Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Interactive Toy Blade Runner Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Interactive Toy Blade Runner Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM
PigBoat_2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interactive Toy Blade Runner Helicopter

Hey can I get a couple URL's for the BR2 or the original BR?

PB_2
Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

i know there's a load of places that sell the first and second generations of the bladerunner, but i could only find this one: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/rc-toys-hobbies/Items/360005%20-%20(S)?

the some of the first gen models had a bad cell, so the Kokam 345mah is an ideal replacement, just in case. try a search on google, or ebay even (probably lots of first gen versions there), i know they're out there.

the very first generation models were all black with white rings around the rotors, and wires outside the tail boom. then they changed to black rings around the rotors and wires inside the tail boom. then they changed the color of the canopy (blue and purple, maybe one other color), then they started making orange colored canopys with LEDs, then foam canopys with LEDs, and now the new KA-50 Blackhawk. they've been doing "running upgrades" the whole time, so its hard to tell which is which unless you've been following it from the start. but, fortunately, they should all fly just fine (other than those first models with bad lipos). if you're going to pick one up online, you might want to get a 2nd set of motors too, they burn out eventually and no other motors work as replacements. the links i posted up in post #69 will bring you to the ITC BladeRunner forum, every question you could ever have has been asked and answered there

nick
Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 PM
PigBoat_2

so nick, the blade runner looks pretty good but there are some others out there too...take a look at egrandbuy.com/rchelicopters.html and tell me if any of those are any good campared to the BR

PB_2

btw...I saw the KA-50 you talked about...only $135!!!(sarcasm from the 15 year old) http://www.egrandbuy.com/egrandbuy/imdr5v3kamir.html

and another from raidentech: http://www.raidentech.com/mikasustxcar.html
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 PM
micro_builder

hi PB,

i'm not familiar with those two helis in the links you posted. but, they look to be more of a hobby quality heli with servo control, ect (like the multi rotor Blade CP..or CX, or whichever it is). the bladerunner and all other helis are quite differant. those two helis in your links are probably pretty stable, but are also larger, but also have more control. the bladerunner is just a toy really, it is 3 channel, the RX mixes two channels like the AA does for thrust differntial. one channel is for the left motor, one channel is for the right motor, those two combined let you turn the heli left and right. the 3rd channel is for the little tail motor to give forward and reverse.

the main differance between the bladerunner and all other helis is that the bladerunner was designed specifically for hovering, which is why a lot of people have a hard time making it fly forward or backwards. the design of the rotors on the BR makes it so you can take your hands off the TX and let the heli just float around (try that with a 300 dollar hobby heli!). of course, with the BRs "inerhent stability" it makes flying forward difficult. there's lots of mods you can do to get it to fly a bit faster, but it'll never really be able to go faster than a slow walking speed (not a bad thing when trying to fly in a living room).

its a great heli, good for tinkering with, ect, but it does have its limits. if you're looking for a cheaper heli, check this out: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

i've got one of those too, its a great heli for only 60 bucks, they're only sold at RadioShack. its 2 channel (up, down, left and right - forward flight can be changed by moving the CG). its really stable also, worth the 60 bucks in my opinion for the 2 channel digital proportional RX, 160mah lipo, and charger. not to mention you can easily fly a heli in your house!

nick
Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 PM
PigBoat_2

looks pretty good but for the $$ I would go with the BR. It's only an additional $10 and has the forward/backward capability. One thing I was wondering, though, how does a little heli like this turn with no real tail rotor?

PB_2
Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 PM
micro_builder

the heli can turn left and right because each rotor has its own motor. so, when you're not turning, both motors that control both rotors are running at the same RPM. but, if you want it to turn left or right, one of the motors slows down or speeds up, causing the rotors to slow down or speed up, and making the heli turn

nick
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
micropotato

hi there,
it's normal, I bought 2 bladerunners (not the II model),
they lifted up for a minute then all the parts inside just came apart!!!!
I returned them all in pieces!!!!!! [:@]
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
micropotato

hi there,
you're such a lucky guy, I bought 2 of them, but both
broke (parts inside the body) in pieces internally without a crash themsleves in a minutue!![:@]
Old 02-26-2006, 04:02 PM
DaIVIien

Hi, i got a Bladerunner 2 as a gift. Iv been reading much about them. I have allready modded it a bit by taking off the body. I think it helps a lot on flying (if I can get it to get up). I have noticed that the rod the blades are attached to raise up a lot. So much that one gear comes off the gear on blade, so making only one gear turning the blades. Is this supposed to do this? I think its effecting the flying because I cant get it to stay in the air. It will lift a little than drop. Iv only gotten it up once. Im still trying to get it stop turning by its self with the trim.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:54 PM
micropotato

hi there,
that's what I meant, it's a CRAP!
since it's a co-axial heli, the upper blades control the lift
and the lower blades do the aleron action and torque elimination
like the reqular tail blade on fully functioned heli, if the gear
attached to the either upper blades or lower ones coming off,
then the heli totally sucks and only spin itself.[:@]

If it's not fixiable, hopefully you can return it.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:11 PM
DaIVIien

Since the problem got worse and the heli would totally spin out of control i firgured out if you put a paper click (or any thing to keep the rod the blades are attached to from rising) it totally fixes the problem. Still flys good and now i dont have to worry about the rod rising and making the heli spin out of control, and now it will stay in the air and both motors will only spin their gears.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
zeroseven

In case you guys dont know Dillards sells (or did at least) the second gen bladerunners. I picked one up a month ago for $50 on sale they are regularly $80 there. They had about 20 boxes when i got mine.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
rball1

