Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Mini storm launcher

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Fiannawolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini storm launcher

Man, not much going on with the MSL. After checking all the conections with a multi-meter and still not seeing any problems, I'm thinking it may be time to just a get a stand alone charger. I'm not quite sure if I found one that will work. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNAC2&P=0 You may have to copy and paste. It says that the charging rate is automatically adjusting between .1 and 3amps and it detects between 1-4 cells. That seems like it should be alright for a 300mAh battery and latter for my Blade CP. I'm not sure if I want to go with a higher end one since it will be quite some time before I will be using 4+ cells with very high capacity. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Dan, that should work. Tim
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
ZeekWatson

I'm hoping there is someone good with electronics out there that'll come up with a mod to get rid of the control delay. The Mini's turn without throttle feature is rendered useless due to the 1 second delay between giving a direction, and the motor actually turning ...
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Fiannawolf

Sounds good, thanks for the advice. I will place the order at my LHS the next day I have off of work. I am curious though, how does the charger detect and know what rate to charge at? I can see how it knows the number of cells by sensing the voltage, but the current rate seems tricky. No big deal, but I just like to know things.

Dan
Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Capt. Cadabra

I have read tons of message boards about the MSL, and am still having problems with it being "under powered". A few facts:
1. I have a Havoc Heli, Acro Ace, and Reflex coming soon (no problems so far.)
2. This is my 2nd MSL, tried multiple charges, flights, conditions, etc.

Here's the problems:
1. Won't take off from the ground.
2. Won't climb much higher than where I throw it from (like a paper airplane)
3. Motors just seem too weak.
4. Motor delay.

After returning my first one, I thought it just wouldn't charge enough power to fly correctly, but I think that is just how they are made. It flies straight fine, but turning more than gently causes it to crash, and it won't take off from the ground (as advertised).

Any experiences with this?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:07 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

sounds like it might be a bad battery. mine took a good 10 feet or so to take off, but the motors are quite strong and it'll climb quite well. the motor delay is part of the programming on the RX though, its a safetey precaution so the RX doesnt get fried from too many amps being pulled at once. its a good feature, but the delay can be a pain sometimes (gotta think a few seconds a head!).

i know the stock TX charger doesnt give a complete charge, another safety precaution, but if you've got your own lipo charger you can get a full charge and more power.

the elevator can be pretty sensitive, a little bit of up or down trimming can make a big differance in the planes performance. try bending the elevator up and see if you get some more lift.

if all else fails, maybe the 3rd times a charm - return and replace
Old 05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Capt. Cadabra

Thanks for the tips. I still trying to debate whether it is just the way it handles (and I don't love it), or I need to exchange it for a different type of RC. I love my Havoc and Acro Jet (not Ace as I posted before), so maybe something different will float my boat (or plane...)
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Lantash

Hey, I just baught a MSL, and I manage to forget to turn everything off before I put the charger in. Does anyone know what I'll have broken? The light on the controller comes on every now and then, I'd appreciate some help fixing it
Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Fisher

Fiannawolf,

Did you end up getting a charger to work with your MSL? I have a Mini-XPV that flies great. 200' range and handles wind too. Love it but it goes through a lot of batteries. Would like to use a different charging method. Please let me know what you ended up with.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Fiannawolf

Fisher, the charger I bought works great. The charge time is about the same, but the run time is much longer. I not not had any trouble with over heating batteries or the like. I am not sure what size battery the mini XPV has, but if it like the mini SL, I think its a good choice.

Dan
Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Fisher

Thanks Fiannawolf ,

I will have to consider digging around in my tool box for the crowbar so I can pry open my wallet and spend a couple of bucks. Man is it ever tiring being cheap.

I was really hoping to find a LiPo cell that I could drop into the TX so I did not have to haul a charger to work. I have a desk drawer that holds the plane and TX just fine for a quick flight in the morning and a noon time spin. I will give it a bit more leg work.

Thanks again,
Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 PM
ninnon

Hi, I have an original storm launcher. When I try to charge my LIPO battery, it just blinks red forever. I have left it charging many nights, though it never turns green. I have tried putting it in my storm launcher, and my rutter just twitches, and the storm launcher won't turn on.... ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
Thanks,
Ninnon
Old 10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Fisher

ninnon,

You probably want to post this question over on the main Storm Launcher thread. The first thing you want to do is check the voltage of the battery with a regular volt meter. If it is too low then the charger will not charge the battery. What happens most often is that the charger is simply not contacting the battery terminals completely. Keep trying to re-seat the battery. There are many posts on the main Storm Launcher thread dealing with this very issue. Sorry I do not have more direct information.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
ninnon

what is re-seat? I have looked for the thread containing my issue, but have found none. I understand why this might be happening, but you said to try and re-seat it. I'm not sure what this is and further help would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
UKrocketeer

i have a MSL i got it on amazon for $25 with shipping and i was wondering how to take the wheels off, can anyone post a video or a guide on how to remove them?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I think wheel removal instructions are in the instruction book.

Tim
Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

i returned mine awhile back and got a mini xpv. insane range and wind resistance. other than a close to hour long charge time its a must have!