Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

HELP! My PicooZ is Out of Control...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

HELP! My PicooZ is Out of Control...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM
fighttheban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! My PicooZ is Out of Control...

i have a major problem with my picooz'z ( i have 2 ) when the light goes out, the heli can only fly for about 10 seconds before it loses power-why is this?[:'(]
Old 11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Xanthius

Hmmm, sounds like bad batteries. How long does it charge for?

Check charger batteries, make sure they are good.

This weekend, my son's would only charge for 10-15 seconds. He tried this 4 times. The battery was slightly low, causing lift loss.

I ran the heli for about 10 mins, until battery was obviously low, then it took a full recharge for 14 mins! After that it flew fine.

Also, the lipo battery in the heli CAN be changed, but it is a bit tricky...

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:04 PM
agbe007

the cellotape work for a bit wathch should i do
Old 12-25-2007, 01:08 PM
agbe007

hi i got my picooz helicopter for christmas but it starting to spin anti clockwise i tried putting tape on it work for a bit then started to spin again would should i do
Old 12-25-2007, 05:42 PM
EnTg

Hmm... I recently bought the apache model of the Havoc from target, and it worked for about a minute before starting to spin...and not stopping. I've tried the trim, bending the boom every which way, adjusting the pitch of the tail rotor, replacing the tail rotor, adding weight, adjusting the main rotor, all to no avail. The best I could do is make it fly with the stick all the way to the right, and that's with -hours- of tweaking the rear rotor to just the right pitch. Do I have a bad rear motor?

Maybe I should just return this thing. It's so frustrating. [&o]
Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
USNRol

I got an Air Hogs Havoc heli for xmas and must say it's a blast. I have already experienced the squirrely flight complained about here but found that even a single tiny fiber in the tail rotor axle can be the culprit. I crashed mine into the fake snow on my xmas train layout and it sucked up the fiber there. And it's very hard to see...way smaller than a hair. Also Don't know how much it helped but it didn't hurt; I dropped one drop of light oil on the tail rotor axle shaft to minimize any friction there. Heli runs great.

USNRol
Old 12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
TempMember

ONE working solution to the anti-clockwise spin!:

I got it after a few minutes (and some crashes) of testing my new PicooZ. No matter how hard I tried to trim it to clockwise spin, it kept rotating anti-clockwise and I had to pull the stick to the right to reduce the spin, but it was still quite useless.
I tried to lubricate the rear motor with some thin oil, but it didn't help. In fact, I think it got worse. I tried to lube it again - still not better. The blade and the whole chopper looked fine, and the only way to tell that there was a problem with the motor was by blowing on it and comparing that with blowing on the rotor of a chopper that worked, and mine required a harder (but still soft) wind to rotate.

Now, instead I began to think that the oil was still too thick and in fact stopping the motion. I removed the rotor and added drops of pure alcohol, spinning and rinsing it by short boosts with the throttle. After a few more drops - problem solved!
Now, my chopper is steady again! No more oil for these tiny fellas! Try it!!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Neurotex

TempMember, the drop of oil on the tail rotor shaft does work.
Sometimes it may take a few minutes or even running one charge
to get the oil working into the motor. You may have used too much
oil and the alcohol thinned the oil you used. I wouldn't advise
using alcohol for lubrication. Cleaning maybe but alcohol has no
lubricating properties.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Phill Kenoyer

I've been searching a fix to my spinning problem for a few days now. After a few hours of playing with my heli, the tail motor just quit working. I thought it just died and I would have to buy a new one. After messing with it I found that the little plastic end cap where the wires going in was pushed out a bit. I used a tooth pick and pushed it back into the motor and now it works just fine. I'm flying again, until the next problem. ;-)
Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Phill Kenoyer

ORIGINAL: Phill Kenoyer

I've been searching a fix to my spinning problem for a few days now. After a few hours of playing with my heli, the tail motor just quit working. I thought it just died and I would have to buy a new one. After messing with it I found that the little plastic end cap where the wires going in was pushed out a bit. I used a tooth pick and pushed it back into the motor and now it works just fine. I'm flying again, until the next problem. ;-)
Agh.. Scratch the working fine part above. It works great at quarter throttle, before it actually gets off the floor. While it's on the floor I can maneuver it very well. Turns both ways and everything. But soon as it gets off the ground it just does 360's. The rear motor is now working, but it's not spinning fast enough for proper flight. Well, that two hours with it was sure fun. I guess I'll have to buy a new one or just give up all together.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 PM
preston3050

hi im new i got one for my birthday. it worked great at first but now that i have to charge it it wont work. the only thing it does it the rudder on the back spins. if i put it up to full power the rudder stops. i have tryed recharging it agian and agian and replacing the batteries in the controller but it still does the same thing. what should i do?!?!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
TempMember

