Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Project hovercraft..Need some help.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Project hovercraft..Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Hellion179

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project hovercraft..Need some help.

Hi all, I have some RC experience...but it is almost all Nitro. I have plans for both a Nitro and an electric version of this but I don't know how to do the electronics for an electric version. I want to make a twin engined hovercraft. Now I have two engines...a 380 for a lift and a 480(or maybe 540) fan for thrust. What esc could I use to drive this? I'd almost need two of them right? Or do they make speed controls that can be controlled on seperate speeds? Or could I use some sort of circuit that could be either off/on? I'd need to be able to control it from my transmitter. How would I wire this in? Any recommendations on ESC's? I think it is just going to be too complicated to make an electric version so I think I might just stick with Nitro...depends on what you guys have to say. Either way, thanks in advance.....
Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Project hovercraft..Need some help.

My uncle has built both electric and nitro hovercrafts. For electric, you would need to esc's. What kind of transmitter do you intend to use? My uncle uses a regular three channel radio. It is the type with a single stick and a slider switch. Hook the slider switch (ch 3) up to the esc that controls the lift motor and the second esc to ch 2. Then attach a servo to ch 1 and use that to control the rudder. He's also built a nitro hovercraft. For that, you'd only want to use one engine and you'd have to divert some of the thrust under the craft for lift. Here's some pics of the electric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30271.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	214623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91565.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	214624  
Old 02-01-2005, 12:29 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Mine doesn't look quite as nice, but here it is anyway. I only use one motor and diverted air under the craft for lift.

Here is more specs: [link=http://comp.uark.edu/~jasonc/hovercraft.htm]Hovercraft[/link]

Old 02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

PS build time from scratch to completion was about 4-5 hours.

Jason