Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Choosing: Vanquish 2m or Axiome 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 AM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing: Vanquish 2m or Axiome 110

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some feedback/thoughts on potential airframe choices. I have the opportunity to acquire either a 2M Vanquish or an Axiome 110 (both EP). I know generally when faced with a choice between a 2M airframe or a 110 airframe the decision is straightforward. However, I was wondering about the differences in flying characteristics due to the different design (e.g. one has a T-canalizer, swept back wings). Based on videos and simulator models of CPLR's design (I have flown the Oxalys in my sim) it seems like they roll especially nicely. Or is there really not much of a difference?

Thanks,
KC

Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Choosing: Vanquish 2m or Axiome 110

Ken, are you familiar with the Australian saying "that's about as good as a man short"? IMHO and based on my experience only, I feel there is no comparison between flight activities on a simulator and the actual flight with either a 110 or 2m size pattern plane. I prefer my own direct input based on how I set up my planes versus the computerized/programming approach that the simulator programmer has produced for you. I realize you can apply changes to the program but, it is never going to be the same. But, like everything in the marketing world we all live in, there's something for everyone so, you spend your money and take your chances. If it comes down to overall afforability, settle for at least the 110 size plane. If the 2m plane is affordable than by all means go with it. There is nothing more frustrating than to make an investment in any product and come up short of expectations. It's been my experience that you will not get anymore than you are willing to pay for! Do yourself a favor and try not to "play it cheap" with any of the many peices and parts that go into a pattern plane. Just my thoughts, Everette
Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KC,

I have not flown the Axiome 110, however, it is slightly smaller than the Vanquish. I have flown the Vanquish extensively and can say that you wont be sorry if you choose that route. The plane does everything well, and rolls very cleanly.

Arch
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 AM
cmoulder

If those are your only 2 choices and you intend to stay with Pattern, go with the Vanquish because it eliminates an unnecessary step toward the 2-meter standard.

You also save a lot of hassle with batteries and charging gear by starting off with a 10S setup instead of 6S or 8S. The up-front cost is a bit more, but much cheaper in the long run.

As Everette indicated, a simulator is a poor substitute for the real thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken, if you are not in a hurry, there is an even better 2m pattern plane (competitively priced) that will be available shortly. Personally, I'm in line to purchase 2 of them shortly! PM me for details if you are interested. Wish you the best and hope this has helped, Everette
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
KenChoo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good feedback. Please keep it coming! I'm definitely in no rush to get a new airframe, just getting ready for a purchase as it were by doing extensive research. For instance, I didn't mention it before but one of the considerations in choosing (or not) the Vanquish - I just read somewhere that they've changed the supplied hinge type from CA hinges to the point type (like Robarts) - and then I remembered some owners of the Sebart WindS Pro had issues with the quality of the provided point hinges, so it would worry me if they're using the same ones. Basically stuff like that as well as the flight characteristics...

But I definitely appreciate the input so far. Everette, will PM you shortly.

Cheers,
KC
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KC,

The issue on the hinges on the SebArt stuff wasn't the hinges, it was the holes that were precut into the wing. The hinges worked fine. I personally didn't have an issue on either of my winds, but I realized they were sloppier than I would like and I just mixed some micro balloons in with some 45 minute epoxy and I have over 1100 flights on one of my planes with zero issues. From a flying standpoint, the Vanquish is very competitive and does not lack in performance. I don't think you can go wrong with it,

Arch
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM
jayjayneri

The Vanquish flies great. I don't have an Axiome but I have never flown a 110 size plane that flies as well as a good 2 meter bird. And the Vanquish is a very good 2 meter bird at any price.