Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Parkzone Ember repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
mtbikerbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Ember repairs

Hi All,

I have a Ember that I have been flying for a while, and this is a seriously cool little plane. With more daring flights I have been a little rough on it and have noticed that the front wing supports have cracked. I first tried CA, but that didn't last, then I tried urethane glue and that didn't last either. I am thinking epoxy and maybe a little carbon rod for reinforcement. Any ideas or suggestions? Yes I know I can replace the whole fuse, but wheres the fun in that!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94412.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	992331  
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Ched

Default RE: Parkzone Ember repairs

Mine broke there too. Front and back on mine. I too tried different kinds of glue and none worked very long. ( usually broke in one or two crashes ) I repaired it real good but it was hard. I used a carbon fiber rod about .030" in diameter. I used a lighter and burned the rod in the middle leaving some not burned on both ends. My freind Slappie showed me this trick. The glue burns out, the fiber will glow red hot and you wiggle it around to get the ashes off. It looks like hair when you are done. Burn just enough so that you have enough to wrap under the fuse and up both sides of the wing bracket. Then take unwaxed dental floss and wrap it around the the wing support bracket to tie the the flexible splint on both sides of the breaks. Use a curved needle to help wrap the dental floss or thread. (thread is not as strong but should be ok on this size plane) After it is wraped a few times, mainly around the break, soak it in CA glue. Try to not to use a big rod or lots of glue and thread that would make the ember heavier than nessasary. It is easy to pull the motor out of the gearbox with small pliers and a slight twisting motion. Then the wires won't be in the way when you are sewing the flexible rod in place. Cut off the excess rod after you glue it, if needed. I'm sure mine is stronger than ever and I didn't add much weight. I was cussing so bad doing this that my wife came running to see if I cut my finger off or something. Make sure both wing supports are glued to the fuse. If the back one is loose all the stress is on the front one in a crash. That is what broke mine in the first place.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
mtbikerbob

Thanks for the info Ched. That sounds like a fair amount of work. I got some plastic weld glue and that seems to have worked, but if it fails I may try your suggestion.

Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Disarray

Mine broke at the same spot. I just put foam safe CA on it, kicked it, and repeated the process until it was built to about 1/2 the thickness of the support. Hasn't broken since.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
mtbikerbob

Ched,

your repair seems to have worked, burning the glue out of the carbon fiber worked and made the fiber flexible. I used a piece of dental floss that has a firm end on it (for use on bridges) made by gore, as in goretex, and that worked great, no need for needles.

As a side note I have found that number 61 drill blanks work great prop shaft replacement, these are hardened steel shafts that cost about $2.00 at any tool supply company and depending on how you get them you could get two out of one shaft.

Bob
Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Ched

ORIGINAL: mtbikerbob

Ched,

your repair seems to have worked, burning the glue out of the carbon fiber worked and made the fiber flexible. I used a piece of dental floss that has a firm end on it (for use on bridges) made by gore, as in goretex, and that worked great, no need for needles.

As a side note I have found that number 61 drill blanks work great prop shaft replacement, these are hardened steel shafts that cost about $2.00 at any tool supply company and depending on how you get them you could get two out of one shaft.

Bob
I think that drill blank would last forever. They are tough.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I just ordered an Ember, and after reading this, I may just add some epoxy reinforcement there to keep it from breaking!

Been flying my Vapor for a week or so outside in the evenings (virtually no wind). Had so much fun with it, I figured I ought to try the Ember!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
wproct

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

I just ordered an Ember, and after reading this, I may just add some epoxy reinforcement there to keep it from breaking!

Been flying my Vapor for a week or so outside in the evenings (virtually no wind). Had so much fun with it, I figured I ought to try the Ember!
That's exactly what I did. Bought vapor first and went back for the ember. Both are really cool little planes, but I prefer the ember, especially for outdoors.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Ched

Make sure both wing supports are glued to the fuselage. The back one was loose on mine. This puts too much stress on the front one and it will break. During a crash the back one would slide and the front one would then take all the stress.