Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ElectriFly Gearbox S280

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Rajib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ElectriFly Gearbox S280

Hello Guys,
I would like to know some information about ElectriFly Gearbox S280.
I have one S280 motor for which I need one Gearbox system and I would like to buy only BB type Gearbox.
But I have found total 5 types S280 BB ElectriFly Gearbox: Gearbox S280 3.5:1 Ratio BB

Gearbox S280 3.8:1 Ratio BB
Gearbox S280 4.1:1 Ratio BB
Gearbox S280 4.5:1 Ratio BB
Gearbox S280 5:1 Ratio BB

I know in case of 5:1 gear ratio if the motor rotate 5 turns then the propeller will rotate 1 turn. This reducing gear system type we use to get more torque. But I want to have more information about these all, for example for 3.5:1 ratio gearbox what will be the propeller ranges and for 5:1 ratio gearbox what should be propeller ranges. Please provide me some more information regarding gearbox and ratio system, specially about propellers. I am trying to designing a small plane with Greatplanes S280 brushed motor and gearbox, but before I buy the gearbox I would like to understand these all.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ElectriFly Gearbox S280

That's not a motor that you see being used a lot. If you can't get an answer from someone here, and if Great Planes can't help you, you can always try this online calculator:

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

In the motors, there is a Multiplex Permax 280 BB motor. No guarantees, but if nothing else turns up, it may get you pointed in the right direction.

You could also try sending a PM to a user here, Matt Kirsch, and see what he has to say. I remember talking to him years ago about this same motor.

For the others, here's a link to the motor:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHK6&P=M

Bit of online research suggests that it has an 8A max and is that the GP 280 BB is very similar to the Permax 280 BB.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Rajib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Thanks for your reply; yes I have already this motor http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHK6&P=M
But I am looking for a right gearbox for this motor. I have to select one gearbox with right gear ratio out of five available gearboxes for the motor which I already have. But I must understand which gearbox ratio will give how much pull with which propeller. I don't have any experience about electric model planes so I wish to have some idea from all of you regarding this motor only. Since I have the motor already so I can't change it, so I need information related this motor.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understood your question, which is why I suggested you go to that online electric calculator.

Select the multiplex permax 280 BB motor in the drop down box, then start experimenting with different props and batteries.

If you don't know how to use that site, let me know what prop you'd like to use (APC), what battery you'll use, and I'll put the numbers in for you.

These calculators aren't 100% accurate, but as said before, they are good for giving you an idea of what to choose.

FWIW, from a quick online search, it was suggested to run the motor at 8A max.