Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Flyzone Albatros

Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 PM
DaveSR71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyzone Albatros

Hi guys

When I saw the Flyzone Albatros just had to have one.
Beautiful little airplane that flies fantastic. Some trim problems, mainly built in warps causing rolling out of loops and requiring lots of trim.
About 6 flights to tweak to perfection. Slow flight at 1/8th or so throttle, quick flight at full throttle, loops great, excellent ground handling.
2 flights yesterday PM no problem, lands at a crawl with fully controllable.
Out of all the micros I have bought this is the most enjoyable. Not the fastest or most aerobatic just pure joy to fly, even in wind

Well that all went down the tubes today.
Hook up the battery this PM and the elevator will not work. Hummm.
Disconnect batt and look inside to see the battery wire is under elevator servo out put gear. No biggie should slide right back out.
WRONG, guess where the wipers for the POT are? That's right! Exactly where the wire is hung up so if you do get the wire out you kill the wiper arms!

All due to an internal wire location, This is the only fault I have found with this airplane.

David

Old 09-25-2010, 02:59 AM
DaveSR71

Default RE: Flyzone Albatros

With pictures this time.
Pictures are from after repair so no quite as nice.

There was no hope for the servo. After working with it and swapping out servo motor and checking and tweeking the wipers it was finaly determined that the board had a problem. Apparently something burned out from the load of the hung up servo while looking for cause.
Never had battery connected over 10 seconds during checks.

Ok Robbed the Parkzone Cessna from one of my scratch builds and proceeded to install it in the Albatross.
This thing flies so nice that I am determined to fly it tomorrow AM.

Both push rods had to be located in same exit hole and for the less travel of the PZ servo the PZ control horn had to be installed also.

Once it was all back together and bench tested I relized how noisy and jerky the PZ stuff is.

The Flyzone radio servos are silent and smooth.

CONGRATULATIONS FLYZONE THIS MAY BE THE BEST UNDER $100 MICRO AIRPLANE ON THE MARKET!
Out of 8 Micro ARF this has been the best and most fun to fly. Easy to fly as well.
PLEASE cure the wire problem quick!

Enough running of the mouth, Picture time.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50780.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1506348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80054.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1506349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72126.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1506350   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55060.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1506351  
Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 AM
DaveSR71

Notice the nice details
Engine, pilot, machine guns.
Looks like I need to add some instrument panel details.

Time to hit the sack and beat the wind in the morning.
My only worry is the PZ ESC may not last with the bigger motor. Keeping fingers crossed.

Is that a pretty airplane or what?!
Flies so smooth to boot.

David

Name:	Bz77819.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1506352   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43240.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1506353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52814.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1506354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81045.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1506355  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
DaveSR71

After all morning flying 5 micros I have come to the come to the conclusion that I like this airplane.
Did not weigh any components that were swapped but it flies like it lost some weight. This could also be due to increased elevator travel with the sort horns. It is slightly more nose heavy now.
When the wind picked up to much to fly the PZs the Albatross just happily bounces, corrects and just keeps on flying.
The field I fly in is small and surrounded by trees so the turbulence and shear gets pretty bad and this thing does not even care.

Not as maneuverable or fast as the P-51 PZ

Not as maneuverable as the Sukhio PZ although probably faster at full on boogie.

Not as slow as the PZ Cessna.

The Albatros having Taxiing ability to match my .60+ size tail daggers is big plus for me.
I can taxi from the bench through all the cars and fly it out the shop door (8ftx8ft) fly around the light pole under and over the wires and then land through the doors and taxi back to the work bench.COOL!

None are close to my own designs in performance so not a fair comparison against the 5th airplane.

Thanks Flyzone for the most enjoyable of all Micro RTFs to date!

Now to go gripe at the LHS for charging me just under $100 with club and AMA discount.

This and the recent lack of C/L supplies is probably the end of my supporting the LHS.
One more chance is all they get and then as with current situation in THE USA they all get the boot!

David
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Nice review man, thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
DaveSR71

Thanks Wheelnut!

trying to share how good it flies with everyone and getting the radio swapped out and flying had me in a rush.

The more I fly it the more I like it.

Very smooth and gental with enough power to keep from being board.

Chase the dog and cats, pull up, throw it around and another pass.

