Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM
hezik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Wouldn't there be IC and EP versions of this bird?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No. Chris has said there are no plans for an IC version.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
hezik

I think they made the right decision in that, but for glow powered flyers.. the prototype was glow powered:

(note the big YS stickers on the cowl)

Now I don't know how much difference there is between that prototype and the production version.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Matt,

I really think any sort of an IC motor will beat the hell out of this airframe. It's not designed to be able to handle the vibration of a glow/gas engine.
Could be. You apparently have one to be so sure that it won't work, so is the wing/stab balsa veneered foam or balsa sticks?

I'll get a chance to see Archie's up close next weekend. One thing that appears true from the photos, the lite ply used on their 78" Extra is likely the same as used in this model. It's very good material. Construction technique appears the same. It should be a matter of how much bracing has been designed in. Easy enuff to determine close up.

Archie, apologies up front for taking your thread on a small tangent. All I'm gonna say on this subject

Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Matt,

After looking closely this evening and discussing with a couple of guys at my field who fly bigger glow stuff. They agree, the structure is definitely there. The fuse is almost all light ply, and I think its possible. It would definitely take some modification, but I do think the structure is there.

Arch
Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
rcpattern

OK, back to the thread. I was able to get 4 more flights on the plane today. After slightly adjusting the incidence, I now have zero mix in any attitude, including down lines. The more I fly it, the more I like it. After adjusting the rates slightly, I was able to get the snaps, both positive and negative snaps were very clean and easy. I am very happy with how its flying.

Arch
Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

My only question on the design of the airplane so far is the wing adjusters. How did they work for you?

I'd think when I get mine I'm inclined to use Gators in the rear and as supplied in the front.

Tim
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
rcpattern

Tim,

They work well, but they aren't as easy to make small adjustments as the Gators. It can be done, but its hard to make quite as fine movements. Gator's in the rear and these in the front would work great. These do work, its just tougher to make very small incremental adjustments,

Arch
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
viva_peru

Hi,

Nice build thread and flight report. It looks like I can even put one of these together myself. Any chance of maybe filming one of the flights, ideally with the plane flying through one of the sequences? It is funny, but it seems that many of the videos used along with the review or to promote pattern planes (Sebart comes to mind), show the planes flying something other than a sequence. It would nice to see a pattern plane actually flying a sequence.

Thanks,

Teo
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 AM
rcpattern

Teo

I am working on that. Having a tough time locating a camera that is worth using. I will say though, that I was able to put up a Masters flight yesterday that would make the finals, so the plane has no issues. I plan to let anyone who wants to fly it this weekend in PA get a flight on it.

Arch
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 AM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: hezik

I think they made the right decision in that, but for glow powered flyers.. the prototype was glow powered:

(note the big YS stickers on the cowl)

Now I don't know how much difference there is between that prototype and the production version.
Structurally most of the plane was similar. The nose area was different on the glow prototype. It also had a pipe tunnel. The more I look at this one, the more convinced I am it could be done. This fuse is more heavily built than my Black Magic as the motor box area is all light ply and very rigid.

I am sure Matt will chime in after he is able to look at mine this weekend.

Arch
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Dave55

Arch

Very nice plane and a great build report. Looking forward to seeing it at the Pax field. And ,you can take a pull on my Osiris and tell me what you think.

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM
rcpattern

Sounds good Dave. I definitely want to give you some time on the sticks. I plan on being out all week getting ready for a contest this weekend and next. I wont be out at all either weekend, but should be out most days in the evenings,

Arch
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 AM
pappy35

So, being a bit disappointed about not being able to get one, when will the next batch be here and will will there be enough of them to supply us non-sponsored, mere mortal flyers?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Mid-June is the best guess I think.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Mastertech

As I understand it there were a total of 5 imported. The next batch should hit in around 6 weeks. They will not take preorders either.

Tim
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
pappy35

Well, I sure hope they get more than 5 next time, I've been waiting years, literally.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Gee Arch, ya got it done quickly! I know it's an ARF and all but I never get em done that fast. Either you really work quick of the plane really goes together fast..... or a little of both. I'm very happy to read that it flies so well. It sounds like the perfect "serious but not too serious" pattern guy plane. Thanks for the time spent posting the build and the flying comments.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Mastertech

Scuttle butt was (And we know how that is) 150 in the next shipment.

I really liked what I saw on the ground and in the air.

Will a "serious" FAI guy fly this in "serious comps?"

I really doubt you'll see Chip with one at the worlds

Will the rest of us fly it in "Serious comps?"

Will they be all over the circuit and the Nats soon?

You betcha.

Tim
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Scuttle butt was (And we know how that is) 150 in the next shipment.

I really liked what I saw on the ground and in the air.

Will a ''serious'' FAI guy fly this in ''serious comps?''

I really doubt you'll see Chip with one at the worlds

Will the rest of us fly it in ''Serious comps?''

Will they be all over the circuit and the Nats soon?

You betcha.

Tim
The Focus was flown that way.....It won the F3A Nats in Donny's hands. A very capable airframe in the hands of a very capable pilot. A very forgiving airframe that has been flown for a decade by expert and novice alike

This new model has an awful lot of similar promise. Maybe even more....but time will tell.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

Gee Arch, ya got it done quickly! I know it's an ARF and all but I never get em done that fast. Either you really work quick of the plane really goes together fast..... or a little of both. I'm very happy to read that it flies so well. It sounds like the perfect ''serious but not too serious'' pattern guy plane. Thanks for the time spent posting the build and the flying comments.
Mike,

It really went together nicely. It took about 7 1/2 hours and I wasn't rushing. Stuff just fit. I'd sit down to do something and then the next thing I'd know, I'd done 4 steps as they just go really quickly.

Arch
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Arch,
Glad to see and hear your first flights went well.
Yes, the Vanquish I was "Posing" with in the picture WAS powered by a YS 1.70 and flew nicely with it. I don't quite remember if it "Made weight" or not but nonetheless really flew well.
As far as I know that will still be the other color scheme available when production kicks into high gear....but as far as a "Glow Version" all I can say is Electric for the near future.
Blair
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: pappy35

So, being a bit disappointed about not being able to get one, when will the next batch be here and will will there be enough of them to supply us non-sponsored, mere mortal flyers?

As Arch stated, this was the build thread and he doesn't know any more about availability as I do. We were hoping to have gotten more from the first shipment but it didn't happen to work that way. We ARE expecting more in the next shipment hopefully withing the next six weeks or so.
As Arch stated before, he is NOT an Extreme Flight sponsored pilot but was more than qualified to do this build thread and get the plane out there for people to give a go at the sticks.
I too am waiting for mine...and I knew about it long before anyone else....and after flying both versions I have just as hard a time as the others.. ;-)
Blair
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Can't wait to get my hands on one. Sounds like it really is a winner all the way around. The fact that Extreme Flight can mass-produce an up-to-date predominantly wood airframe, and have it EASILY come in under 11 pounds without using the lightest available components is awesome. Hopefully it'll give other companies some incentive to give this a try as well. It sure is nice to know you don't HAVE to spend $2-3k to get a truly capable 2M F3A airplane.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a chance to fly Arch's Vanquish today, as did a number of other guys. It's a very straight flying airplane, way better than my thumbs, and it isn't hurting for power. It's very impressive to fly and well built. The fit and finish is very good. I didn't hear a single disparaging comment from anyone who flew it.

I love to build but this thing changes the game, I don't think I could finish out an electric to that weight for the price. I know I have more into my VF3 than $650 just to get it to the point of being ready for motor and radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.