Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Reflex set Up or Down?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflex set Up or Down?

I have a great planes older EP 48 in wing and converted to brush less motor , it comes in fast to land it and I can not flare the elevator before it drops out to the ground and bends the landing gear every time , I had it given to my by a club member , and I don't dare ask about the building history , so just for kicks , I heard if you add some reflex which I have never done on a low wing plane other than a flying wing , well can some reflex help me with the hard landings? bending the gear and which way to set the Reflex up or down this came with a mechanical one servo so to move the ailerons upward its a simple clevis adjustment. thanks to anyone that has any input on this reflex maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree to fix it I don't know , how ever I don't think I should add more weigh by stiffing the landing gear,
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Reflex set Up or Down?

Not knowing any other details of flying, I would say you might have some positive incidence on your wing or some slight positive on your sta.
Moving both ailerons slighly down have the same effect as adding negative to the wing. Try the ailerons and see if that will fix.
Also try slowing down by making your final longer or turning tighter to final therby losing speed.
Good luck
Crashlander
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: crashlander

Not knowing any other details of flying, I would say you might have some positive incidence on your wing or some slight positive on your sta.
Moving both ailerons slighly down have the same effect as adding negative to the wing. Try the ailerons and see if that will fix.
Also try slowing down by making your final longer or turning tighter to final therby losing speed.
Good luck
Crashlander
************************************************** ************************************************** **********************

Yes I have one servo control so I cant dial any reflex in , I will have to adjust the 2 clevises to bring both ailerons down a little ,
[how much is too much ]

how ever will the effect in flight speed or maneuverability? I have tried the long approach on landing , its seems to-need the air speed to feather in thank you

Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

...drops out to the ground and bends the landing gear every time ...

If that is happing then the wing is stalling. Raising or lowing the ailerons a bit isn't going to slow down the airspeed at which the stall occurs by very much at all or stop it from happening. Raising or lowering very large ailerons by a lot is the only way to make an apprecaiable change to the airspeed at which your plane drops out of the sky but it'll be a dog to fly if it you've got to do this permanatly via a linkage adjustment.

Your only hope is to come in at flying speed and hold off the touchdown with elevator which is a skill, because jerking in too much elevator prior to touch down and ballooning up a couple of feet before the stall is a plane killer.

If you lighten the plane any it will help, but the key is not to let the plane stall while a still in the air and long low landing approaches make it really hard to judge your airspeed. Depending on the location of the centre of gravity, how much your pulling back on the elevator as it slows down can be a good indicator of how close you are to stalling the plane...

Raising or lowering ailerons?? There's a couple of schools of though, my school being most of my planes are attitude limited during the landings (can't raise nose too high due to landing gear arrangement) so I lower the ailerons to increase the lift to land at a lower speed, however if you can get the nose plenty high enough then raising the ailerons a bit tends to reduce the wing efficiency (making it draggier) and helps the plane to slow down or come in steeper. There's subtle pluses and minuses to both methods..
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: crashlander

Good luck
Crashlander
thank you its on the right track for me
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

...drops out to the ground and bends the landing gear every time ...

If that is happing then the wing is stalling. Raising or lowing the ailerons a bit isn't going to slow down the airspeed at which the stall occurs by very much at all or stop it from happening. Raising or lowering very large ailerons by a lot is the only way to make an apprecaiable change to the airspeed at which your plane drops out of the sky but it'll be a dog to fly if it you've got to do this permanatly via a linkage adjustment.

Your only hope is to come in at flying speed and hold off the touchdown with elevator which is a skill, because jerking in too much elevator prior to touch down and ballooning up a couple of feet before the stall is a plane killer.

If you lighten the plane any it will help, but the key is not to let the plane stall while a still in the air and long low landing approaches make it really hard to judge your airspeed. Depending on the location of the centre of gravity, how much your pulling back on the elevator as it slows down can be a good indicator of how close you are to stalling the plane...

Raising or lowering ailerons?? There's a couple of schools of though, my school being most of my planes are attitude limited during the landings (can't raise nose too high due to landing gear arrangement) so I lower the ailerons to increase the lift to land at a lower speed, however if you can get the nose plenty high enough then raising the ailerons a bit tends to reduce the wing efficiency (making it draggier) and helps the plane to slow down or come in steeper. There's subtle pluses and minuses to both methods..
this tip you gave me Ill try it =come in at flying speed and hold off the touchdown with elevator which is a skill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20639.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1870518