Neorotex: Well, I didn't consider alcohol (pure) to be lubricating, but instead ridding me of lubrication and tiny rubbish perhaps caught in the oil. Maybe the perfect amount of oil of perfect viscosity would work, but in my experience, it would need to be incredibly thin for these tiny motors. Rather nothing at all, I thought.... but now, the magic alcohol effect is kind of on a hangover... or at least, back to normal....
Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Neurotex

Dirt, dust & cobwebs, (mine always seems to find that hidden cobweb)
may be working there way in between the bearing & shaft. The oil may
just be helping burn out the gunk but pure silicone didn't seem to help
any. I've used the 3 in 1 oil several times and it's worked so far.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Phill Kenoyer

I grabbed my heli today set it on the floor and starting playing with it. It was actually working today! I flew it until the battery ran down and put it back on the charger. Then when it was done I tried to play with it some more. Now when I press the right lever to the left it powers up the main prop. If I'm flying it with the right level pushed half way and I push the right lever to the left it will stop the motors and the heli will fall to the floor.

So the right controller will power up the motors when pushed to the left, controls trim to the right.
The left controller will power up the heli, but if it's at half position and the right controller goes left then all power to the motors is off and it drops out of the air.

All, well. It was fun while it lasted.... a whole three hours.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Phill Kenoyer

OK, now it's flying perfect. I just don't understand it. Sometimes it doesn't work, and sometimes it works great. I'm back to having a blast with it.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
mzinner

found another possible cause for the spinning problem: i got two of these helis, one was working, one spinning (non-trimmable). close comparison showed that in the bad one the tail motor was further inside its casing (caused by a crash?). Maybe the motor axis now touched the plastic on the far end? Pushed the motor out very carefully, now it runs fine again. the gap should be about 1mm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24468.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	839303  
Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Phill Kenoyer

I also figured that out. I can push it over and it flies better. I was flying well, but now it's back to the spinning. I'm ready to just give up on this. One day it works the other it won't.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Funksmaname

I just got the 'Sky Challenger' 2 PicooZ heli set for my b-day, and it was awesome fun for a day, but one of the helis (the red one) now spinds anti-clockwise out of control... trim doesnt help putting both next to eachother it seems the one that doesnt work tail engine is higher off the table than the other - does this make a difference? i'm totally new to RC so please let me know what i should try - i'm just scared of snapping off the tail trying to make them the same... it IS straight :S

maybe i should send it back to the shop and have it replaced... it seemed to happen for no reason - not directly after a crash...?

will keep an eye on this thread for any updates.
Thanks in advance.

p.s. i've tried changing the tail rotor to the spare one supplied, doesnt help. i've also tried both controllers on the offending heli - the problem is deffinately the heli.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
nickfloat

ORIGINAL: Xanthius

Looking forward to it.

After more thought I see it must be related to that rear rotor. I suspect the best fix may be using tape to extend the tail flap forward to catch more air (??).

I will be trying that soon and posting results...
hi, am afraid if you extend the tail with tape, your heli will spin more and more. this is not a 90' size gasser with a lot of torque! I had this recurring problem with the spinning counterclockwise after a severe crash and tail blades replacement, that was not being corrected even when tracking clockwise to the max. I realised that the tail blade was not running fast enough to stop the heli spinning, simply because the tail blade was dragging too much, sucking tail motor power drastically. I just cutted a 1mm thick piece from each rear tail blades with a cutter, and the heli worked fine again. the tail motor is very tiny, and if the tail blade is too heavy, the motor won't run at its optimal speed (calculated and set in factory in the controller chip).
In a general case talking about these very lightweight helis, each gram is crucial, any time you can lighten the heli, just do it, this is always the best to improve flying performances and duration.
for example, instead of pasting the little weight tapes delivered in the box under the nose to increase forward motion, I removed some foam at the back of the body, and some tape under the tail, which got the same effect as pushing weight forward, without adding any. of course when you cut something, always beware what is behind and do it step by step, checking flight performance each time.

a little note about copies of the picooz, I got one and I must say that it is really bad, it does not lift at all!! even after removing the WHOLE (massive hughes 500) foam body, leaving just the squeleton, the heli hardly lift off, and the battery lasts on the good days...1 minute! I think the battery is too small or very bad quality, as rotor motor speed is very low regarding the genuine piccoz motor.
silverlit is a bit more expensive, but it flyes! don't buy copies, you will spoil your money.