Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

First LiPo charge taking long time

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

First LiPo charge taking long time

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:43 PM
cm5299

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LiPo charge taking long time

I am new to LiPos. I have two 3S 1250mAh LiPos I got for my NexStar Mini.

I hooked them up to balance charge on my Triton 2EQ. The first one went for 80 minutes then hit the safety timer shutoff. At the end it was reading 12.6v delivering 0.2A at the end. The charger automatically charges at 1C.

Is that the typical charge time I can expect? Or is this a function of it being a new pack? Can I consider the pack charged enough now to use? Should I charge it again? I'm concerned if I use it now it may not have enough juice and the ESC may not shutoff before allowing the voltage to drop too low.

Doing the math from the charger manual, I should set the safety timer at 66 minutes.

I put the second one on just to slow balance for a while before giving it the full juice.

[edit]
Wow. I joined 7 years ago and this is my first post? 7 years? I have been lurking for ages. Guess I never signed in.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: First LiPo charge taking long time

Hi, welcome (back) The battery is full at 12.6 volts so it is good to go. The 1C rate should be done in an hr or so depending upon the state of charge when starting. 60-80 minutes sounds normal. 66 minutes would've been just fine.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
cm5299

Default RE: First LiPo charge taking long time

ORIGINAL: guver

Hi, welcome (back) The battery is full at 12.6 volts so it is good to go. The 1C rate should be done in an hr or so depending upon the state of charge when starting. 60-80 minutes sounds normal. 66 minutes would've been just fine.
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info.

I flew glow for a while. Then life got in the way. Work does that. I'm going the smaller electric route now because it's easier for me to get out and fly.