Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
 Tx motor settings for electric pattern motors? >

Tx motor settings for electric pattern motors?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Tx motor settings for electric pattern motors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx motor settings for electric pattern motors?

Hi. If this has been covered previously just point me in the right direction and I'll mosy on over for a look see.

I'd like to set up my Futaba 12Z to do a really good job on throttle for pattern. Trouble is I'm not sure how to define good or how to implement it.

Right now I have the throttle set up from -100 to + 100 with a linear curve

Throttle cut is on a switch with cut position 17% and brake is off.

It all works and I have lots and lots of flights but the problems are:

1. I don't get to use the full movement of the throttle stick as the motor doesn't come on until the stick is 20% up.
2. I would like when I take the cut switch off for the motor to come straight up to idle and full stick down to still have the motor running slowly, but I can't seem to set this with the trim control as the motor always turns it self off when I move the stick back down to zero.

Motor is a Hacker C5010XL on 8S and a Jeti ESC if it matters. Actually I'm wondering if the ESC needs some programming as well, and if so what?

Advice appreciated as it will save me time having to figure it all out for myself (getting too old for that).

cheers
Dave in Sydney<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Tx motor settings for electric pattern motors?

Dave in Sydney

I have a 12Z myself and have the programming set up to give me reverse expo as a throttle curve. You could do the same thing using a point curve but I never found it necessary. I was primarily looking for more throttle response at the low end. Make sure that the Jeti is set up for fixed end points and use a throttle cut position on a switch at minimum throw of 0-5%. I then use a second switch to switch between two idle positions which are motor not turning when on ground and brake on if you are using a brake. The other position is what I would call a flight idle. This higher idle is done by using a throttle to throttle mix to start the motor turning and set the idle to a level you like in flight (useful for stall turns etc).
Setting fixed end points should take care of your large throttle stick gap but in any case you can take care of it through throttle to throttle mixes.

I used to fly aerobatics out of Sydney 20 years ago. Flew down in Wollongong and was a member of the Illawara club. I really enjoyed my stay there. Saw quite a bit of NSW and Victoria just by going to pattern comps. Not sure who is still active that I flew with/against.

John Gayer
Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The first thing I'd do is set the ESC up for fixed endpoints rather than some auto calibrating setting, that way you know the ESC will respond to the throttle setting the same way each flight.

Adjust your endpoints. Consider the ESC in fixed endpoints as your traditional carburetor, -100% and +100 TX endpoints don't fit all carb/servo/linkage arangements, so don't expect them to fit in with what the ESC wants to see for idle and full power.

Fine tune the throttle curve to suit. Every ESC responds to the throttle input differently (power out vs throttle position), even different software versions loaded into the same ESC can change the endpoints the ESC wants to see and changes the power output for any given throttle setting.

A perfect example of the above two points is my Castle Creations ESC. Two different software versions on the same ESC require different TX endpoint settings AND different throttle curves to spin the same motor/prop at the same rpm for the same stick positions.

All being said though, I find that once the endpoints are set I like to fly with the throttle stick in the middle for cruising around, so I set the throttle curve to give me cruise power at mid stick.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks guys. I'll sit down and play with some of these ideas over xmas. 

John I don't know the pattern people at all, as I mostly fly F5B /glider for comps and freestyle aero for fun.  However I have 2 metre Vanquish that should get finished up over the next week or two. So I'll be out at Blacktown doing the odd sequence next year.

You definitely see the country travelling to comps. I've been to Kiev, Pitesti (Romania) and Muncie flying F5B and  had fun at all of it.