Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Parkzone Ember Died

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM
wproct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Ember Died

Have a Parkzone Ember that I have owned only 4 days. Been flying the heck out of it outdoors as winds have been unusually calm. Was having a blast until all of a sudden I lost directional control. Brought it safely down and discovered that the rudder servo had died on me, the servo was just spinning but not moving the rudder. Must have stripped it's gears. Has anyone else experienced this with the Ember or Vapor?
I called Parkzone and they offered to send me a new circuit board with servos, and I opted to return the whole thing for replacement. Kind of regret that decision now, as I'm sure it's going to take a lot longer to get the replacement plane than if I had just taken the circuit board. Oh well.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Ched

Default RE: Parkzone Ember Died

I haven't heard of any vapors with stripped servos. They are made from better parts. The other parkzone micros all had servo problems. It isn't the gears that strip. It is the slider block that the control rod attaches to. There is a metal all thread that screws the slider back and forth. The threads are very tiny and not very deep on the all thread. Parkzone has a better all thread on the vapor. You did ok by sending it back. That is the best way to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
wproct

Thanks for the info, ched.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
wproct

Well, some people are just plain unlucky. I got my replacement Ember from Horizon Hobby today. Charged the battery and got the little guy ready to go. Everything seemed to work ok until I checked the motor. I would increase the throttle, the motor would run for about 5 seconds, and then shut down and the airplane would make a steady beeping sound. Called Horizon back and they said that it sounds like a defective ESC and that I will need to return it for replacement. I'm just about ready to ask for a refund from the dealer and chalk it off as a bad venture. Just curious, is anyone else having these kinds of problems with their Ember???????
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
J-MICHAEL

Wproct ~

Get a Vapor ! I have two and love these things ! There so dang light also that you can't really break or strip gears in a crash...Lol.. They say 12 grams, but they actually come in about 13 or 14g. About the equivelant as two nickels... I can't believe how much fun these little suckers are ! You won't be dissapointed. Send the Ember stuff back to Parkzone, and tell em' to send ya a vapor and then you'll be happy.

Video of my Vapor. Just got these a few days ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhE8fQypGj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe5Q5yGEVKU

Have a good one,

~ Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52814.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1010800  
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
wproct

Thanks for the input, J-MICHAEL. Actually, I already have a Vapor, and you are right, they are a super cool little plane. I just really also liked the Ember that I had as well. This afternoon I called the Hobby shop that I bought the Ember from and told them of the problems that I had been having. They told me to just bring it in an they would replace it for me. Can't beat that! That's what I should have done in the first place, but was just trying to follow what it said in the owner's manual. Anyway, I took it back to the Hobby Shop this afternoon and got the replacement, and so far it's been working like a charm. These little things are a blast! I love to do aerial combat with the barn swallows in my back yard.

PS: I enjoyed the videos.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
J-MICHAEL

Great ! At least ya got things resolved...Glad to see ya got a vapor....

Take care,

~ Jeff
Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
wproct

Well, I'm three for three. My replacement/replacement Ember has malfunctioned on me also. Another rudder servo problem. It will intermittently just lock up causing a spiral dive and crash. The first couple of times I couldn't figure what was going on, but finally just holding the airplane in hand and manipulating the rudder stick on the transmitter let me see that it was just locking up. I really love the little Ember, but with three failures, I'm afraid I'm giving up. Going to take it back to the Hobby store and exchange for something else. I had only flown this last one about 6-7 times.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Ched

ORIGINAL: wproct

Well, I'm three for three. My replacement/replacement Ember has malfunctioned on me also. Another rudder servo problem. It will intermittently just lock up causing a spiral dive and crash. The first couple of times I couldn't figure what was going on, but finally just holding the airplane in hand and manipulating the rudder stick on the transmitter let me see that it was just locking up. I really love the little Ember, but with three failures, I'm afraid I'm giving up. Going to take it back to the Hobby store and exchange for something else. I had only flown this last one about 6-7 times.
Three bad embers in a row !! I would give up too. I hope your vapor makes up for it by never giving you any trouble.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
BigShrimpah

I am on my third replacement Cessna also. All of my planes had issues with the rudders and one even burned up a circuit board. What I have found is that you have to keep the servos lubed. I lube my servos on my 3rd plane every few flights and it has been working fine. The problem is that the little rubber o-ring kinks sideways and jams the servos if not lubed. I just use some light weight synthetic fishing reel lube.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
wproct

ORIGINAL: BigShrimpah

I am on my third replacement Cessna also. All of my planes had issues with the rudders and one even burned up a circuit board. What I have found is that you have to keep the servos lubed. I lube my servos on my 3rd plane every few flights and it has been working fine. The problem is that the little rubber o-ring kinks sideways and jams the servos if not lubed. I just use some light weight synthetic fishing reel lube.
Thanks for the info, BigShrimpah
You know, I kind of wondered if maybe lubing the servo might help, but I was afraid to try it for fear it would void the warranty. I'll tell you, I like the little planes so much I might just get another one and give the lubing a try. Just curious, are you able to fly the Cessna outdoors on really calm days, and does it have adequate power?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 PM
BigShrimpah

You know, I kind of wondered if maybe lubing the servo might help, but I was afraid to try it for fear it would void the warranty. I'll tell you, I like the little planes so much I might just get another one and give the lubing a try. Just curious, are you able to fly the Cessna outdoors on really calm days, and does it have adequate power?

Not only on calm days, but believe it or not I actually fly on pretty windy days. It has more than enough power to fight the wind, but does get tossed around a bit so you have to be on your toes. I enjoy getting it really high into the gust then cutting the power and seeing how long I can keep it up in the wind. I can also fly inverted then roll out within feet of the ground. I remember reading something about the directions for the Citabria saying to cut the plane open and lube it right out the box. I wish I would have done this on the 2nd plane that the rudder jammed within 2 minutes of flight.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
wproct

Not only on calm days, but believe it or not I actually fly on pretty windy days. It has more than enough power to fight the wind, but does get tossed around a bit so you have to be on your toes. I enjoy getting it really high into the gust then cutting the power and seeing how long I can keep it up in the wind. I can also fly inverted then roll out within feet of the ground. I remember reading something about the directions for the Citabria saying to cut the plane open and lube it right out the box. I wish I would have done this on the 2nd plane that the rudder jammed within 2 minutes of flight.
Thanks, BigShrimpah for all your words of wisdom and encouragement. These little airplanes are just way too cool to walk away from. I took the Ember back to the Hobbyshop today and exchanged it. This time I took a Citabria. I brought it home and did exactly what you just said. I cut it open and lubed both the gearcase and the servos. It's too windy out today for a first flight, but hopefully I can accomplish it in the next couple of days or so. The Citabria is more of a scale aircraft than the Ember was and it looks really cool. I hope this one holds up, as these things are just a ton of fun. I'll report on the first flight. Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
wproct

Just an update. I've got about 10 battery recharge flights on the Citabria thus far, and everything is working great so far. I have lubed the motor gearcase and the servos once again in this time and the servos continue to work well. Hopefully all continues to go well. These little planes are a lot of fun!