Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

MICRO MUSTANG, OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:02 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MICRO MUSTANG, OPINIONS PLEASE

i ordered this micro today. from what im reading on that site, and from the video it looks to be a good plane. and the price is also really nice. anyone have one of these? im just curious to get whatever info is out there. thanks guys

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/micro_p51...54848_prd1.htm
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: MICRO MUSTANG, OPINIONS PLEASE

I haven't heard of anyone that has it.
Since you have one on the way, do a detailed review for us
Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM
diabolic-mind

will do wheelnut. i can already say im not going to have great things to say about the controller. it looks alot like the controller for the playmate. im wondering if the right stick on it controls ailerons and elevator? ill do a nice review of it for everyone though.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Diabolic the right stick will control the elevator and the ailerons. That is the standard setup for 4 channel planes. I have not heard anything about this plane.

Fern
Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 AM
diabolic-mind

thanks for the info fern, im sure alot of people are not buying it over the parkzone p-51 due to the fact that it is only 3 channel. but im going to give it a go regardless. i heard alot of people bashing the flyzone playmate and i bought one anyways and i ended up loving it. so with this mustang im not going to judge a book by its cover. ill be sure to do a detailed lengthy review of it once it arrives, right down to unpacking it. ill take alot of pics too and see if my girlfriend is up for shooting a video of it.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I hope I didn't come across as bashing. Several years ago when I wanted to move up from AeroAces none of this was available. Except Plantraco, and he and I had a disagreement. That led me to buying a Slow Stick, and to discovering the Badius Owners Club. On that trip I acquired lots of transmitters that were not interchangable, and lot's of neg shift tx's.

Right now I have a basic dsm2 tx, a DX7(tweaked), a Hitec Optic-6(tweaked) with Spectra, and a Hitec Eclipse-7 with channel 49 module, and a DSM2 module for the HiTecs. I also have 3 basic Kyosho tx's, a Red Hawk TX. I gifted forward a HiTec Flash-5 and sold a Hitec Laser 6 for a nominal amount. And a Master AeroAce tx, and some spares of those. And that is not the end of the list.

All I was trying to suggest was that anyone might want to start out with a single tx and then work forward. Does that make sense?

Fern
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
diabolic-mind

yeah it makes alot of sence fern, and i wasnt saying you specifically were bashing anything. im not even sure you said anything negative about them. if i could afford a dx6 i would buy one in a heart beat. but my budget at any given time is generally 100 or less. personally i could care less if people negative feelings about these planes that arent name brand planes. i like hearring the good with the bad obviously, it helps get a generalized idea as to what  to expect in some ways. but with the flyzone playmate i heard alot of negative feed back about it and at first decided against getting it. but out of the blue one day i was at a hobby shop out of town and i seen the playmate and bought it as an impulse buy. and even know i gotta say its one of my favorite things to fly, even over my old parkzone t-28 trojan. the playmate has turned me over to micro and ultra micros forever. i know most of you wouldnt think twice about getting this erc micro mustang because you can all afford the parkzone type planes. if i had the cash i would buy one too lol. but for me these cheaper brand planes do the same things and are just as fun. plus this mustang comes with 2 batteries, and a display stand fo it which i think is really neat. oh by the way i would suggest taking a look at it guys, the level of detail on this warbird is incredible. it looks alot more realistic than the pakzone mustang, and i think it would be a sick plane to mod some electronics from one of the mustangs into if you have a crashed one laying around. but i shoulld have mine in less than 2 weeks, when it arrives you guys will be getting a full write up on it with complete pics of the unboxing and all.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
echolmberg

Hi Diabolic!

I'd love to read your review about this plane. A couple of months ago I was on this forum asking others what their thoughts were on this plane compared to the micro Mustang offered by ParkZone. I ended up getting the PZ micro ONLY because you could bind it to other planes. But believe me, I see-sawed back and forth about a million times before electing to go with the PZ micro. But I do love the price of the Hobby Lobby offering. Who could argue with that?!? I, too, am on a small budget (family of four, single income, etc...)

