Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Tony A.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Don,

No plans or drawings. I took the old school approach. I downloaded 3-views of each aircraft, then sized them to roughly the AeroAce length and width. I traced the drawings to poster board with carbon paper to make templates. I then traced around the template to the 1/16" balsa and then the rest was just experimenting with motor placement, CG and up elevator angle. About three hours from start to finish. I'm currently building a Martin B-57A & Douglas F5D-1 Lancer. I've tried a flying a P-38 but reversing the prop to make them pull versus push created a weird torque roll.

All the best,
Tony
Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
ahaacobbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is that you can scale up a lot bigger than the general dimensions of the aero ace. My favorite AA powered planes are a Pilatus 4 with 40 inch wingspan and a turbo air surfer with around 20 inch wingspan. Both fly very well - in most ways better. The Pilatus is a little wide on the turns, but the air surfer turns even tighter than the AA. The point is, there is a lot that can be done with the AA guts beyond the scale of the AA. The AA airframe is incredibly inefficient, so a well designed airframe can be a lot bigger, faster (or slower), and floatier with the same electronics.

Cobbler
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Whatever happened to that outfit that made balsa & covering aa planes? I can't find the link.

Tim
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gentlemen, this may be my last post on the electric airplane thread. I'll think about it and I'll check in. For reasons unclear to me I have been marked as a troublemaker. So I wish you all well. I have entirely enjoyed our time together. You will note that RCU has limited your ability to contact me, and that draconian measure is why I am leaving EAU.

Have fun.

Tim
Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Garrett1234567

Tim, Its been nice and i have to thank you for all the support over the years. I hate that rcu has done this to you. You have always been friendly and helpfull to all of us.

To the rest of you we need to get a petition going to get RCU to let him back on and if they dont i say we boycot them. There is no reason he should be called a trouble maker. I owe Tim many thanks. Its because of him and the little Aero Ace that i got into this hobby/obsession.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Garrett, I'm not banned, I just have to very careful of what I say. And part of that is that I can't say what's going on. But I fear that I might be radioactive so until I figure out exactly what's what my posts will only be answering any questions I can. I don't know who you would bring your complaints to, as this seems to emanate from on high. It has nothing to do with micros or heli's so I will check in now and then. What I do not want to do is cause any of you problems.

Thank you for the kind words, I truly appreciate them.

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Garrett1234567

Tim, best of luck and if there is anything any of us can do, dont hesitate to ask. If all else fails we've got rcgroups to goto. :P
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Djstinger

Bring Back FERNDALE!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
trroadster

Has anybody ever tried the AA receiver and motors on a two cell battery? ie 7.4 volts

Failing that anything above 3.7 V? I have built a profile Sukhoi/F15 type profile for AA gear. It flies but I'd like a little more speed. But I don't want to fry the Rx or motors.

TIA
Don
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
ahaacobbler

That's a definite problem. The circuitry won't even handle more current than the stock motors draw.

Cobbler
Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gentlemen, this may be my last post on the electric airplane thread. I'll think about it and I'll check in. For reasons unclear to me I have been marked as a troublemaker. So I wish you all well. I have entirely enjoyed our time together. You will note that RCU has limited your ability to contact me, and that draconian measure is why I am leaving EAU.

Have fun.

Tim

Marked as a troublemaker? What a load of crud. Over the past few years I can honestly
say I've never seen you be anything but helpful around here. I dont know whos doing what or
for what reasons, but they need a reality check if nothing else. Please feel free to contact me,
I'll certainly help straighten things out if I can - this particular forum doesnt have a lot of
frequent members, it would be a huge bummer to lose one of the most active ones.

RCG indeed

Nick
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Interestingly enough, I feel a bit safer here. TR has the whole story, but nothing happened on this forum. So I think I'll just keep a low profile over here and give up on the forum that I used to frequent. But I worry about going very off topic, whichis a bit of a challenge here at micro center. So I guess I just made up my mind, I'll hang here and see what happens. But the other forum is done for a while at least. Here and the Heli threads[X(].

TR, I think I have some of the built up mosfets with resistor from Tony, but I don't know what the load rating is on them. TR, did you do a water cure on the motors? You will get a more power out of what you have.

