Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Good Electric Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Electric Trainer

Hi-- I got a student that we are trying to teach to fly-- He has several of those toy-store planes that will barely turn, no elevator like the firebird or whatever. He wants to step up to real flying with aileron, elevator, throttle, etc.

We had him buddy boxing on a .40-size glow plane this last weekend, but he really wants to stay electric. Maybe something that flies a bit slower too. Repairable foam or EPP foam would be nice, but not mandatory.

There's got to be something between the kiddy toy store stuff and a F-27 Stryker or 3-D shockie.

Any ideas?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good Electric Trainer

The GWS Estarter was my first 4 channel electric. It will fly like a trainer with a brushed motor and nimh batteries.

The only real concern with a first build with that plane is the battery bay. GWS batteries are not recommended and whatever you use (cheapbatterypacks.com custom pack option!), you have to make sure they will fit in there. So you either get a small pack or enlarge the bay BEFORE assembly.

You also need to secure the hatch as the stock one opens in flight, ejecting batteries. Easy to fix, but it needs to be taken care of.

If there's not a giant thread on this site on the Estarter, RCGroups will have one.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi Sgsterling,

I guess the important question is how much flying/learning will he be doing on his own and how much will he be getting help with. If he will only be flying when there is an instructor helping him, then there is virtually an unlimited number of planes that he could go with. How much building is he interested in doing: does he want to go with a kit or an ARF? How big does he want to go with: a parkflyer or something that can only be flown at club fields?

Lets assume that he wants a plane that can be flown anywhere (a parkflyer) and that he wants to get up in the air right away, so he will want an RTF or ARF. If he will be flying mostly on his own, then the two best planes for him to consider are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar, both of which are 3-channel (no ailerons). If he will be getting initial help from an instructor, then he could start with either the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag) or the ParkZone T-28 Trojan, both of which are great trainers for aileron control.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Have him get a real model. The Telemaster Electro from Hobby Lobby set up exactly as they recommend. This is a plane he will enjoy far beyond learning to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29388.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	891512  
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Also look into the Electristar. My son and I just got 2 of them for our first planes. I don't know why everyone seems to be affraid of ailerons. These are the first planes we have ever flowen and we had no problems flying with ailerons. I tried flying with the rudder and elevator only and I found the plane to be more difficult to fly. Maybe the Electristar isn't designed to fly this way.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Have him get a real model.
What's that supposed to mean? That the thing hangin' out front is bigger than 10 inches?

Last I checked, the Estarter was a real model.....
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Take a look at the 3D Hobby Shop trainer. www.3DHobbyShop.com
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM

If he's going to fly at the club with instructors perhaps the magistar from multiplex. Electric 4 channel trainer. It's a big plane for a foame, but is the magical multiplex elapor so easy to fix with CA etc.

If he's going to fly away from as well as at the club then mini-mag (mini version of plane above) or estarter as suggested by other fellow. Mini mag can be hard to find a good motor for. The included brushed motor is inadequate, but getting a slow enough motor which fits the mount can be tricky.

"My son and I just got 2 of them for our first planes. I don't know why everyone seems to be affraid of ailerons. These are the first planes we have ever flown and we had no problems flying with ailerons."

Glad it's worked out well for you. For a lot of beginners it doesn't. Otherwise gifted beginners make two flights with their aileron equipped model and come back here and tell us all how they had no problem - then strangely after that they dissapear - having seen "beginners" do it my own theory is that confidence outstrips ability, with less reservation they roll past 90 degrees, and rather than self correct through a stall turn the model stays where they put it, they can't figure out how to fix it, their brain goes into lockout, and the plane goes in. That self correcting nature from an overbanked turn is the largest reason that more seasoned flyers tell beginners to stay away from ailerons. That's my opinion anyway.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 PM

if he's on a budget, look into this one:
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=224
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks to all who responded. It gave me a big spread to offer to the student.

I think he has chosen the Hobbico Electistar. It is a pretty big plane at 6 lbs, and should fly like a 40 size trainer. We live in a pretty windy area, and this should do well compared to the real lite stuff.

It also seems to be a real deal price-wise. I'm hoping he will step up to the cost of Li-Po's instead of the Nickel Metals, as they both reduce wait and store more energy (longer flight times). But of course, more costly.

I'm surprised that we should be able to get him into what is essentially a 40-size trainer for about the same $$ as a glow-based .40.

We usually tell students to plan on spending $500-600 to get started with glow, by the time you fork out for starters, glow drivers, chargers, glow plugs, fuel, yada yada.

We should be in the same range, even with 3 battery packs and a good balancing charger.

Again, thanks for the help.....
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM

I've worn out an electristar or two and moved on to bigger things. Make sure he knows how to use the rudder. The rudder is all important at slow speed where ailerons just won't work. Wish I had known this at the beginning as I could have turned the plane around the other way.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 AM

you're supposed to use both at the same time.