ORIGINAL: DaIVIien

Hi, i got a Bladerunner 2 as a gift. Iv been reading much about them. I have allready modded it a bit by taking off the body. I think it helps a lot on flying (if I can get it to get up). I have noticed that the rod the blades are attached to raise up a lot. So much that one gear comes off the gear on blade, so making only one gear turning the blades. Is this supposed to do this? I think its effecting the flying because I cant get it to stay in the air. It will lift a little than drop. Iv only gotten it up once. Im still trying to get it stop turning by its self with the trim.
Well, here I go again. I tried to answer this once before, but it didn't seem to take. The good news is, now that you have the body off, all you have to do is wrap a piece of fine, stiff wire around the shaft just above the plastic stop that keeps the shaft from being pulled up through the frame of the helicopter. It's a thick plastic disc just below the bottom of the frame that holds the battery, etc. Wind the wire around the shaft at that point and it will stop the shaft from coming up high enough to let the bottom blade start turning in the wrong direction when it hits the motor gear for the top blade. It worked for me! Good luck!!
Roger
Old 04-03-2006, 07:16 PM
gregthe1

Hey guys,

I forgot which direction is on and off on the bladerunner power switch. Can anyone enlighten me?

(I don't want to risk charging it in the wrong position)

Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 AM
rmanaoat

My fellow Bladerunner,
Pushing the switch towards the charging connector is the "OFF" position.
Happy flying!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:50 AM
rmanaoat

My Fellow Pilots,
My BR flight time lasts barely a minute.Any tips on this?Fun and frustrating at the same time.
Please help aaarrrrgghh......
Thank you
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 AM
micro_builder

rmanaoat,

it sounds like your battery or motors are going out. if its either of them, its easy to fix, but there's something easier you can try.

the charger that comes with the BR isnt the greatest, it'll sometimes "see" a full charge before the battery is actually fully charged. so, what you have to do is plug the charger in, let it charge till the LED stops blinking. then, unplug it and let it sit for a few minutes. then, plug it back in and let it charge till the LED stops blinking again. do this till the LED only blinks once or twice and then you'll know you have a full charge. sometimes this process can take a while, but it helps a lot. of course, if you have the body removed and a multimeter handy, charge it up and test the voltage from the cell. it should be up around 4 volts or higher.

if doing that still doesnt give you longer flight times, a 10 dollar kokam 345mah lipo can substitute as a perfect replacement. some have used a 480mah, but that seems overkill to me (longer flight times though). if a new lipo still doesnt give you longer run times, then its your motors that have burnt out. you can get replacements here: http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobb...Spare%20Parts/

nick
Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Rojoyinc

A have a 49.00 RS heli "blade runner series" RESCUE with the little green man. I havent' had good lucky with it. As it starts to swing like a pendulum and the rotors start to bend until they hit each other and fall out of the sky. I've tried a little weight here and there nothing works.

I just watched a video previously in this link and it's awesome - that one also has a tail rotor to make the tail go up and down to allow forward and backward flight. WOW - looks great. I have flown mine quite a bit - but the pendulum effect drives me crazy. Longest I've flown it is probably 30-40 seconds and thats when the battery is low - it tends to be more stable. Any sort of rotation or slightly jerky move starts it rocking back and forth and nothing you can do in flight will stop it. We have to catch it in air and steady it and release it as smoothly as possible to keep it level and stable? Is this normal?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
monstermaker13

thats the one that i got

is it good enough to return?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Rojoyinc

I found another link with one that has a rotor on the back! - I just boxed this one up to go back to Radio Shack - yes is like new, and looks unpackaged as I kept it really nice while taking it out. Looks like that's the one to get and to get it online from rctoys.com online.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
monstermaker13

iv had one of the 3 channle ones you are describing

it works good but let the motors cool after every run
Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Rojoyinc

I've only found these to be junk... here's my story - VERY DISAPOINTED.

My son bought me Rescue heli at radio shac for early christmas present. We tried it out and the rotors would wobble and smack together and would fall out of the sky. We returned it to RS and he asked why - and we told him and he nodded - YES - as if hearing that a LOT - or experiencing it himself. (WORTHLESS TOY)

So - I order a 50.00 Blade Runner from Canada direct ADD over 15.00 shipping! it arrives today - the tail rotor is DOA. It hovers well - but there is ZERO control - it goes where it wants with no tail power. It is more stable than the Rescue version... but there isn't any LED working on it. (is there one?) it appears to have a little bubble on the bottom and the instructions refer to a LED that flashes - during flight and to denote battey charge? I get nothing during charge and I don't even think it's charging. I plug it in (it says it shoudl go in easy - it doesn't - it goes in HARD) it doesn't seem to charge, it doesn't have any LED other than a RED one on the transmitter/charger that just stays red when off in charger mode.

So TWO FOR TWO - "JUNK".

I'm a experienced RC flyer - planes, sailplanes and heli's. (picolo indoor heli flying) I can't recommend anyone get ANYTHING from this company. It's frustrating since I see many people like them on here. (which is why I ordered the bladerunner).

Now support ? I don't see any email support on their site... it shows a long distance phone number to Canada from the US. (no thanks - I already have 65.00+ in this thing and shipping - then they'll give me a RMA number and I'm to pay 15.00+ shipping back to them? For what - to get another piece of junk?

Better business beauru - no help - their in Canada - I say - "beware and your taking your chances like gambling with what you'll get". I guess we're just unlucky.