Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Complicated

Old 03-31-2004, 06:26 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complicated

Getting into Micro flight is, to me, a bit overwhelming. I haven't yet found a post that details how this stuff is setup, so I'm going to ask some questions (forgive me if they've been asked before).

You start with a receiver, lets say it's the RFFS-100. I see the E and R, I am to assume those are the actuator drivers? Assuming so, I would take my actuator connectors and just plug them into those holes (and if I need to reverse it on my Tx)? Ok, now for that row on the right. Is that for three pronged connectors? If so, I guess one goes to the battery and the other to the motor. This Rx will send current to the actuators without me having to add another circuit, right?

Lemme ask about the actuators. How does the magnet not touch/scrape the coil? I mean, does it float inside the wire coil or something? What keeps the magnet inside the coil (as in, why doesn't it fly out the side)? What type of wire is used, so I might could make my own? Does the wire have to be coated/insulated, or can it be bare wire?

About the battery - do I have to connect the Li-Poly cells to a board, then connect the board to wires? I'm just wondering how you go from those flat metal cell "tongues" to wires that plug into your Rx.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Complicated

Wufnu,

About the RFFS -

The R and E are the rudder (or aileron) connectors, and the E is for the elevator. The coils just plug in to the connectors, if you want to reverse the throw, reverse the two plugs. The plugs on the end of the baoard are the power (outside two plugs - positive is marked with red), and the inner pair are from the built-in ESC and go to the motor. The last plug (in the middle of the board) is for the antenna.

Actuators -

The magnets 'float' in the coils through one of two means:
1) you use a 'remote' actuator assembly that has a mount that slips inside the coil with the magnets mounted to a pivoting axle. There are output arms attached to that so you have a place to hook up a push rod, or
2) the coil is built into the ttail surface with the coil centered over the hinge line. The movable part of the surface has a wire the magnets attach to, and this is bent so that the magnets are centered in the coil. This way, the movement of the tail allows the magnet to stay centered.

Actuators are wound with very fine enamled wire (#40 to #44), and yes, you can wind your own. I would suggest that you buy some to see how they operate and then try some of your own.

LiPolys -

The leads to the battery can be soldered to wires that you hook into the RX. You can also built a battery pack with contacts inside so the battery can be slid into place and make contact.

Here are three photos of actuators. The first show a couple of RFFS installations showing the radio hook up, a slide-in battery pack, and remote actuator set up. The third shows a surface mounted actuator.

The E-zone column 'Inside Story' (http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?t=sub_pages&cat=199) has lots of info on actuators and small radio related topics, and RCGroups' indoor and micro forum (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=85) has several sticky threads at the top with tons of references and sources for this specialized area of modeling.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58496.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	117902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40264.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	117903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19751.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	117904  
Old 04-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Complicated

Thanks a bunch Mike, that answered alot of questions that I had going through my head.