Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Jeti Spin 99 - any updates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:43 PM
cchariandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeti Spin 99 - any updates?

I was a little surprised by the popularity of this pretty old controller at the WC.

Can anyone comment on updates to the firmware or hardware used on these controllers over the last couple years? Have Jeti solved any problems or improved performance in any tangible way since inception?

Colin.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Jason Arnold

Default RE: Jeti Spin 99 - any updates?

Not sure why you're surprised... The Spin 99 is an awesome controller. Rock solid performance and reliability. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Whilst it's not the lightest controller on the market, I think its reliability more than offsets any weight disadvantage.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeti seems to take a more traditional approach to product development in that they do extensive inhouse testing and probably with selected field testers to ensure the product as delivered performs as expected. To date they haven't delivered a product that is field upgradeable to provide new functionality or correct design issues. More of an 'old school' approach as compared to other companies that deliver an upgradeable product that has gone thru testing and is released to the public which typically finds some issues then new software is release to fix those issues as well as possibly adding functionality.

I have mixed feelings about the 2 approaches. On one hand, I like the extensive testing approach where the developing company is taking the time to test and release a product that doesn't need 'fixes'. But this approach prohibits adding functionaliity in the field. On the other hand, getting a product to market faster with reasonable testing and expecting to find a few 'bugs' certainly makes the company more flexible. They also have the ability to remain more nimble and can add functionality to extend the life of a given product.

As an example, I am still running a Jeti/Hacker 77 (pre Spin series) which has many flights on it (well over 1000) and has never exhibited any issues. Jeti released the Spin series which added a great deal more functionality but the fireware is still not field upgradeable. The business model seems to work for them. Castle Creations takes a different approach. Their controllers are field upgradeable to be able to fix 'bugs' and/or add functionality. Their business model works for them. These are the only 2 controllers I have experience with for pattern type applications so can't speak to how other companies release products.

I would say however, if a product is marketed and there is release after release of firmware, I would question how much in depth testing is really being performed. I have always resented being a test bed for manufacturers and try to resist the initial releases of products tho I weaken from time to time and then have to remind myself to never ever try a 1.0 version of a product. 1.1 can be pretty bad too when a manufacture scrambles to fix a problem or two and creates more problems behind the scenes.... ;-)

Woodie
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
MalteS

Recent Jeti Duplex products are field upgradable.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
cchariandy

I'm no Historian but if you searched this forum on the Jeti 99 you will find a ton of horror stories regarding issues dating back a couple years. So either users started operating the controller differently, Jeti fixed the issues or this current very relaible, awesome and rock sloid controller is a new version released without anyones knowledge.

I was looking at used controllers and have no idea at what point the issues went away.

Just wondering is anyone more knowledgeable than the average user and has the details.

Colin.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: MalteS

Recent Jeti Duplex products are field upgradable.
I just checked the Jeti website and don't see any Duplex ESCs. Radio components on 2.4G but no ESCs. Perhaps I am not looking in the right area?

Woodie
Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM
woodie

The initial release of Jeti Spin series had some data logging issues but I am not aware of 'performance' issues (ie managing the motor). I could be wrong tho. It has happened a couple times.

Woodie
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 PM
cchariandy

Do the search....motor stops in flight, motor will not start, motor starts in reverse etc.

These issues are clearly no longer occuring. Just trying to find out how updated the current version is compared to all new controllers like the YGE.

Colin