Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Speed Control

Old 04-28-2017, 02:33 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speed Control

If you are flying electric pattern you ought to be using a Tech-Aero Designs' Throttle-Tech (TT). Speed control is very important in precision aerobatics and as a pilot you want your plane to respond consistently from the beginning of a flight to the end, flight after flight. We know a battery's voltage changes as it is discharged and we know all batteries are not the same and that their voltages vary with temperature. The TT does a very respectable job of overcoming these variables and giving us the consistency we are looking for. The charts below contain data at about one and a half minutes after takeoff and at nearly seven minutes into the flight. We can see that at full throttle (P4 at 100%) the RPM is nearly identical even though the loaded battery voltage has dropped almost three volts. The TT does this by automatically increasing the pulse width modulation (PWM) as the voltage drops.

​​​​​​​The actual motor RPM is 9.9 times the numbers shown and approximates the prop RPM after the 9.96 gear ratio of the Contra.

​​​​​​​Jim O
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Early.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2212236   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT late.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2212237  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 AM
Niall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim
Agree 100%, the ability of the Throttle Tech to provide a constant throttle feel over the course of a flight is definitely a plus. I have been using it for the past 2 seasons and find the unit helps hugely with the throttle/performance management throughout the flight. The feeling of getting to the end of a flight and struggling for power is no longer there as the TT has helped conserve and mediate the power over the course of the flight. Once you have the TT set to your liking you can just forget that its there so there is no ongoing tinkering required. I found the telemetry data very useful when setting it up.

Niall