Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Rookie Question

Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie Question

I just got a Brio 10 with the recommended setup: park 480, e flight 40A esc and a Tanic 1550 3S pack. I test flew it today and noticed that after the motor ran a while it tended to stiffen up a little almost as if something had expanded slightly. In other words, it doesn't spin as freely after the motor runs as it does before the motor runs. After a while it frees up again. Since I am new to electrics, particularly outrunners, I don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rookie Question

Was the battery connected when you tried to turn the motor? Whether the switch was off or not (if there is a switch), there can be enough 'bleed' (i'm sure the EEs will have a better word for it) through the system, with everything off but the batteries still connected, to have a field in the motor and make it difficult to turn. I had this happen with a model of mine, had me scratching my head for a long time.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Nope, battery disconnected.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:41 PM

i have an e-flite 370 outrunner that does the same thing, it doesnt get hot, but after i run the motor it wont spin nearly as loose as it did before i ran it. if i come back to it in a couple hours or more, its back to being real free again. i have prob about 50 flights or more on it by now and never seen any problems, at the same time i have always wondered if it is steeling some of my amps. i also have an e-flite 450 outrunner, 480 outrunner, and hacker A30 outrunner, none of these have this problem like my 370 outrunner. i will be watching this thread also to see if anyone else knows what this may be.

john
Old 05-17-2006, 06:48 AM

That's interesting. It sounds like yours is doing the exact same thing mine is. It seems to run fine, but I too have been wondering if it was robbing some power. I have contemplated returning it to see if a new one would do the same.

Brian
Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 PM

im sure if you return it, the new one will not act like that. i also have a 480BL and it doesnt do it, but my 370 does, weather or not is robbing power or not, i dont know. maybe its something that e-flite has on a small percentage of the motors that they turn out. but since its a rarity i guess its not all that great to have one as opposed to one that acts normal before AND after the flight. if i had realized that this was not completely normal back when my motor was new, i prob would have got it replaced, but as i said before, it seems to work fine, lol so who knows if its anything to be concerned about?

anyone else have some input here???? please post if so.

john