Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

DX6 or DX6i?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
RockEnRoller6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6 or DX6i?

Well I've made the jump to Spektrum and I love it! started with a DX5e and well the hanger grows fast! So I need something with model memory and with all the bells/ whistles. Again, I'm leaning on the DX6 or DX6i. Cost is a factor, and with these two TX it seems they are the most bang for the buck. So I know the DX6 was Spektrums first DSM radio system and the DX6i is the updated version. Okay here is were I'm having some problems deciding between the two, I mean besides the updated looks of the DX6i what does it really have feature wise that the DX6 doesnt have other than the price tag? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM
aramid

Default RE: DX6 or DX6i?

The DX6i is the one you want. The DX6 is only compatible with the AR6000 receiver, which is only intended for short-range parkflyers. The DX6i is easier to use, weighs less thanks to running on only 4 AA batteries (pretty sure the DX6 takes 8 cells), and can use any current Spektrum receiver, including the same AR6000 you're forced to use with the DX6. If you plan to fly anything bigger than a parkflyer, you need the DX6i just for its ability to use their full-range receivers.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM
aramid

Whoops, unintentional double-post.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, the DX6 is discontinued. It was the 1st 2.4GHz spread spectrum RC aircraft radio ever released. It is meant for short range park flyers only, and can only be used with the AR6000 receivers. The DX6 was a "DSM" radio, and all the newer radios are "DSM2" radios. The DX5e and DX6i are now the two most inexpensive Spektrum radios, and they are both full range "DSM2" radios. If you are looking to move up from the DX5e, the DX6i is the next step.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
RockEnRoller6

Indded, I see what your saying. Now I have a bunch of AR500 Rx, will the DX6i work with them?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Yes.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
wings 540

I have a DX6 and it is a very nice radio, but it does have its limits. such as the ones discribed above ^^ and it has been flawless ever sice i got it when it first came out. and i have flown models untill i could hardly see it and had no problems with range, so i would be comfortable flying a larger model with it. although if i had the money i would defidently go with a DX6i or DX7, but seeing as i am only 15 thats not going to happen any time soon .

if i were you i would get the DX6i, better technology and full range capability.

hope this helps

Wings
Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

My DX6 has performed flawlessly since I first got it. No problems with range since I only fly electric parkflyers and I don't fly them more than 1,000 to 1,200 feet away. Further than that, you can see the plane well.

Purchased a DX6i for the added bells and whistles. Well, I ended up with a bad one. It would intermittently loose contact with my planes. Not every time, just when I least expected it. I crashed two planes beyond repair. Horizon Hobby exchanged my DX6i with another new one and I had the same problems with the second one.

I purchased a DX7 and, what a delight! I've never had any problems with it and has added features. I use the DX6 as a slave unit plugged into the DX7 when teaching newcomers. The DX6i is packed in a box ready to be sent back to Horizon Hobby. When I get the replacement, I'm going to sell it on Ebay.

If I were you, I would save my money and buy a DX7. I bought mine on ebay for $179 + shipping (can't remember how much).

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
kirch

My DX6i works fine with the AR500 in my E-Flite Apprentice. I only ended up using the DX5e that came with my plane as a buddy box when I was first learning.

The DX6i has 10 model memory. So you can bind it to 10 different planes/helis and it will remember all the trim settings and custom mixes and expos for each of them.

I already have my Apprentice and Blade mCX coax heli programmed in and now I am hunting for the next plane to add to my list. I will probably get a Bind and Fly plane.