Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Aspera vs. Vanquish

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 PM
knotnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aspera vs. Vanquish

I just wonder if there are those who have flown them both and their impressions..... I'm looking for an electric pattern ship and have narrowed it down to these two.... I beleive that either one would be a good choice... Pro's and Con's ????
Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Aspera vs. Vanquish

I haven't flown the Aspera, but I flew my Vanquish a few flights last weekend. It is amazingly stable and smooth for a small plane. I'm still playing with trim, but overall I'll give it a thumbs up. I'm not sure what others have found, but I think mine shows a little adverse roll with rudder and tends to pull slightly to the gear. It also needed some down elevator mix to low throttle to keep it from pulling up in a down line. With a little more mix tweaking, I think it will be a nice "fun" pattern plane.

George
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Xavier Mouraux

I am very happy with my Aspera. It has a Kontronic Cora with a 13x6.5E on 3S and it has plenty of power. I use a 2100 and a 3300 batterie with good results. The plane is 39oz with the 2100. I had a few friend fly it at pattern contest this year and they were all very impressed by the performance for a small plane like this. It could fly on with the proper motor and prop but I like the cheapper 3S batterie.

I have seen the Vanquish fly and it seems a very good plane also but I am not sure it would fly well on 3S

http://xavier.mouraux.com/ASPERA.html

Xavier

Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
knotnuts

Well let me throw an Element into the mix!!!!!!! In your opinion does the airfoil tail feathers make this bird better than the others??? Anybody every flown all three???? How 'bout two ouy of three????
Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

I'm waiting on the Element to be released- supposedly mid-late September. I have one ordered from Fliton and I'll let you know when I get it how it compares with the Vanquish.

G
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I am wondering the same thing. Was very impressed with Xavier's Aspera. Flew it through P-07 and it fit like my favorite shoes. Flew a Vanquish with the stock power setup a little later and it wasn't quite there. The owner had just finished it and hadn't really trimmed it. My take was it was nose heavy and had a weird throttle curve. May have felt a hair more stable and draggier.
Going to NEAT tomorrow and leaning toward a Vanquish because a I like the color scheme better. As good a reason as any!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

There are other power alternatives besides stock.

-Mike
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Xavier Mouraux

Hey Anthony,
The color is not a problem. I have to redo mine since I had a midair with the Aspera at NEAT on Saturday. Half of one wing was cut off in the air and the nose was crushed while landing verticaly from about 100ft. Amaisingly the prop is not broken. The equipment is all fine but I would need a left wing, a front fuse, a cowling and a canopie. It's surprising how strong is that plane even with all the cutouts. I am debating between fixing it, getting a new one or doing both. I just love it too much.
Xavier
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95032.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	764896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51643.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	764897  
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Anthony-RCU

Now that is a horrible shame! I hate to see a good airplane wasted like that. Glad to hear you didn't break any gear, especially that pricey motor. The great thing with that size plane is they are not expensive to replace.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
turbine50

The great thing with that size plane is they are not expensive to replace.
Tell me about it...

I guess I officially have an Aspera program going here with lots of spare parts. I'm using the Aspera for aggressive A123 lithium battery testing. It's smooth flight characteristics tend to make me let my guard down and something stupid happens. Since June, I've logged over 20 hours flying just the Aspera(s). My safety record has been one accident per 6.66 hours. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._1/key_/tm.htm

This happens to be my first pattern plane but it is pretty much the best flying plane I've had.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96180.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	765558  
Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Anthony-RCU

Test flew my Vanquish earlier today. Feels good but not perfect yet. Have some trimming and tuning but the biggest thing will be learning power settings. The Aspera seems to cut through the air like an older pattern plane the Vanquish needs to be pulled through maneuvers. When you get it right it is great when you are wrong it is still pretty good. Because of this the Vanquish seems to want 4S power if considering 3S you may be happier with the Aspera.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I've got 2% down elevator mix to throttle for downlines. Mine wanted to roll right with left rudder and left with right rudder. Both sides tucked a little to the belly. Have added some mix to compensate.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
vic_bull

Hello!

Which one of these planes handles the wind better especially more than 10 mph? I still couldn't choose which one to buy, and this ability might help me to choose. I'm planing to fly on 3S.

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Barye
My Feedback: (27)

The Vanquish flies better on 4s
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
vic_bull

Well, thank you for reply. I've read the previous posts and will take it into consideration.Still I'd like to hear an opinion what airframe of these two is better in the winds.Thank you.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPSiBWh8Ak

Here's an unedited 2nd flight on my Aspera on a simple 16C 3S 2100 cell and Hacker A30 16M. It's got plenty of pull, though the subsequent flight, with a genuine 20C batt was much better.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: vic_bull

Well, thank you for reply. I've read the previous posts and will take it into consideration.Still I'd like to hear an opinion what airframe of these two is better in the winds.Thank you.
The truly real answer is a bigger airplane<g>

If the Sebart Angel S was available when I bought my Vanquish, I would've definitely gone for the bigger plane.