Almost as good as the PZ Cessna for small area and the wind does not effect it near as much as other micros.

If you don't have on you just don't know you need one.!

Just keep the battery wire away from the front servo output wheel!

I like this airplane.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
slim_pkns

I recently bought one as well. I found it to be a great deal since I had a coupon from Tower Hobbies.

I have a passion for WW1 planes and especially the biplanes and sesquiplanes, so I had to have it.

One thing I'd like everyone to know though is that after only three flights indoors with no accidents or hard landings, the motor gave out. Let me be specific... it throttles up and you can hear the motor spin, but the prop does not move (probably gears). It was the first day I flew it at an indoor fly-in in a church gymnasium. Fortunately, we only have the gym for about three hours, so it was the end of the event.

Anyway, I'm going to send it back and hope they replace it with a new one. I love the scale looks and I want it to stay as pretty as it looked when I opened the box rather than cut up all the nice decals and such.

I'll let you all know how Hobbico support treats me...

P.S. Otherwise, I LOVE this model!

Cheers,

slim_pkns
Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: DaveSR71

Well that all went down the tubes today.
Hook up the battery this PM and the elevator will not work. Hummm.
Disconnect batt and look inside to see the battery wire is under elevator servo out put gear. No biggie should slide right back out.
WRONG, guess where the wipers for the POT are? That's right! Exactly where the wire is hung up so if you do get the wire out you kill the wiper arms!

All due to an internal wire location, This is the only fault I have found with this airplane.

David

Numerous members in my local club have purchased this plane this month. While they look and fly great All suffered elevator failure in 3-5 flights. Clearly a redesign is called for before anyone considers getting one of these in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I just got going with one of these. 8 flights so far.

What is the charge rate thru the stock tx?
Will it charge during use? (manual says not to do it)
Is there an alternative way to hold batery in? (no velcro)
Which holes are you (beginners) using? I am a beginner
Does anyone get a batery down to much below 3.5 volts (resting) without a terrible power reduction first?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Digital Don

I love my Albatros!

However, using the stock radio gear, I found it a handful to fly in our basketball court-sized indoor flying area. I was ready to sell it, but decided instead to replace the stock receiver with one from a HobbyZone Champ.

It was an easy conversion and most importantly, I was able to mix the throttle and elevator channels on my DX6i. On my setup, when the throttle is lowered, the elevator goes up. This turned the Albatros into a great little flyer! Plus, the fact that it's a biplane gives it a 'certain something' that the Champs, Cubs, Vapors, and Embers just don't have.

Since it looks 'fragile', I figured the Albatros wouldn't last too long so I bought a complete set of spare parts. In reality, the Albatros is more durable than it looks. So, rather than 'waste' all those spares, I built another one based on the plane flown by WWI Ace Godwin Brumowski as seen below. It came out heavier than the original so it files differently, but not bad.

Plus everyone likes the skulls!

Don

Name:	mk27213.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1628565  
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Does anyone fly more than 3 back to back packs on this?

I suspect that is why I am having motor/gear troubles.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 AM
rotorbroke

I bought 2 to make 1 from tower. First one had the prop and spinner freespinning on the shaft, figure i can fix once with a drop of CA. No sweat, pulled out the second to bind TX since it already had batts and I had a 130mAh ready to go. Opened the second box and found the prop spinner and shaft seperated from the airplane and just laying in the box. Careful search turned up the internal nut that secures the shaft inside. No flying yet. Looks cool. Horrible QC. Maybe I needed 3 to make 1?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 PM
china clipper

I am currently re-motoring my Albatros with the BSD motor/gearbox combo.

It currently has the longer shaft, but it also has the "prop saver" tip on it.
Can I get rid of the prop saver tip? How do I get it off? Is it just pressed on or do I have to grind it off or what?

I want to be able to use the stock prop/spinner combo if possible.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Chucksolo69

I just got one of these too and am looking forward to flying it. I sure hope the bugs you described have been ironed out. I am dying to campare it with my HZ Champ.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Chucksolo69

Ok, I can fly my Champ and Firebird Stratosall day long, land safely and then fly some more. This newFZ Albatross is something else again. I got her trimmed as far as I can see, but everytime I try I try to climb out of a turn, she doesn't respond and I end up crashing. I have to replace the ultra fragile landing gear as the axle broke twice and one of the struts broke free. I can't believe how fragile that thing is. I will stick to my Champand Firebird Stratos for now.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Turbobearcat

I love mine- hard landings a few times but after about 2 hours in the air now - I have learned how to land it on the pavement without crashing it..

knocked the landing gear loose a few times until I learned to use silcone RTV and yes it works!!!! nothing else has came loose since then.