FYI, the PZ micro Mustang is great to fly. I took it out for the very first time two days ago and it was my first time in the air in about three years. After four or five shaky flights of getting the trim figured out, it flew like a real gem!!! At one point it was just circling over my head in perfect lazy circles without me having to lay a finger on the controls.

Best wishes and I'm looking forward to your review!

Eric
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
diabolic-mind

glad to hear your enjoying it, the main and probably most important difference between the 2 planes is the pkz p-51 has a rudder and the erc p-51 does not. from what ive read sofar it take a bit of skill to fly it because you done have use of the rudder to steer into wind and with using the ailerons to fight any wind theres a issue of it dropping from the sky in a high bank. but in all my time flying the playmate is the first plane ive actually used rudder on for steering. when i had the parkzone t-28 trojan i think i only used the rudder once or twice to do a knife edge and that was it. i prefer to use the ailerons and rudder for steering as it turns much tighter.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
echolmberg

I guess I'm so used to flying my other two park flyers: the Bleriot 3 by Ikarus and the Chubby Lady. Both of those used just rudder and elevator to steer. When I was flying the PZ micro Mustang the other night, it dawned on me midway through that I was only using the right stick which controls the elevator and ailerons. Then again, I don't do crazy stunt flying so I didn't really have a need to touch the rudder. I'm still getting used to flying a four channel system though. I was kind of afraid that if I used my left thumb to work the rudder, I'd also inadvertantly kick the throttle up and down which I don't want to do. So for me, it's a matter of retraining my thumbs to do what I want them to do.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
diabolic-mind

as funny as this is going to sound, playing first peson shooter video games is a good way of practicing lol. i play battlefield 1943 on the ps3 and play air supiority alot which is the same control setup for flying lol. its just a video game version of a sim i would say
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is something equally funny, I think, I wouldn't use my rudder(s) for years. Then I started fooling with it on my Bug. Then I started flying a Pitts and had to learn to use my rudder. Now I will be flying my wing and feeding in a ton of rudder and it won't do anything. I have also gone to 0 resistance on my throttle. I do tend to fly pretty hard

Fern
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
diabolic-mind

lol, i dont even consider rudder when im looking at planes anymore. i can steer a plane much more effectively using ailerons and elevator than with the rudder. plus like you i also fly my planes pretty hard. my plymate isnt really designed as a aerobatic bird but i fly it like one. i adjusted the elevator pushrod connection on the elevator to the inner most hole to give it maximum elevator input and it loops on a dime lol. plus hving it setup like that ive found that its much easier to hold a inverted flight. i miss not having a plane with ailerons though, cant wait to get the erc mustang cause im dying to barrel roll it and do himmelmans. i havent even got the mustang yet and im already considering getting the erc spitfire too lol
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Diabolic, have you seen one of my UM 4-site videos? I understand where you are, piloting-wise. But you are close to discovering the joy that is the rudder.

First you have to figure out the 3 channel rudder/elevator system. After that you have to figure out the elevator/ aileron system. And then at some point you have a plane with ailerons, elevator, and rudder. Suddenly when you are sideways you can go up or down. If you want to do a power roll, it is easily doable.

Fern
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah i know the wonders of 4 channel control. i used to fly a parkzone t-28 trojan. ive done it all with that thing power rolls, knife edge's, himmelmans, all that good stuff. but even with the trojan i only ever used the trojan's rudder mainly for taxi, and 2 or 3 times to do a knife edge, and power roll. however im starting to get an itch for a full out aerobatic plane that i could hover. the 4-site might be a future purchase for me, that or the new suhkoi. after i get this new mustang though my next buy is going to be getting myself a dx6 radio.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

If I can offer a recommendation, save up for a DX7. And watch E-Bay. Spektrum is going to release the long awaited DX8 soon. DX7's should hit the auction block in droves. This is in the next few months.

Good luck

Fern
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 AM
diabolic-mind

thanks for the tip fern i will def do that, i would have went straight for the dx7 but the price is so high lol.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I found mine for $125 on E-bay, so I saved $25.

Fern