Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2 meter electric setups

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2 meter electric setups

less than LiPo - but that is the only negative point -
once you fly them and compare how the LiPos MUST stop short of voltage mins -or they DIE and the cost of the lipo and the fragility of them and the fire danger - etc.. You look for how to maximize the a123 good points .
In a Fu-k the cost approach to electric - Li Po rules -but I gave up on that approach--
at the moment my 3.4 lb aerobats perform about as well or better than the Li Po ones I have seen on 4 cell packs
The Czech flyers are seriously using these now in large aerobats - I will look at their results again
OD -is that you?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

OD -is that you?
It's me. Flying pattern again only because of eletric propulsion. I've got 100 flights on one set of Li-Pos and approaching that on two other sets. If they make it to 200 flights each I figure the cost is less than a high performance glow setup. In the meantine I'm really enjoying it.

Jim Oddino
Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
rmh

great!
The LiPo users I see- tend to abuse the cells and effective cost per flite goes sky high
I am going to do a 6cell A123 setup with a EFlite 60 motor and 16x10 prop - I spent a while this morning speaking with Rojecki about his litle 50 Showtime and a 60 and dual 4200 6 cell lipo packs
He says the plane is fast does all the good stuff for about 7-8 minutes with plenty of reserve
The auw is just under 7 lbs --about like one of my old Tipos done light
so-- if I build for the electric motor I can hit 6 lbs and 700 squares - should work

what are you flying ?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
FLYERSG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dick: Clearly, many RCers are using the A123 cells with excellent results. They certainly appear to be a safer technology and yes, they can be somewhat abused without as much risk as that associated with LiPos. My Partner 2 meter pattern ship, with Thunderpower 5300 cells, weighs 10 lbs 13.5 oz ready to fly. I thought I would compute the weight of my Partner with A123 cells. According to the A123 Systems website, each cell produces a nominal 3.3 volts, weighs 70 grams and is rated at 2.3AH. To put together a pack with sufficient voltage and current capacity to fly a Masters pattern, I would need two strings of 12 cells in parallel or 24 cells. With the resulting 4.6 amps of capacity, I could get through the pattern; however, that pack would weigh 59 ounces (without wiring/connectors) which would add 1 lb 3 ounces to the weight of my ready-to-fly Partner......not an option for me or most other 2 meter pattern ships being used today. Clearly, you are an advocate of the A123 cells.....but I don't see how they can be used in pattern competition due to weight. As a side note, I've been using lithium polymer cells since before most pattern flyers even knew of their existence. I follow the rules for handling, charging, storage, etc. and have had excellent performance without fires or other accidents/incidents. Again, I think the A123 cells clearly have a place in R/C, but I'm not sure, as a result of their weight, they will benefit the pattern community. If I'm missing something, please clarify.

Mike

P.S. I miss your production of outstanding pattern designs....have flown many of them over the years.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
EU1a
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I fear to post in the middle of a LiPo vs A123 debate, but this thread is very close to what I've been thinking about lately. I want to get back into pattern after a 20 year absence. I have a mistress and an EU1a both with screaming .61s. A little out of flavor in todays arena. I also have one of Dick's Dalotels. Built back in the 80's, It's never had an engine or radio put in it. Dick, I'm amazed every time I pick it up, how light it is. It's not 2 meter job, as this tread had asked, but I would like to make it electric. Dick, have you ever considered this model for electric or could you point me in the right direction?
Thank you,
Paul
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
rmh

points always brought up by guys asking about the 123 cells - is the rated power and the weight
first - off they are heavier - no question about it
however the useful charge for a flight exceeds the Lipos
because - you can run em right on down - not to worry- it does not harm em
it will ,however killLiPos

having to double a pack to get same useful power duration - is not true
you can instead, increase voltage and reduce capacity .
I use 4, a123 cells and get very good power for 8-10 min on 3.4 lb pattern model ( a Diamante )
the performance is good at the 40 + amps and a 14x7.
. If it goes flat -(and I have done it - I just land and recharge .
as good as same weight Lipo (11 ozs) yes I think so - I can pound em harder and use em longer than the lipos
I would not consider any of the current pattern designs - (2 meter ) -they are all designed for glow and in my book simply heavier than needed . I have done 2 meter 1280 sq 40 gas powered pattern models which were waaay stronger than required for a electric setup -so yeh -I think I can do it with A123 cells -at least it is worth a shot
The Dalotels were light but heavier than needed for electric.
I had a guy try one years back but the batts n motor killed it then.
I have a new pattern model I am doing -- for the ZDZ40 RE and I have dropped design weight again - I use foam flying surfaces and balsa fuselages so I get best sound damping - -I have looked at the really light all composite ones and -I just don't care for em -beautifully done but FRAGILE and $$SSSpensive.
If you are hung up on the curvy composite pattern look (I am not ) you will have a hard time dropping fuselage weight.
The Dalotel by virtue of its simple angular lines can be done more lightly . The early model can have the wings really lightened and the aft section of the fuselage poked full of holes also I would do a simple fixed position wire gear with doors in place.
Not having to design for IC resonance damping really opens the game.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 AM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone interested in the A123 cells/batteries, Brian at Tanic is selling the packs assembled.
tanicpacks.com

Emory.