Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

DX6i low voltage warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
divergoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6i low voltage warning

So I just got my DX6i a few weeks ago. Promptly installed flaps on my MUS and had enjoyed several flights with the new configuration. I was flying 2 days ago when my radio starting "beeping". It took me only half a second to process that it was the low voltage warning on the transmitter. I immediately started an aggressive decent. Then into a spiral to land. When I tried to level the wings nothing. Quick "jiggle' Of the sticks and no response. Luckily the plane doesn't have any major damage. Is there anyway to change the low volt warning in the radio. I know I should look in the book but it's at home and I'm getting ready to go to class, YAY had 5 full days of summer vacation the life of an engineering major.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
TallDoode

Default RE: DX6i low voltage warning

Not sure on the DX6i but there isnt one on the DX7 :-(. One thing you may want to look at is a higher capacity battery. I have one from Maxamps for my DX7 and while it was a painful and expensive process getting it and getting it to work so I really have trouble recommending Maxamps as a company, it is a good battery. If you can find one somewhere else I recommend you do that. It is a very nice change to have enough juice for a full day of flying instead of 10 flights like I used to get with my stock radio battery.

I know I didnt answer your question but it may be a good solution for long term.

Cheers,

dave
Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the Tx you mention but don't think you really want to change the warning, What you do want to do is make sure what kind and what size the battery in it is. Most present day equipment have NiMh batteries of 1500 Ma. which should last for MANY flights if properly charged. When a new radio is sold the batteries are not fully charged you MUST charge them before use. If you hadn't done so that was your problem. Read your radio instructions.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto what everyone else said, and I have the 6. Also to get better life out of the pack, which I believe is only a 600 mAH, or that could be my Futaba tx, is to cycle the packs.

They tend to not last long if you don't run them down and then slow charge them back up a couple of times.

I know on mine last year I didn't use it much at all, and at our summer meet it only ran about 10 min before it fired off the alarm. I cheated and rigged up an adapter to my reg cell charger to fast charge the pack so I could use it. Followed by a bunch of cycling of the pack the first night. Really seemed to help with how long it lasted before hitting low volt.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My DX7 has one. It goes off at 9 volts. It's given me a fair warning a couple of times.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

What type of batteries were you using? NiMH or Alkaline?

Alkalines probably require a higher threshold for the low voltage warning than the NiMH batteries. Since you can use either type, it would be nice if the DX6i had a selectable threshold based on battery type.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nimh. Had to take the back cover off to see what it was. Never had the cover off for the last 3 yrs. It's the batt. that came with it, 1500 MA. I can fly Sat. and Sun. without charging with lots of flying. I have always charged it with a Hobbico fast field charger.

Gord
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
-pkh-

Actually, my question was for divergoff and his DX6i, since it takes four AA cells.

The DX7 has an 8-cell battery pack, it doesn't take individual AA cells.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
divergoff

I've been using the stock nimh AA batteries it came with. I've recharged them but haven't had a chance to fly in a while due to summer class, btw engineering majors suck, it's cutting into my flying time, both RC and full scale
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
-pkh-

It will pay off later. My engineering job pays for my hobbies now!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The low voltage warning normally gives you more than enough time, a few minutes at least, to land the plane safely... If the batteries went flat dead that quickly, I would be concerned about the condition of the pack, as in it may be defective.

Personally, I do not fly without recharging if the battery voltage shows nominal voltage. That is a 4-cell NiMH, I stop at 4.8V and recharge. On a typical transmitter, that'd be 9.6V.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 AM
ulis

Got low voltage warning today on DX6i. After 10-15 sec of beeping the radio switched off. Using the stock batteries DX6i came with. Will charge more often and get new batteries perhaps . Anyway the radio could be more intelligent and notice in advance that the voltage drops too quickly and e.g. give a kind suggestion to replace the batteries
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM
divergoff

Well you had longer than me. I had enough time to roll the airplane left then nothing. about 5 seconds maybe
Old 07-19-2008, 06:11 PM
fishnstk

Look on E-bay their are several companys that sale lipo batteries for transmitters. Get one and you will not have to charge for two months. well worth the investment. You will have to reconnect the wires (two) just make sure you have the positive to positive (RED) and negitive to negitive (BLACK) . Go to Radio Shack and get a charge plug and connect to you lipo charger and you in business. Gary
Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
rolieharris

Is there a batt meter on the display somewhere?
Rolie
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM
pilotpete2

Lipo transmitter batteries are not an option for the DX6I as far as I can tell, remember its a 4 cell radio, not 8 cell.