Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

World Models UNIJET EP

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models UNIJET EP

I have only had a few flights with my Helios, but it is showing great promise. I got it so I could practice flying with a bit more precision than I do now. I can fly reasonable well but not with the precision I would like and that I have seen others fly. With this thing I can throw it in the back of my car, (No support gear, just two batteries and theTX), and get in a few flights whenever I am near the field (during working hours sometimes!!).
I started with a 5S 3300 battery and a 14x7 prop (about 60 amps). next weekend I will try a 4S 4500 pack and a 15x8 prop.
I have read over the years many articles on trimming but have never really tried to get the best from my models. I hope to get the helois as near to perfect as possible.

The little Unijet is going on the backburner for a few weeks. I am going to Russia in 10 days to fly in a Mig 29. It is the only place in the world where a civillian can fly in a supersonic jet. I can't wait.

Regards

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 AM
phildo

[sm=what_smile.gif]GOOD GOD!!![sm=what_smile.gif]

TOM ARE U KIDDING!!!

Going to Russia? Far out mate ..... Thats way cool. Are you going to BLOG it somewhere?

Take the Unijet on board .... At least you can claim its gone supersonic??

Phil
Old 04-02-2008, 04:04 AM
TommyWatson

Hi Phil,

No, I am for real. I have wanted to do this for a long time. I could buy a new car with what it is costing me but, Well you only live once. I am 65 years old and need to do this before I get much older. I had to do a complete pilots medical exam with an ECG.
The length of the flight is about 50 minutes.
They do a cockpit video or you . I hope I don't throw up.

The company that organises the trip is:-

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/migs/index.html

I will post some pics when I get back. I leave for Russia via Hong Kong on sunday 13/3/08

Regards

Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 AM
phildo

FANTASTIC !!!

That my friend, is what you call 'AN ADVENTURE'. I'm 37 and already looking for the things I need to do before I retire!

I've always had an adventurous side, (ex army recon, naval patrol boats, police ect .. ect), and I really admire people like you who

"Dare to be different." Bugger the car, go balistic old mate!!!

One day very shortly .... no one will have these high risk adventours due to liability, so go for it mate, your a rare breed.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

I lost a really good mate last year from a heart attack. You never know when your time is up, so I have decided to make the most of whatever time I have left. I don't want to be laying in hospital wishing I had spent the money. You can't take it with you. I am still working (I work in the Mobile Phone industry and they pay lots of money for my experience). It keeps me young, working with the young guys makes me feel 25. It is not until I walk into the washroom and look in the mirror that I realise how old I realy am.

I really enjoy this hobby of ours, I have been modeling since I was 6 years old. Started with rubber models (almost never got one to fly well) then control line, then radio. First radio model was a single channel Aeroflyte Invader.
I have several turbine models and a really nice Turboprop powered 35% Extra. It is a beautiful thing to fly and gives me a lot of pleasure.

You have a long way to go yet but don't stop dreaming.

Regards

Old 04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
phildo

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

You just keep going up the on the pedestial I've placed you on !!!!

Well said. Do it for your mate as well, because this country was founded on mateship (sadly lost on people today I believe).

Yes, modelling has given me a lot of simple joys and Yes ,.. I have got a long way to go (I hope). However, If you do 'spud in' in Russia and become a crater, CAN I HAVE THE TURBOPROP EXTRA !!!!

Just kidding, very nice Tom. I hope your hair catches on fire breaking the sound barrier ..... MAV!!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 AM
TommyWatson

My son said I should put little yellow stickers on all of my models so He will know who to give them to when I am gone. Your name is on the Extra!!!

One thing they do when you are getting ready for the Mig flight is to show you where the Ejection Seat handle is located. I hope I don't need it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24678.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	919870  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 AM
phildo

Somehow ...... I think the only thing your gunna need is full face helmet to hold in that "HUGE GRIN".

Funny how you said about being sick ..... Only in neg G's I hear. I gave up my seat to a mate in the army for an back seat ride in a F18 at Tindal in 2000. He threw up but said it was worth it (dont ask me why I gave it up ... I never have forgiven myself).

Man, I'm envious.

Jes' mate,... the Unijet thread is a bust!!! (I'll pitch in more when I get one in the next few days). This is way more interesting.....
Good stuff mate.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 AM
phildo

Finally got sucked into getting a UJ from the LHS.

I bought a Phenoix YAK54 electric and was really happy with it. However it needed a battery bay made up so off I went to the LHS and 20 minutes later walked out with a Unijet. Strewth. I cant help myself.

I had a chance to look over it but its school holidays and I've got OPK's (other peoples kids) hanging around everywhere in the house!!!! One of the little buggers picked up my UJ air frame and was going to toss it into the air!!!

Breath in .... Breath out .....

