Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sebart 110 Motors and issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebart 110 Motors and issues

I've allowed multiple votes, so if you've tried a few different setups please include them all. Maybe this is just for my own good, but I'm wondering if there is any relation to the provided, fixed rear motor support and the issues that many of us have had. Note that people have had issues with both Scorpion AND Hacker, and possibly others.

I started with the 250 Scorpion using the rear support. My motor fell apart, as did the rear support. Before the real trouble, I noticed the rear support would flex, sometimes screws came loose, and eventually the rear support broke when the motor finally kicked the bucket. I haven't yet had issues with the 210 motor, so generously lent to me during my down time, with which I have omitted the rear support (thus I have voted twice).

I often see motors supported at both ends, but with some kind of rubber/damping material around one of the supports.

Hopefully someone will get something from this...

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Sebart 110 Owners: Please Vote

I had no motor issues (recommended Hacker) but the rear support mount screws backed out and the mount came loose and destroyed itself. Made a new one and it also came loose but no damage this time. I put the screws back in and added a few drops of thin CA to secure the rear mount. I've had no issues since then with the rear motor support glued in place.
Dave Burton
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Rendegade

hehehe, that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. I keep tightening the screws as the end of every flying session. I've adready replaced them with socket head servo screws so I can get in there easy with a ball driver. but I'm starting to lose interest in doing this.

Is the rear mount really needed?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Tom Miller

The rear motor support came loose on the second flight and then I glued it in. After that there was always a strange "ticking" sound going on so I replaced the rear support with one I made with .25" lite ply and a new bearing from Boca. After a 100+ flights, no problems at all ... except for the landing gear plate breaking out. I fixed that with .25" aircraft ply and all is well. I did do a lot of re-covering just to make the airplane more visible in flight to me .

It is a very good airplane even though it is not an all composite monoplane

Tom
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Rendegade

well you know what they say about composite monoplane pilots

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7504259/
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
mlovitt

Joe, your signature line should read something like this............... Then your problems would disappear lol

Joe Marri
Wind-S 110/Hacker A50-16L; 69" Yak/OS 120AX; Venus 40/OS 55AX; Airtronics SD-10G
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: mlovitt

Joe, your signature line should read something like this............... Then your problems would disappear lol

Joe Marri
Wind-S 110/Hacker A50-16L; 69'' Yak/OS 120AX; Venus 40/OS 55AX; Airtronics SD-10G
Funny, as of 10min ago it's going to read:

Wind S 110/Neu 1512/3.5D ...

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
mdjohnson

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: mlovitt

Joe Marri
Wind-S 110/Hacker A50-16L; 69'' Yak/OS 120AX; Venus 40/OS 55AX; Airtronics SD-10G
Funny, as of 10min ago it's going to read:

Wind S 110/Neu 1512/3.5D ...

Guys

I have been running my Wind 110 on the Scorpion 4035-250 for a year now with no issues (as I touch wood while saying that). My setup is a Castle Ice 100 ESC and 8S Turnigy/Zippy batteries using an APC 18x12E propeller. I have had ESC issues but the motor has been very reliable with no spitting of parts. With an ambient OAT of 85*F I can put my fingers on the motor can and comfortably hold them there after a 7 min flight. I do not know what the motor temp is but it is warm to the touch. I have measured static power at 62 amps and just under 2000 watts. I estimate that I have 250-300 flights with this combo ( I am a lazy bugger and do not log). I have never used therear support.

Cheers

MJ

Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
rv-4

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup to 10S packs and I'm looking into Hyperion motors.
Can anyone tell me if there is a mounting problem with this combo?
I think that Hyperion motors can only be mounted in front of the firewall.

Can someone recommend any motor for the WindS 110 that can use 10S packs?

Thanks,
Sharon.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Jetdesign

If you don't mind an inrunner, Neu has many options, and probably the most power and least weight. I just got one but will be weeks before it's mounted. Hyperion motors, if I remember correctly, have same mounting as scorpion and hacker. Some say they are made by same people who make scorpion. You have to watch diameter unless you want to cut.
Hyperion is also heavy.

The scorpions have had problems, and now Scorpion has changed settings and even officially listed the 4035 as an 8s motor, probably admitting they overrated their proDuct.

Most 10s motors have 60+ mm diameter, Wind 110 is restricted to 50mm without modification.

Neu has setups that will work great on 10s, and if you decide the lighter P32 gear is ok for you, can do a 10s setup at around 14oz; about 18oz with P42 (1512 series).

S Neu himself runs a 1512 on 10s in a similar sized pattern plane.

Safest route, my opinion, is 8s hacker w/o rear support. Increase cooling area, run 18x12. Without rear support and with good cooling, I bet heat won't be too big of an issue.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rv-4

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup to 10S packs and I'm looking into Hyperion motors.
Can anyone tell me if there is a mounting problem with this combo?
I think that Hyperion motors can only be mounted in front of the firewall.

Can someone recommend any motor for the WindS 110 that can use 10S packs?

Thanks,
Sharon.
Sharon ... new big Hyperions are all BACK MOUNTED. So it will be an issue.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 AM
rv-4

Tha't what I though.
Any other recommendation for 10S motor (outrunner preferable)?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: rv-4

Tha't what I though.
Any other recommendation for 10S motor (outrunner preferable)?
The airplane was specifically designed to run on 8S. The plane flies very well on the Hacker A50 and 8S lipo. Finding a motor to fit and run on 10S is a real challenge.

Do you mind cutting/modifying the motor compartment?? Changes everything. I have put an awful lot of thought and effort into this question (basically over a year's worth), and the choices of outrunners to run on 10S that fit without modification is very, very slim.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am lucky that my Scorpion 4035-250 is still holding up but I have not put in that many flights to justify that the motor is decent for a 10S set up. Like what gaRCfield says ... outrunner=8S for less issues.