Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

How to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 AM
BIOMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to start

Hi,
I have - unfortunitly - put a lot of money into this hobby. I bought a nice Sig Kadet but it turns out that that is not a good plane to learn to fly on (If anyone is interested I have the splinters in the garage...). A friend recommended that I try the Areo Ace. I have one and it is a lot of fun.

I would love to get in the "real hobby" but I don't where to start. I am looking for a plane that can take a crash - or a lot of them - and that I can teach myself to fly.

Any Suggestions?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: How to start

It's a big mistake to try and learn to fly by yourself. I suggest you join a local club. It will be quicker and you'll enjoy the sport much more. I tried to learn on my own and found it hard to "dig out the little nuances". You really need someone to give you instant feedback as to what you are doing stickwise!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
BIOMAN

I discovered that with my Sig... (and I had barely gotten into the air) however, there are no clubs that I can join right now.

I am looking for a very forgiving plane (also forgiving on my wallet) that I can fly either indoors or outside when it is absolutely still. This is the indoor forum so I was hoping that you experienced flyers could help me.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

i learned to fly on my own, the Stryker F-27 was my first plane and its a good thing it can take a major beating.

unfortunately, there's something of a gap between all the micro RTFs and the hobby grade planes. that gap will get partially filled with the new kyosho/parkzone Cessna, but the price is that of 5 AeroAces (which is still actually a really good deal). i think the main reason for this is because the micro RTFs are designed and built knowing that they'll be crashed. the hobby grade planes are meant for flying, rather than crashing, so most of them dont handle the bumps and buises as well as the micro RTFs.

how big of an indoor area are you flying in? if its your house, your options get small real quick. if you've got a gym to fly in, then you've got some options. if you plan on doing some gym flying, you might get some good ideas from the foamies/parkflyer forums. anything with a 24" span, give or take a few inches, will probably suffice. another option would be to buy some EPP foam and start making your own birds. EPP is the best foam out there, its what the AAs are all made of, its nearly indestructable.

maybe something like the firebird or similar planes would be a good start. i dont know much about them though, but they seem quite popular for starters.

nick
Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
ehelibuff

Micro is right,

You need to find someone that can fly to help you first, or get a foamie. Foam is very forgiving, and doesn't cost much at all. The best as he said is EPP. It's very tough, and flexible. Plus you can use super glue on it, unlike regular foam.

The Aero Aces from Air Hogs fly great, and will teach you some basic left/right controls, and orientation. If you crash, they bounce.

Surely your wallet can handle $30.

The bigger the plane the better. A good starter is the "Easy Star" from Multiplex. It comes with everything Ready To Fly!

Thats an ecellent trainer into the electric, and or anything in flight really. Made od all EPP type foam.

Eric
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 AM
BIOMAN

Well, I have an Areo Ace and I can fly it rather well (I suppose its not that hard to fly a 2 channel)...

I am looking for something that can fly either in a gym or on a small field.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
ehelibuff

Get a 3D shock flyer from Ikarus, or Hobby lobby. They have a wide selection of planes for fields, and gyms.

Eric
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
andrewtexas123

Or get a slow stick!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
ehelibuff

Yeah, that works too....
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 AM
BIOMAN

Thanks for responding... makes me feel loved!

I have heard about the slow stick but I haven't heard about 3d shock flyers - aren't they too advanced for a newbe like me?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
ehelibuff

Depends what kind you get and how you set it up. you can set almost any plane up to be very smooth and stable. the more nose heavy the smoother also. and minimal throw on the controls..

Eric
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
BIOMAN

So which shock flyer would you suggest? How should I set it up?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
ehelibuff

Well do the rubberband prop saver for sure, and set it up with minimal travels on the controls, and make it a bit nose heavy..that will make the plane very tame... the larger the plane, the easier they are to fly. You can put a lesser motor on as well if you want it to be very tame. That would make it very easy to fly if thats what you are looking for, and have some simple aerobatics.

Eric
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
BIOMAN

Sorry, I hate to be a pain, but which plane are we talking about?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM
ehelibuff

I think most of them are about the same really.. But if you find one that has a larger wingspan, and or more wing area, from the other line of models, that will be a more stable plane usually. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-yak.htm

There's a larger one than the others, cheap and easy to build. It's something you can easily get used to if you start off easy with it.

My lil nephew learned to fly on one.

Here's the nemesis I was talking about that I have..http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...er_nemesis.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x06rEFfEuOg

Eric
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 AM
BIOMAN

Eric,
Are the shock flyers 6 channel? What motor and battery would you suggest I put on it? Will it be hard to learn to fly by myself?

The nemisis looks awesome! I think I may have read a very positive review on it... Would that be better than a shock flyer?

Thanks for your help,

Jack
Old 05-25-2007, 04:22 PM
ehelibuff

The shocks are 4ch. There's a sale on the Phase 3 Ultimate bipe at Hobby People for $10. It's a shock flyer basically. Use a 7.4V 950 mah li-po and a cheap KMS motor... I don't know your skill level, but if you've never flown a full on r/c, i'd ask for help from someone, or practice on a sim.

The nemesis is very popular, but extremely edgy! I finally got mine flying great, and so did Micro Builder. But those are a handful! That's an experts plane.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 PM
BIOMAN

All right, thanks for the advice! I will try and let you know what happens...
Old 05-27-2007, 03:40 PM
ehelibuff

If you want a Nemesis, Here's a shock flyer vers. This would be fine for you, and still have the sweet lines of the Neme. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEMESIS-Aerobati...QQcmdZViewItem