Anyway the model looks okidoks and should be fine except that dodgie front wheel set up [:@] .... whats the go with that!!!

I can feel a mod coming on .... even before I CA the hinges!!!!

QUESTIONS:
1. Can you hand lauch this ship ??? Anyone??
2. My EDF looks a bit of a cheaper copy than the one BDavidson shows in his above post photos... His looks carbon lookalike, mine is cheapo plastic looking.

Phil ... (aka Kidzillar the grouch)
Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Phil,

Mine does NOT have the Carbon Fibre look like the one in the photo. It just looks like black glass filled nylon.
I ran it last night and it really does make a noise. I have a 30A ecu but should have got a 40A. on 3 cells it draws just over 30 amps. I tried it on 4 cells andit went to almost 40 amps, I was frightened I was going to "let the smoke out".

Even with a 40A ecu I am not sure the motor would take much more amps.

It seems to have good power. I have never ran an electric D/F before so I have nothing to compare with. It shold fly ok but it won't have vertical performance.

I read somewhere else that you can hand launch by holding the rear "spine" and launch underarm.

As far as the nosewheel is concerned, I fitted some bigger wheels to the mains and used one of the original mains as a nose wheel. I bent up a leg from bigger dia wire and just put a right angle bend inside. I locked this with balsa blocks. I really don't think you will be taxiing this thing, and as the rudder is in the jet blast I am sure there will be plenty of rudder authority on takeoff. It has go onto the shelf for a few weeks til I get back from russia. I wil be going to the World Models shop in Hong Kong on my way back. I wll see what goodies they have there

I am going out to fly my Hyperion on saturday. I got some 5000 mah 4S batterias and a 15x8 prop.

Regards

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
phildo

Thanks for the ideas Tom,

I will probably do the same with the running gear as you described. I have a 45 amp ESC which should be fine and will probably maiden the UJ this weekend, if the weather holds.

Really hope everything goes well for you in Russia with the Mig ride mate. It should be very impressive to say the least. Almost as impressive as the Helios with those 4s 5000's your feeding it. Out of site verticals here we come.

The WM shop in Honkers should be good chance to stretch the credit cards legs as well ... !!!

'Turn and Burn' Tom I will call you from now on ..... (I mean the mig ride ... not your ESC!!!)

Phil ...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Phil,

I would like to know how much current the moter will take. With 4S it goes over 40A. As they are only cheap I might get a large esc and see how long the motor lasts. As I said it doesn't have super performance but adequate. I would like a bit more.

I will have my computer with me so I can answer emails and look at RCU, so let me know how the Unijet goes.

Only two more sleeps till I go!!!.

Regards

Old 04-11-2008, 12:51 PM
bdavison

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that....

The shroud is not carbon fiber. It is a black composiplastic stuff. I put carbon fiber stickers on mine...

As far as the Helios 63e
Tommy, take a APC 15x10 with you when you try out the 4cell on the helios 63e....Thats what Ive got on mine, and it seems like the perfect prop so far. Ive got a TP 4cell 4600mah extreme in mine. Its got plenty of vertical performance.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
phildo

HA HA HA .... thats funny BD!!! Stickers!!! I was ranting off to a mate at the hobby shop by saying, "Typical,... ARF manufactures producing the goods at the start of production runs ...only to slip off later on!!" The funny bit was he was agreeing with me all the way!

I'll have to tell him that you stuck stickers on the fan housing ..... Man, that really cracks me up.

TOM,

You must be getting like a kid at christmas eh!!?? Yeah, as to the motor ... It's a little bugger but I would be interested in how far it can go. It would be the smallest motor I've used and probably the quality isnt quite there. Fire her up I say ... However, If you want a little more performance than I would look at upgrading the fan to perhaps a HET 6904 fan with motor combo ... same size. I dont know how much extra thrust it would put out, but I know of guys using this setup and being happy with it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
bdavison

I flew the UniJet twice today at Hodges Hobbies...once during a demo...

Anyway...during speed trials, my stock UniJet was clocked at 77mph.
77mph on the stock motor and fan unit setup.

Fun little jet. It satisfies my need for speed.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

Well I did it.

Mach 2 (2100Kph) 12000m (about 37000 ft)
Split "S"
inverted 200 ft over the field, roll, tailslide.

it really was an "Incredible Adventure"

Here are some pics. I will try to post a video when I get home. (I am in Hong Kong now).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22831.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	934604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88942.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	934605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14502.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	934606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59708.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	934607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71109.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	934608  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
phildo

TOM,

FANTASTIC MATE!!!!

Wow! What an achievement! Thats a real story to tell there mate. Great pics and I can wait to see the vid.

