Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginner Question-Battery Setup

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Beginner Question-Battery Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
fredmcl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Question-Battery Setup

Hi, this is a very basic question, but a very real one for me:

I am just starting a Mini-telemaster ARF, and will use an E-flight setup, 450 motor, 20 Amp ESC, and 11.4V 3 cell lipo pack.

Here is the question: I install a separate Nicad 4v or 6v for the receiver, correct? The only leads off of the Lipo pack are the 3 wires leading to the ESC and the one that plugs into the balancer/charger. There is no lead for the receiver.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something, and the instructions that came with the telemaster are vague, plus this is my first EP.

Thanks.

Fred, Maryland

Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
dignlivn

Default RE: Beginner Question-Battery Setup

Does the Esc have Bec ?

Bob
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
fredmcl2

Bob, thanks. I am vaguely familiar with what a BEC does, and it does not have one. Therefore, I believe I set up the receiver with its own power source and the motor is run from its own source (lipo pack), correct? Just wanted to make sure I was not msising something.

If a BEC can be added to the existing set-up, maybe that is a better solution, so look forward to hearing from you. I was trying to use an E-flight motor/esc/lipo set up that I already had without spending even more money, but maybe I do need to learn about BECs and invest in one.

Fred
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Sir Raleigh

Could you post a link to the ESC you are using?

Unless it's a ESC with a large current capacity it should have a BEC.

Also. on the ESC, look at the small 3 wire cable that has a black plug on the end.
Is the red wire hooked up to it?

Another way would be to hook that small 3 wire plug to the throttle channel of your receiver, turn on the transmitter, plug in your flight battery and see if anything works, ie, servos and/or motor (remove the prop first, though).
Old 01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
fredmcl2

OK, more to follow when I am at home and can write down the specifics of the ESC.

Fred
Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Your 11.4V LiPo battery plugs into the ESC (two wires with a power connector like a Deans connector). The ESC plugs into the receiver (a three conductor wire with a servo connector on the end). Most ESCs in that volt/amp range will have a built in regulator or BEC to convert your 11.4V LiPo voltage down to 5V to power your receiver. If you wish to run the receiver off of a separate battery pack, AND if your ESC does have a BEC, you will have to disable the BEC. This is usually done by just clipping the center wire on the ESC's servo connector, which provides the BEC's 5V output. Alternatively, you can just by a short servo extension, and clip it's center lead, so you don't have to modify your ESC's wire/connector (you may want to use the ESC's BEC in another plane later on).
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
fredmcl2

Hi, I just read the ESC instructions again, and though not absolutely clear, I now see that a BEC is included, and there is a lead that is for the battery slot in the receiver. I thank all of you for your kind responses. I went to another site and read about BECs and with your responses and that info, I now think I get it. It is an E-flight 25 Amp Pro Brushless ESC.

Thanks agin.

Fred
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
-pkh-

The servo lead on that ESC is NOT for the battery slot on your receiver. It is for the THROTTLE slot on your receiver. The power and ground pins on all of the receiver slots are tied together, so the ESC can power the receiver when it's plugged into the throttle slot (or any other slot for that matter). If you plug your ESC into the battery slot, you will have no control of the ESC.

Battery slots on receivers are there to allow you to use all the channels on the receiver AND be able to plug in a separate receiver battery. Some receivers don't have a battery slot, and you must use a y-connector on one of the channels if you wish to use all the channels AND plug in an receiver battery. The Hitec Electron-6 is one example of this, note the CH6/BATT designation on one of the slots (see link below):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCXM8&P=ML
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
fredmcl2

OK, thank you very much for the clarification. Once again, there are no diagrams or specific instrcutions in the pamphlet that came with the ESC/BEC. I have already made several costly errors in learning how to do electric flight, so I appreciate the info very much.

Fred
Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
whitecrest

Depending on the radio you are using, it may also be necessary to reverse the throttle channel (usually channel 3) to ensure the ESC will be at zero speed when the throttle is at zero. If the motor will not spin up with increased throttle, you should consider this possibility. With my Futaba radio, I had to reverse channel 3 to get the right throttle relationship. Otherwise, with many ESCs you will default into programming mode. It's probably a good idea to omit the prop until you nail down the ESC setup. Good luck with the Mini Telemaster!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
shoes53

i would like to know how or what i need to  do   or buy   to   change my  radio system  24 ghz lactic tx440 which was for  electric flight with esc and 3cell batt . i want to use on a new plane required for a os max 15   how do  i fire up the servos  wiithout the esc and the 3 cell batt . i was told i would need another receiver , dont know how this is done    new to nitro  would appreciate the info
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: shoes53

i would like to know how or what i need to do or buy to change my radio system 24 ghz lactic tx440 which was for electric flight with esc and 3cell batt . i want to use on a new plane required for a os max 15 how do i fire up the servos wiithout the esc and the 3 cell batt . i was told i would need another receiver , dont know how this is done new to nitro would appreciate the info
If you're referring to the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYWM9&P=ML]Tactic TTX440 radio system[/link], then you just need to buy a four or five cell [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRH6&P=ML]receiver battery pack[/link], which will just plug into the "BAT" socket on your Tactic receiver.

If you need another receiver for the second plane (i.e. you're not taking your existing receiver out of the electric plane to use in your nitro), then you need to buy another [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZNR1&P=ML]Tactic TR624 receiver[/link]

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ec89260.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1572677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35817.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1572678  
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
shoes53