Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

need help Crazy Sparrow

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 03:05 PM
WWIIBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help Crazy Sparrow

HI
I have purchased a Crazy sparrow used but with no instructions. What I am looking for is CG and control throw values. Any other comments would be appreciated. TIA. Brian
Old 03-16-2002, 07:05 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

I don't know the exact place to balance the plane, but usually 27-30 % is a good starting point. Control throws is up to you, based on your previous flying skills. Try getting them to move about 10-15 degrees each way on the Elevator and Ailerons, and maybe 30 degrees for the Rudder. This is an aerobatic plane so you will want more throw after you have gotten used to it. Those should be some rough estimates on starting points. Check out www.rcgroups.com, they will have the answer to your question in the parkflyer forum, just do a back search of old threads about the crazy sparrow, and you should find something.

--Paul
Old 11-05-2002, 01:37 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Crazy sparrow has tip stall problems! Needs washout in wings but cannot do it to foam. Iwould have a little up ailerion on both wings on the first flight to help with this. I have seen three guys struggle with this plane!
Old 11-08-2002, 05:27 AM
Mghines

The Crazy Sparrow should balance on the spar.

If the plane is powered adequately this plane doesn't have a tip stall problem. One seller of the kit included a 280 sized motor and gearbox, this is not a power package that will fly this plane. Mine is flying with a 280BB motor on 8 600AE's. With this power setup I have had no problems with the models handling. The plane can be taken off and immediately rolled inverted and climb out upside down.

The weak point of this design is the landing gear and wheels. I replaced the wheels with light foam wheels from Hobby Lobby and I solved the weak gear part by adding carbon fiber to the lamination of the wood and wire when I built the plane. It would be tough to retro a fix for this to a finished model.

If your plane has a stock 280, change it, you will not enjoy the model when underpowered. Swap for a 280BB or a Speed 300 6V.

I can check the control throws at work tomorrow and get back to you.

Hope this helps,

Mike Hines