Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Total newbie - looking for pointers

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Total newbie - looking for pointers

Old 04-05-2021, 04:33 PM
jadrake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Total newbie - looking for pointers

Dear All,

I am very interested in getting involved in Micro RC flight. I am a high school teacher, teaching electronics and robotics, and I think this aspect of RC flight is perfect for me and my students. It'll allow us to construct on a manageable scale, with (hopefully) manageable cost, and we can fly indoors at school. I'm a committed researcher, so I'm happy to read manuals, product reviews, how-tos and build guides for hours until I understand something and have a general idea of how to progress.

My problem is that with Micro-RC, I really have no idea where to start, so I thought I'd throw myself upon your mercy and collective wisdom. Here's a few questions I've got rattling around my head that I thought would be a good place to start. Obviously, if you can think of something I've missed, please let me know!

1) I'm assuming the place to start is with the TX/RX combo. What are the go-to recommendations out there, specifically for beginners, with a suggestion for higher-spec items if it's financially worth-while? Is there one brand that's cornered the market, one TX/RX system or protocol that's worth focussing on?
2) Are there recommended plane kits (either with or without electronics) that work well indoors, are easily repairable and suitable for beginners?
3) Battery/charger recommendations?
4) Suppliers? Is there a particular supplier that deals with Micro-RC and is worth purchasing from? I'm a big fan of buying local (I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada) but know that's not always a viable option. I don't mind waiting on the mail.
5) Websites/YouTube channels to follow? Does anyone have any recommendations of builders/flyers to follow?
6) Been there - done that! Any fellow educators out there who have already pursued this idea and have any tips/tricks/recommendations for me?

I think that's enough for now! Please don't feel the need to answer everything - if you've got a single comment on a single point, I'd much appreciate your advice. I currently have NO equipment, so I'm not committed yet to any one manufacturer or system.

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited about pursuing this new passion, but am keen to "get it right" as much as possible, and not make too many mistakes.

Best wishes,

Adam
Old 04-06-2021, 03:51 AM
fishycomics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Main Company is Horizon Hobby, divisions are Hobbyzone, park zone, Blades, Spectrum, and a few others. You may want to contact the company personally for any programs offered, etc.

A site to visit and more active and with due respect is RCGgroups

1) I'm assuming the place to start is with the TX/RX combo. What are the go-to recommendations out there, specifically for beginners, with a suggestion for higher-spec items if it's financially worth-while? Is there one brand that's cornered the market, one TX/RX system or protocol that's worth focussing on?
Transmitter radio controller for example https://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx you can research the radios, For receivers, basically they come with the plane already installed.

2) Are there recommended plane kits (either with or without electronics) that work well indoors, are easily repairable and suitable for beginners?
Hobbyzone champ, Vaper,
Stronger and more a build the slowstick, pico or microstick (remember brushless and the propeller can be not as forgiving as the first two I mentioned for kids these are not toys. and they can injure a kid if handled wrong.

3) Battery/charger recommendations?

4) Suppliers? Is there a particular supplier that deals with Micro-RC and is worth purchasing from? I'm a big fan of buying local (I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada) but know that's not always a viable option. I don't mind waiting on the mail.

5) Websites/YouTube channels to follow? Does anyone have any recommendations of builders/flyers to follow?

6) Been there - done that! Any fellow educators out there who have already pursued this idea and have any tips/tricks/recommendations for me?

Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 AM
fishycomics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if ou get with Flitetest, you will get everything you need and help there