Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to electric flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electric flight

Hi guys,
im new to electric flight but not to RC, I am looking to get something to fly around the park with like a mini mag or something simple like that. I have bigger nitros which i can fly pretty well but they are way too big and loud for anywhere near my house...
I have been looking on hobbyking.com for a decently priced BL motor and ESC but very few say: for models up to 1kg, for example. So my question is simple, how do you know which one to get? I know the ESc just needs to be able to handle the Amps the motor puts out, but... what motor? what size? what kv? HELP!!! lol

Thanks guys
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Witterings

Default RE: New to electric flight

Just as a very approximate guide a 3s battery when it's a bit run down / under strain will produce a bit over 10v's but I use 10 as a round figure and multiply it by the number of amps of the motor so say 15 amps x 10 is approx 150 watts - this is a very approximate though and it's one of those things you learn with time.
The minimag if you're used to flying other things you probably want about 150 / 180 watts to give you some reasonable power, you may want to look at their ParkMaster and Acromaster as well depending how experienced you are, how much space you have and if you want to be able to do 3D or if it's just for sport flying.
kv generally limits the prop size, the higher the kv the smaller prop so say a 1400 kv you'd probably only wany a 7 / 8" prop but an 800 kv you could go to 13 / 14"
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Witterings

Either of these would work quite well with the Minimag, get a 25 amp esc as you won't notice the extra weight but if you want to get a bigger plane later on can use it then

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...less_Outrunner

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._15A_Outrunner
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Nesal

We are talking about outrunner motors right? Will they all fit size wise? In say a mini mag or acromaster? If i were to get the 150-180 watt setup will that be able to move an acromaster decently? Are all these planes like the minimag, acromaster, parkmaster, foamies, gemini etc similar in weight and therefore need more or less the same powerplant?
When considering ESC´s... bigger is better? Im not going to do this but I could run an 80 amp esc with the minimag motor for example?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Witterings

Those motors are for the MiniMag, Acromaster is quite a bit heavier so wants something at least 250 and really 350 watts.
As with every plane you want to keep it as light as possible so whilst you could put a 80 amp esc in it certainly isn't ideal to give some comparisons I use a 25amp on my Parkmaster and a 35 / 45 amp on Acromaster and my Balsa planes around the 45 to 48" wingspan flying weight up to about 1.2 kg.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Nesal

Ok sounds good, thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
look4one

After flying several types of 3D and sport planes for about 30 years, I found that foamies are best for zero up to about 500 sq-in area. the EPP is mbest with the shaped airfoil wings. the BOOM, FLASH or YAK-54 from North-East Sailplanes are exceptionally good flyers. These three will fly either nice and slow or all-out wild and the CG can vary by +/- 30mm with good results. Use the 3S 1000mAH to 1500mAH batteries. 30A Turnigy ESC and a generic 28mm motor like the BP A2212 with 1000Kv.

There seems to be some benefit from the foam texture surfaces. The foam wings rarely tip-stall while the built-ups with tapered wings will generally always tip-stall. The low speed of the foamies is much slower. The EPP is nearly indestructible and easy to repair. I don't like the Depron or flat-slab airfoils as they are too brittle. the flat-plate wings fly with a lot of sloshing around like a surf board instead of a plane.

After the wing chord gets larger than about 10 inches the plane will fly much better and tip mstalls are less of a problem.