Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Questions and advice for returning after a decade.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Questions and advice for returning after a decade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 06:08 AM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions and advice for returning after a decade.

So back in 2011-12 I actually went out to the NATs and was fairly active, but I dropped RC and pattern flying for various reasons, but now want to get back in. Being older and having noticeably worse eye hand coordination I'm planning on taking it VERY slow on getting back in. I'm actually flying a bunch on Real Flight even before I head out to the field for the first time, and I bought an E Flite Apprentice package which I gather is super easy/safe for beginners which I consider myself to be. However . . . looking to the not too distant future I'd like to eventually return to pattern flying even if I don't compete so that brings up a couple questions right away.

First the package deal I got with the E Flite has a crappy 'ole DXS transmitter. Eventually I was considering upgrading to a NX8.

Question 1: Assuming for a moment I'm not planning on competing and just looking for fun pattern flying on my own is there any reason to spend money on a fancy Futaba transmitter or do folks think a Spektrum NX8 is good enough?

Second, I'd like to dip my toes back in to pattern as cheaply as possible AND I hate hate hate building mostly cause I don't have the patience for it hence I'm thinking of an FMS F3A PNP Olympus as my first returning to F3A airplane.

Question 2: Is there something better than an F3A Olympus that is also PNP or is there some obvious reason to avoid the Olympus?

Finally I'd just like to say that I am open to any and all advice regarding my return to RC. I am certain there is a ton of info/questions I simply don't know I'm missing so thanks in advance to anyone that can chime in

Joe in NY
Old 10-14-2023, 10:12 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3A-OLYMPUS-PNP

here’s a link to a thread you may find of interest. Sound like a good ‘starter’ set-up.
I would go with 6s batteries. I have been flying r/c since 1969 and pattern since 1972, but only started flying e-power about a year ago which I like, but I am still a diehard glow guy. I have two electric airplanes: an Extreme Flight Laser 60” and a Naruke hobbies Asuyler. Both are 6S set-ups. I have 7 batteries which I ‘slow’ charge at my house. There are other excellent choices in this power range: the AJ Aircraft Acuity 62”, Sebart produces some nice choices available from F3A Unlimited, BJ Craft has released some very nice models in this size (top end of the price list) also from F3A Unlimited. If you like to build, Flight Hobby produces some beautiful kits available from RC-Japan.
Aside from ‘dumb thumbs’ an e-powered model should last a long time. Proper battery maintenance will provide maximum use. I have more than 50 cycles on mine with no issues yet. I’m hoping for at least 100 cycles (flights) per battery.
Good luck,
will
Old 12-01-2023, 04:36 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Joe

I have recommended an Olympus to a new pattern flyer but I have also heard from a more proficient pattern pilot that the Olympus, indeed any foamy, tends not to hold its trim like a wood model. As you have flown pattern in the past I would suggest that you look at some of the 70 size ARTF F3A models e.g. B J Craft Fantasista etc, as a much better restart. I do keep a 70 Fantasista to show newcomers to pattern how easy the aircraft are to fly - I've also had complete beginners on my 2 m birds but that's another story. These 70 size models hold their trim just as well as their 2 m full size brothers. BUT - you do need to know how to land accurately and gently every time!