I bet you were smiling all day!! Nice work Tom, You'll never have to guess whats its like ever again!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

BD.... Yeah mate I couldnt agree more... I really enjoy my Unijet ... Just something different. Need to replace a servo on the ailerons, started to chatter a bit to much for my liking. Did you have to use an extension for the battery / ESC? Mine is a bit short and is upsetting the CoG due to the battery being too far back.

Again Tom, Very cool!!! I bet the grand kids think so too!!! Enjoy honkers, bring back lots of goddies.

Phil
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
bdavison

phildo, I have part of my lipo up in the nose cone of the plane. I found that the plane likes a little nose heavy. It flys faster, and has less tendancy to tip stall. It is harder to get it to take off though with too much nose weight. Ive even hand launched it a couple of times. You gotta give it a REAL good toss...and make sure its straight. It will settle down about 4ft and then come back up.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
patrick randall

Pls excuse my butting in - does the UJ motor can attach directly to the fan in some way pls?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM
phildo

Hey Patrick,

Yes it does ... Unusually the motor is a outrunner and the fan/rotor slips over the can of the motor and is attached by three screws.

The whole unit is then attached to the fan housing. Simple and it works fine. I had my doubts but it is doing a good job and keeps the blades of the fan aligned as not to touch the housing whilst rotating. Clear as mud.

Click on the link below and open up the instruction manual ... go to page three and see the exploded view. All will be reveilled.

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...airplaneid=182

BTW ... to go with BD comments ... this thing is LOUD!!!

Phil

Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
phildo

Forgot to reply to BD....[)]

Yeah mate I was going to add a little weight to the nose but have decided (sensibly) to order some 14 AWG silicone wire to make an extention for the ESC to the battery and balance it out that way. As to take off distance ... I fly off a 100 meter grass strip that is really well kept at the club... its like a bowling green (excellent work by volunteers). However I will be flying off rough grass in the next few days with some mates.... So I see how the hand launch goes then. My need my protein shakes to build up my throw!!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
archcsr
My Feedback: (3)

I saw the Unijet at a local hobby store. Almost bought it but wanted to see what people had to say online. Any opinions as to what the best first ducted fan to try might be??
Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 AM
phildo

Archcsr ... Mate I have had this little yellow rocket for a few months. It is a simple plane to set up and fly HOWEVER, it does have its vices. The main one is that as said before .... you need to fly it smooth and scale like. It is a simple fun plane and it can be hand launched and lands nice with a little power. Again, its no park flyer, but its different and I love it. I fly all sorts of gas and electric helis and planes but this one is a keeper. Nice little unit, but again it depends on your experience and needs (read ... not a robust plane and wont tolerate abuse).

Enclosing ... yes a nice little inexpensive EDF unit for your first. Nuf said.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:36 PM
Wulffboy89

Default Need help

Hey I hope everyone's doing alright. I've been given one of these recently by a club member who had turned it into a lawn dart on accident. He gave me the fuselage with elev and rudd servos as well as the esc. I'm going to get the ER6GV receiver and a battery. I've already got a transmitter. The thing I'm having trouble with is where I can get replacement wings and associated servos and parts of the like. Any help with this would be really appreciated. God bless.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:45 PM
Wulffboy89

Default Need Unijet EP ARF Wings

Originally Posted by bdavison
I bought one....
Its a testy son of a %&*&$%.

Tip stall like crazy if you get too wild on the elevator.
Needs quite a bit of runway to get it airborne, and just as much to land it.

That being said...its pretty sweet.
The stock motor is impressive. Its a good fan unit.

As far as flying....it will roll and loop and even stall turn. Flys im guessing in the 60-70mph range with a good downwind push. Although it wont do much, it is fun to fly...It will test your skills for sure. You got to be smooth with it. dont yank it around...it wont tolerate hard pulls. Go easy on the rudder.

Whatever you do...DONT SLOW IT DOWN on a landing. Keep some airspeed on it. If you get it too slow. It will drop a wing with NO warning whatsoever. I already had to rebuild on wing after it tipstalled on me on a landing approach and cartwheeled from about 4ft up.

The elevator linkage is a bit tricky. You will probably have to use a xacto to carve a little bit out of the top of the vertical stab where the linkage comes out so that the clevis wont bind up.

Your gonna need a 40A esc or above and a 3cell lipo capable of at least 20C to get any performance out of it.

Here is a pic of mine.
Hey I hope everything's been going well for everyone. I know this post is pretty old so hopefully there are still people who can help. I got one of these from a club buddy who turned it into a lawn dart lol. The fuselage and nose are usable but he wasn't even able to salvage the salvo's from the wings. Does anyone know where I can get replacement wings, or know where I can get the specs for the wings and I'll have my wife cut it on her laser machine? I have a 35a esc installed, elevator and rudder servos and pushrods, no battery and receiver and no wings. Any advice is greatly appreciated and happily accepted as I'm very new in the rc world. Thanks in advance and God bless.