Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2m Pattern Plane Weight Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2m Pattern Plane Weight Problems

Yes, you should be fine at all the regional, AMA sanctioned events. I have competed in two districts now and have never seen a scale. We all just want to see you come and fly what you got, even if it's not titanium infused

The AMA Nationals is the only place where you'd have an issue; that's a week-long contest in Indiana, which takes place once a year in the middle of the summer.

Welcome to pattern flying, it's a lot of fun flying and building relationships with guys from all over the country.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
sunfly3
My Feedback: (34)

Space City RC in Katy, Texas has its pattern meet May 7,8. With approximately 35 entries, we have a varied turnout with many experienced pattern flyers to give some inspiration and assistance. No scales at this meet. Consider this a club invitation to attend and enjoy a great weekend of flying and camaraderie. John A. Blackmon, Treasurer
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
texzen1

Thanks SunFly....
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Andy P.

ORIGINAL: texzen1

yep all makes a sense now.....i did expect to start out using the top of line stuff....i just didnt know it would take top of the line stuff just to make the weight.....(they usually let you on the ski slopes without titanium skiis.....the AMA rules state minimum 11 pounds and give the beginner and sportsman class a whopping 115 grams leeway.....i need a 1000 gram leeway.... knowing all this i would have gone the 110 route.... but the real grace is i guess the local club events are using AMA as a guideline and not really beating up people about the rules until you start competing in AMA sanctioned events....Although the one i went to in Houston was AMA sanctioned there was no scale to be found..... i feel better now....was worried i had bought and built a 13 pound fun flyer only....already had a shop full of those....

it will be ok....in just an evening i took it all apart, eliminated all unnecessary hardware (washers etc...) cut everything off the motor mounts that wasn't structural or functional, even put the motor on the mini lathe and knocked 22 grams off it....drilled every bit of over braced ply areas and completely reworked the gas engine bulkhead...and i got about 260 grams off the plane....thats 2/4 of a pound. A few reasonable priced mods and some (competition only use) reduced power batteries and ill be able to 12 pounds and some small change. That will have to do...even with a top of line motor, carbon motor mount, prop, spinner and lightest batteries know to mankind, it would never make 11 pounds. Oh well it will work well to practice my sequences and if i get crazy about the sport again I'll have to spring for one of the Delro Jupiters....

I am by no means cheap...have 60 grand in sport motorcycles....i just left the sport years ago saying if i got back into it i didn't want anymore $4000 airplanes riding on a $3 clevis....

A little light hearted humour to help ease the pain.............................................. .......

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8331454/

Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 AM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

It has been a while, clevis are now 4.99!

Chuck
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tex,

If you switch to himax 6330 (21 oz), you will save 24-21 = 3 oz. Some of the f3a geared motors (e.g., Neu F3A) weigh even less (around 17-18 oz).

With a pair of Blue 5s 5000mah packs instead of Turnigy's, you will save another 3 oz. BTW, Turnigy packs use heavy 10AWG wires and can be cut short by 1".

Some of pictures your plane may help to identify additional weight saving potentials.

Even though it is not an issue with weight limit at local contests, it is still a good idea to reduce the weight so that the plane flies better.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sunfly3 and texzen1...just a date correction on the 2011 Space City contest. It will be held April 30th/May 1st, because of Mother's day May 8th. Texzen1 look forward to having you attend.

...Sunfly3 you must of really liked that plane LOL.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
texzen1

took it all apart for 4th time looking for where the weight comes from....even with the lightest 4000mah batts or even 3700's and a neu motor gearbox at 18oz it would still come in at 12.6 lbs. its the airframe, mainly the fuselage, too much ply in it. it weighs almost 5 lbs without any batteries or engine. oh well it looks good....im just going to fly it compete in sportsman if they let me and and keep an eye out someones retired or wrecked composite plane...

BTW I worked on my $50 towerpro motor 5330-10T which has really good performance (very close to a hacker, AXI or Himax even a little better). Took it all apart, winding resistance match was almost dead on and to published specs. Nicely mounted magnets with ceramic spacers, and decent Japanese sealed bearings. it was a little heavy at 672 grams (not much more than the AXI). I rifle bored the shaft, removed all excess shaft, increased the case ventilation holes a bit, shortened the lead wires and replaced the bearings with titanium bearings units and now its right at 596 grams. The efficiency was increased a tad (wattage down) and the RPM's were up about 180 r's at full throttle... all just for fun really....