Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Converted Angels Shadow

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converted Angels Shadow

I just finished and test flew my 12 year old Angels Shadow. I was pleasantly surprised that the electrified plane came out 8 oz lighter than with the YS DZ. I have a page on my website that shows some of what I did for the conversion. The landing gear was changed to the Graph Tech Long legs from Chris Moon at F3A. I also used the HiMax motor, the 210 and the Power Unlimited batteries. I went with the Castle IceHV 80 controlle, as I have that in my Wind S Pro. On the bench the motor shows a draw right at 60 amps with an APC 20x14e prop. It has plenty of power and I am able to slow the plane down. I always flew to fast with the DZ for some odd reason. I still have another Shadow that is YS equipped, at least until my fuel stash of 10 gallons is gone. That one will also be converted. If anyone has a Shadow and wants to do the conversion I have the templates for the firewall and will share if requested.

[link=http://www.fancyflying.150m.com/angels.htm]Angels Shadow E conversion[/link]

Marty
Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Converted Angels Shadow

Marty, I went on your websight and can appreciate your efforts to convert the Angels Shadow to electric. Chris Moon has just about all the supplies that most of us will ever need to fly electric pattern and I appreciate his efforts and good business sense. Only one question, what is the AUW (with the batteries) now? I sure did love that plane back then and was glad you shared your experience. Wish you continued success, Everette
Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Patrnflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converted Angels Shadow

Everette,

AUW is 10.6 LBS. This is Shadow # 20 used in the 1999 Worlds by the Canadian Team (Tony Kreg). It is extremely lightweight, but was built very strong. I have flown this every year since 2003 and have logged more than 2000 flights. I know it was flown regularly before I received it. Ivan Kristensen trimmed it out and had an identical sister ship.

Marty