Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

*NANO HAWK-mods, disscusions, and Q&A.*

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

*NANO HAWK-mods, disscusions, and Q&A.*

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NANO HAWK-mods, disscusions, and Q&A.*

ok so i thought we should have an official thread for all the pilots of this tiny plane. a set place to look for mods, and discussions and questions and answers. so far ive had alot of fun flying this lil plane in my 10X14 living room. however i did notice it tended to porpous (bob up and down) during flight. it also had alot on nose up during flight too. here are a couple things i tried to correct it.

first i tried using canards. for this i simply took clear packing tape, roughly 2 inches long, and roughly 1/4 an inch wide. folded it almost completely in half except for a small amount at the ends that i folded outwards as to have enough of the sticky part of the tape exposed to stick it to the nose of the plane. if you try this your going to need to angle the canard so that its creating down force on the nose. it did work fairly well, but the nose was still slightly up in the air, and it still bobed up and down. i ended up removing the canards from it.

next i decided to try something that i did to my aero ace bipe, which was to cut the length of the lower wings in half. now on the nano hawk cutting the lower wings in half isnt possible as you wont have a connecting point for the mounting piece for the rear horizontal stabilizer. so i cut the lower wing off 1/4 of an inch from the outside edge of the support. i must admit im very pleased with the results of trying this. it flies almost completely level, without any bobbing, and is significantly faster, but not to fast so that i cant still fly in my small living room.

id suggest it to anyone who is having the same issues as me, but do so at your own risk as it may have different effects on different planes. i now have 2 nano hawks and noticed that both have distinctive flight characteristics. my next mod will be to solve the issue of the spiraling nose dive during fully held right hand turns. i hope to see some post from any nano pilots with your mods, or your questions or comments. chris
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *NANO HAWK-mods, disscusions, and Q&A.*

well im back with yet another mod i tried, if it can even be considered a mod, but i took the ends of the lower wings that i cut off and taped them back onto the lower wings using the tape that comes with the repair kit. only i didnt tape them back on exactly the way they were. instead i taped them on so that they are further back on the wing, about halfway. i dodnt tape the lower side just the top side. as of now they will fold up slightly during turns. but as of now it no longer does the right turn death spiral. it will if i hold it for a longer period of time but holding it right for short periods of time doesnt cause it to death spiral. im going to try taping the underside and see if it effects it or not. but i wanted to post this new info for all of you in case anyone has tried cutting the edge of the lower wings off. chris