I have been flying a Home Built foamy for the past year but hate to say "Every" plane that I have owned I have had someone else set up my Futaba Radio and the plane for me and trim it out and everything. I just figured I need to learn how to do this on my own instead of relying on everyone else to do all the hard work for me. Flying to me hasn't been the hard part. To be honest it's sad to think that I haven't really even paid that much attention to which way the elevator, ailerons or rudder moved. I just new which way to push the sticks.

The big reason that I asked this question is that I cannot figure out why the heck when I push my stick to the Right for ailerons my Right aileron is going down and the left is going up. I knew this was wrong but can't figure out how to fix it. My radio I a Futaba T8UAF Computer Radio and I have figured out how to scroll through the menues pretty good and it gives me two options for Ailerons. There is a REVERSE function that gives me a choice of NORMAL or REVERSE. If I have it in Reverse I get the above scenario that I already descibed. If I put it on Normal both Ailerons go Up when I push the stick to the Right and Down when stick is to the Left.

I was wondering maybe I had a setting wrong in the computer but can't find out why my sticks could be reversed? Any ideas. Also both of my servos are on there own spot on the reciever. One in Position 1 and the other in position 6. I have tried switching positons, reversing them in the reciever and nothing. Any other ideas?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you are a competent flyer. I think the plane will be OK.

Sounds like you could still use help with the set up, but now you need someone to tell you what to do and check that you got it right.

I am not familiar with Futaba radios. Do you have anyone local who could figure it for you?
You could also try in the radio sections here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_157/tt.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

If you've flown then this plane will probably be just fine
Its hard to do on the internet,I'd kindly ask someone from a club or so to come over and set this up from step one,maybe even video tape it,so you can use it for referance later.
Once you learn properly,you can set up most planes in a similar manner.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Peterfi

For the plane to roll right, the left aileron moves down and the right aileron moves up when you move the transmitter stick to the right.

As I understand the problem, when you move the transmitter stick to the right, the right aileron moves down and the left aileron moves up. To correct the problem, go into the right aileron menu on the transmitter, then set the servo to opposite that it is presently set (for example, if the servo is set to the normal position, change it to reverse) then go into the left aileron servo menu and do likewise.

Best of luck