Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zagi Sticker was on fire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 10:49 PM
dadzilla-5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi Sticker was on fire!

Hi - I am running a stock speed 400 direct drive in a home built airplane that I designed around the old ace whizzard wing. When I use my nihm 1800 packs, (8 cell) the motor gets so hot it would burn your finger to touch. The "Zagi Trick RC" sticker actually smoldered on the last flight - I get about ten minutes. I have drilled air holes in the front and lifted the front hatch to allow for airflow through the motor area. Then I cut away a slot in the top hatch to let even more air through. The airplane needs to run at 80% throttle or better to be fun to fly...there is not room for a geared 400 unless I redesign - and this one is a blast except for the over heating. Any ideas on how to cool this one down?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

What propeller are you using? The motor should not get that hot on 8 cells unless you are using a much larger propeller than the white Zagi prop.

If you are using the Zagi prop, the motor is shot. Replace the motor with a new one. Any "6V Speed 400" motor is the same exact motor.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:57 PM
dadzilla-5

Default graupner 6X3 folder

I am using the graupner 6X3 folder - grey one, not the CAM version.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Derek_TX
My Feedback: (1)

Try a smaller prop to reduce the amp draw...
Old 07-05-2003, 05:36 PM
dadzilla-5

Default maybe go geared?

Maybe I should try using a gear box? I have a friend who would let me try his 1:8:1 gearbox - think that might help?
Old 07-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Derek_TX

It will help plenty... try it!
Old 07-05-2003, 05:52 PM
dadzilla-5

Default gearboxes are a bit of a mystery

That was a quick reply! Here is the thing - not being very mechanical, I don't know which gearbox to use. The 1:8:1 is here and free, but I'd like to know how you should actually choose the correct box for a model?
Old 07-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Derek_TX

You can do it the scientific/engineering way and use a tool like motocalc to predict and select.
Or you can do it empirically, that is to try out combinations till you hit a sweet spot. Keep your eye on both the motor and batter6y temp. Stop if the heat is rising too fast. If it is rising too fast, drop the prop pitch or diameter, or both.

Your 1.8 :1 is prolly good for the folding prop you have, or a 7x4. The penalty with too little prop is reduced thrust. Excessive RPM would also be a problem at the extremes. Usually higher RPM in a motor is desired as they are more efficient in those ranges.

So try out several props and notice how much thrust & heat are generated.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:35 PM
dadzilla-5

Default sounds good

sounds good - I have not yet tried motocalc but I don't think I can put it off much longer. In the mean time, I'm going to try the 1:8:1 as soon as I can. Thanks for your input!
Mark