How long in the fridge??????

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

How long in the fridge??????

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Jim Grunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long in the fridge??????

I did not fly last year and was wondering how long my packs would last in the fridge? The packs were charged to the storage voltage on my Cellpro and put in the refridgerator 16 months ago. Each pack had around 35 flights.
Is it worth the time to try them or just get new?

Yhanks, Jim
Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How long in the fridge??????

Worth a try I'd say. Just make sure you can reset your ESC in the air if you get a low voltage cutoff.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long in the fridge??????

Hey Jim,

I don't know if there is an accurate way to predict - there seems to be so much variation to longevity and internal chemistry/quality of these packs, even among the same models/suppliers. And it has to do with the way they have been used - if a battery is over discharged once, the unbalanced electrical potential causes the chemicals to start reacting with their container/surroundings. If this happened even to a point where you didn't see any puffiness, it still opened the door for chemical reactions to occur at an increased rate during storage.

Storing in a cool place takes energy from the electrons and slows down the natural corrosion that happens to the packs (kind of like keeping food in a fridge

It is definitely worth a try. Treat the packs like new packs, slowly breaking in and/or cycling for a few cycles until the performance improves and steadies. If the packs were really built well, they may be just fine. Or you may end up using them for practice/warmup packs, or they may be junk.