Love the plane!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Turbobearcat

I had my first Albatros rebuilt and decided to go with something different

so here is what I came up with after watching the movie "The Red Baron"

It's going to be flying at the Fly-In at the Nutter Center in Dayton Ohio Nov 26th..

Mark
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Virg.

I just discovered this thread and find it interesting since I've had experience with THREE of them!

My comment has to do with previous posts on landing gear problems. Cited (in posts #15 and #16) were mention of problems with the gear's struts as well as the axle breaking. The first problem that I had with the LG was to have one wheel and its plastic retainer come loose after a rough landing in tall grass. I modded the gear assembly in the way it appears that DaveSR71 seems to have done on his Albatros. Check the thumbnail in Post #1 which shows the inside of one wheel. There appears to be a clear plastic wheel retainer inside the strut.

I installed such retainers on mine. This will ensure that any shock applied to either wheel will be absorbed by BOTH the left and right struts! The steps are easy: REMOVE the outside retainer and its wheel; SLIDE the remaining assembly out through the opposite side. REPLACE the CF axle (prone to snapping in two) with piano wire of the appropriate diameter. It will never snap! Next, INSTALL one wheel and its retainer clip; SLIDE it in through one of the struts; before passing it through the opposite strut, PLACE two small "washers" on the axle which will serve to hold the wheel in position on their struts. These can be made from small plastic tubing about 1/16" long. Next, pass the axle through the opposite strut, BUT do not install the second wheel yet! The plastic "washers" need to be CA'd onto the axle in the proper locations. SCRIBE two circles on the axle PRECISELY at the inside ends of the "washers", gripping lightly with wire-snipping pliers. This will serve as the place to apply a TINY drop of medium CA to hold them in the proper locations. Gluing them ONLY on the interior ends will ensure that no CA can reach the struts and upset the free rotation of all components. ALLOW enough "slop" between the retainers and the strut to allow free play to the wheels. Once this is all done, the second wheel and its plastic retainer can be installed.

When I first tried this, I learned that I could NOT scribe the axle to make the glue points since the axle was made of CF, which is very brittle. The piano wire replacement did the trick!

One other comment: The glue I used to reattach any loose strut was medium CA. This worked very well, and using only a tiny drop, the glue was totally invisible on the surrounding areas.

Enjoy this micro,

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Dave and All. I could not resist and bought a FLY Zone Albatros from Tower. I ran the electric motor(prop WAS spinning) a number of times and was impressed with the servo response Etc Etc Finally flew it and did not have the Tactic TX motor control adjusted to STOP before landing to avoid damage[:-]Well the prop (did not ) break but now the motor revs and propeller no turn... I was shipped a couple gear sets ..So my question is how to do the surgery[>:]

I have been in the hobby a while and this micro R/C electric thing has my interest.

I would appreciate any help on doing the necessary repair(s) on my Albatros
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Virg.

RAMCFARLAND wrote:

No problem, Rich. Take a look at the Albatros picture gallery at this web site:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...one&starter=no

You'll see how to take the fuselage apart safely, and check out the innards. My guess is that the motor has been driven back in its mount so that the gears no longer mesh. If this is the case, merely push the motor forward (while steadying the mount), until the gears line up correctly. put a SMALL drop of CA where the motor meets the rear of the mount to retain the motor. While you're at it, lube the gears and the gear shaft.

You'll feel accomplished when you succeed at this fix.

Enjoy this micro!

Virg.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
ramcfarland

Thank You Virg
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
ramcfarland

Just having a blast with this thing which I fly out front where I live. I'm impressed[8D]
BTW on both my flyzone Albatros micro FLYERS ,the (pinion has come off the motor shaft and second time I heard it fall loose and drop in the lawn and guess what ??"I stayed in that spot till I got me fingers on the pinion gear

Gotta fly