RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Question about running brushless w/ 72mhz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/10909853-question-about-running-brushless-w-72mhz.html)

RBTHNTR64 01-15-2012 09:06 AM

Question about running brushless w/ 72mhz

Guys,
Back in the day when I was flying brushed motors we added noise suppression to the leads. I have been out of the hobby for several years and getting back in.
I know all about the 2.4ghz stuff, but I am not ready to stop using my 72 gear. Is there any advise as to what precautions should be taken when using the brushless systems with the 72mhz radios? BTW, I do have two Spektrum radios in addition to my old stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Dave

blvdbuzzard 01-15-2012 11:43 AM

RE: Question about running brushless w/ 72mhz

I run brushless with my 72 gear without an issue. In one install, I had the Rx on top of the ESC and never had a glitch.

Buzz.

exeter_acres 01-15-2012 12:34 PM

Assuming you do a good clean install.. perform a range check and you should be fine...

some folks run Ferrite Rings on the wire from the ESC to the throttle channel to help isolate it, but it isn't required.

HANGTIME II 01-15-2012 10:53 PM

Im running the same older radio equipment (old school lol) with a new plane and no issues. Its like recycling, keeping the old stuff out of the junkyard :). Cheers

DustBen 01-21-2012 11:26 PM

YOU CAN'T do it!

You'll have to sell me all your old 72mhz stuff... real cheap!

Nah, just kidding. I run my old Airtronics stuff on 72mhz flying electrics and just love that 2.4 ghz came along and thinned out the herds on 72 mhz!

HANGTIME II 02-11-2012 07:38 PM

Im running the old school stuff as well (given the rediculouse cost of it back then) and I have found no issues with the new batteries, brushless motors or speed controllers. Just nice to see its more cash friendly for people to get into the sport. Cheers!

Jsbrittain 02-13-2012 02:27 PM

I also have old school radio systems(72mhz) I used to fly and getting back into it myself my question is ... Does one battery power the whole system or is there a seperate battery for the servos so if there is a failure in the motor battery I still have power to fly plane ??

HANGTIME II 02-13-2012 07:48 PM

HANGTIME II 02-13-2012 07:49 PM

The main battery runs the whole system. The speed controller handles the low battery cut off. You will maintain the radio as long as you watch for motor pulsing warning and land asap. I havent experienced that yet as I set a stopwatch at 7 min for my 2200 mh and its in the safe zone. Hope this helps.

Jsbrittain 02-13-2012 08:08 PM

Thanx Hangtime

flytreetimes 02-15-2012 09:57 AM

i always use the ferrite ring supplied with most Esc when running 72 mhz. I even leave them on with 2.4. can't hurt to help kill any noise issues, right.
Smaller Esc systems, 2,3,4S typically use the built in Bec to run the Rx with 3-4 small servos. I use a separate Bec (higher Amp rating) with its own 2S battery to Rx for larger systems on both 72 and 2.4 systems. Look for ESC with switching Bec in smaller sizes, typically 2-3 A will handle 2-4 micros without issue. If you use digital servos, you may want to consider a separate Bec or a small Rx pack, use 6 volts, not 4.8, especially on 2.4 setups. Fwiw flytreetimes

HANGTIME II 02-15-2012 07:35 PM

Thx Flytreetimes, good info will jot that down.