So on the state of my micro fleet, I pretty much fly my Vapor and MCX for micros now, true micros. The vapor is what I was looking for after the Ace to get used to 3+ channel flying. So a boatfull of cash later it's on the market, and it is an absolute blast. And a bit of an engineering marvel. I don't have any video of it yet. And the MCX is simply incredible. I have only 2 mods on mine, I have a shorter piece of CF for the Tailboom, and half the spokes in the flywheels have been removed. Lot's of vid of that. the old stuff is on the MCX mods thread, but here is the most recent. http://www.badiusownersclub.com/video/mcx%20vid%205.wmv

Happy flying,

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 PM
trroadster

By water cure do you mean run them immersed? I thought that only worked to set carbon brushes. These don't have carbon brushes do they?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Double post, but I just had an idea for a different ace mod. And this one is up for grabs. How about an Ace with no tail boom or stabs. Glue or pin a bit of foam plate to the ends of the wing. Those would act as your vertical stab, You would have to get the cg first. Then remove the tail boom. The antennat would have to climb the fuse, and add the weight back in foam to the tail. Or figure a new cg. Should make for a seriously stuntable plane with just minor work. And be something completely different. You guys inspired this idea. Thanks.

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TR, yes they do. They are just tiny brushed motors. I did this to a set of older, slower motors last year, and the difference was quite dramatic. My guess is that since these motors were designed as pager motors, they weren't as cleaned up as brushed motors for planes are. What happened to me was that the motors exceeded the capabilities of the airframe. Straight was good but a turn was a problem. I think I could have fixed that by changing the incidence of the motors, but at the time I didn't know what that meant.

What I did was to take the motor/prop assy, drop one into a cup of water and run it at full power until the gunk pops out. It was a clearly visible cloud. Repeat for the other side. You also need to run the motors for a bit to get them dry, the hit them with canned air to get them dry, then add a drop of teflon/oil into the motor and run it.

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
trroadster

Tim
Have a look at:

http://www.modellbauvideos.de/x-twin...zzy-chick.html
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

That thing flies great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Garrett1234567

Tim, its good to know youll still be here. I cant wait to see the vapor. How does it fly outside. I went out and got another mcx, bnf, so i have one modded for fast ff that i can take outside on calm days, and one left stock to flie inside.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Garrett, I haven't taken the MCX outside since it's mods, HMMM. As for the Vapor, you want one. You may not understand that yet, but trust me, you want one. It's a 3 channel, 15g wannabe 3d plane. It's simply amazing. I find myself flying that instead of my bigger, faster models.

As to leaving, well I quit one forum, where I think the threat is from, but at the end of the day, what are they going to do? Ship me to Okinawa?

Tim
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 PM
micro_builder

Fair enough, Tim, and good to see you stick around

Speaking of the Vapor, and getting off topic Have you guys seen the 4/5th channel mod
for the Vapors RX? It only works with certain RXs, ones that dont have the AutoBind feature
built in, but you can solder on an external rudder servo and/or 5th channel servo for whatever.
Takes about 3 minutes of soldering if you're handy with the iron, and a Toki bio servo weighs
less than a gram, so having a 4 channel 3D type flyer is quite possible. Pretty sweet little mod!

Nick
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
trroadster

Been down building my second Dizzy Space. If you haven't checked out the other planes on that site, have a look. Some really interesting projects. Especially the Short.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Nick, my Vapor has the sticker. I assume the 5th channel is accessed through the pushdown of the right stick? Like the MCX.

Here is the drawback to my participation, albeit renewed participation, to this thread. There is a possibility of a mod crashing the thread, and gettinig upset that we don't discuss the Ace only, and doing strange things. If that happen's then I will withdraw.

Tim
Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
trroadster

if that happens then I suggest we all find a new "home".

Anyway, I'm also building the pilatus P4 sailplane for AA components from the site sited above.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Garrett1234567

Micro, that mod sounds great. Have you done it or know of video of one modded. I would love to see that.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 PM
micro_builder

Tim, actually I'm not sure how the 5th channel is activated with the stock TX, but that little green dot seems
to at least tell people whether their RX will work with the mod or not.

As for mods sticking their nose where its never been needed before, all I can say is we've gone much further
off topic in this thread before, and after a thread of 7,000 posts, all for one little 2 channel toy plane, its nearly
impossible to stay 100% on topic. But I digress!

Indeed, Garrett! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcfQgmt3ffQ
here's another video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987571
I've stripped down and rebuilt a BA 2.5g servo to make a lightweight rudder servo for this mod, should be able to
get it to around 1.7g only, but we'll see. I'm also redrawing a set of plans for the Mini Infineon, it was a great
little 3D flyer with my bigger gear, so I thought I'd try a true micro sized version with the Vapor RX and 4th
channel for rudder. Might not be fully 3D-able with the stock brushed gearbox, but it should be close.

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.